RIP: To remember those lost to us, whether close or at large

Started by mamselle, June 03, 2019, 05:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

One of my former students passed away this week in a car accident. I have no words and I'm angry at the Universe.

mamselle

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on November 27, 2021, 12:21:16 PM
One of my former students passed away this week in a car accident. I have no words and I'm angry at the Universe.

I'd be angry, too.

Peace, in time, to you--and to your student.

M>
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: mamselle on November 27, 2021, 12:42:09 PM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on November 27, 2021, 12:21:16 PM

I'd be angry, too.

Peace, in time, to you--and to your student.

M>

Thanks. He grew so much, just to be cut down. Not even close to 30.

hmaria1609

mamselle

Three students killed (and six others wounded) by gunshot in their high school just north of Detroit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRUI4YcdhNM

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

mamselle

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on November 30, 2021, 07:06:08 PM
Quote from: mamselle on November 30, 2021, 04:45:03 PM
Three students killed (and six others wounded) by gunshot in their high school just north of Detroit:

M.

So sad.

A fourth student, one of the hospitalized with wounds, has died. All their names have now been released:

Tate Myre, 16; Madisyn Baldwin, 17; Hana St. Juliana, 14; Justin Shilling, 17.

M.

pgher

Quote from: mamselle on December 01, 2021, 05:59:25 PM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on November 30, 2021, 07:06:08 PM
Quote from: mamselle on November 30, 2021, 04:45:03 PM

M.

So sad.

A fourth student, one of the hospitalized with wounds, has died. All their names have now been released:

Tate Myre, 16; Madisyn Baldwin, 17; Hana St. Juliana, 14; Justin Shilling, 17.

M.

I was talking recently with my college-age child, and they said that Islamic terrorism doesn't really register on their radar of things to fear. School shootings do. They have become so commonplace, such a part of the landscape that their generation grew up in.

Parasaurolophus

It's so fucked up that it's so new and already omnipresent.
I know it's a genus.

mahagonny

the Dancing Grannies in Waukesha, WI

https://thefederalist.com/2021/11/23/a-requiem-for-the-dancing-grannies/

And a child has now succumbed to injuries cause by the terrorist attack.

mamselle

Quote from: mamselle on November 22, 2021, 05:31:54 PM

....and sadly, the 5 individuals, part of a downtown holiday parade, who were killed by an out-of-control driver fleeing charges for domestic violence in Waukesha, WI yesterday evening.

M.

...was poster earlier...but this...

Quotethe Dancing Grannies in Waukesha, WI

https://thefederalist.com/2021/11/23/a-requiem-for-the-dancing-grannies/

And a child has now succumbed to injuries cause by the terrorist attack.

...sadly, needs to be fact-checked:

Only three, not all, of the group called The Dancing Grannies were killed--not that any are not too many. Two other victims were unrelated to the group.

A sixth victim, a child, has died since: seven more remain hospitalized, three in serious condition.

The perpetrator was never identified by police as a terrorist, but as an individual, acting alone, fleeing a court summons in response to domestic violence charges in which he had previously run over his wife and child. He was out on bail, set low to prevent jail overcrowding, from previous, similar charges.

The judge involved has expressed regret at the perpetrator's having been discharged from the jail, given his subsequent behavior.

M.

WWUpdate

Quote from: mamselle on December 02, 2021, 09:48:11 AMThe perpetrator was never identified by police as a terrorist, but as an individual, acting alone, fleeing a court summons in response to domestic violence charges in which he had previously run over his wife and child.

To some people, a person of color is automatically a terrorist, while a white perpetrator is, at worst, a deeply troubled individual.

marshwiggle

Quote from: WWUpdate on December 02, 2021, 11:12:01 AM
Quote from: mamselle on December 02, 2021, 09:48:11 AMThe perpetrator was never identified by police as a terrorist, but as an individual, acting alone, fleeing a court summons in response to domestic violence charges in which he had previously run over his wife and child.

To some people, a person of color is automatically a terrorist, while a white perpetrator is, at worst, a deeply troubled individual.

And to some, the other way around.
It takes so little to be above average.

WWUpdate

Quote from: marshwiggle on December 02, 2021, 01:01:02 PMAnd to some, the other way around.

To some people, perhaps, but how often are white people referred to as "terrorists" even when their actions clearly fit the dictionary definition of terrorism--"the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims"?

mamselle

I did not post the clarification to invite a quadrangular shooting match on this thread.

Take it elsewhere. (reported).

M.