News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

thefora.org home page display issue

Started by Liquidambar, June 04, 2019, 07:15:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liquidambar

Here's a weird issue...  Using Chrome on a Mac, when I view thefora.org, it displays as though I'm not logged in.  However, when I click on one of the boards, I get "Hello Liquidambar" at the upper left and it knows I'm logged in.  The issue is kind of annoying because I can't easily see which boards have new posts that I haven't looked at yet.

This problem doesn't occur with Safari on the same Mac, nor with Silk on my Kindle.
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently

eigen

Odd. I don't use Chrome much, but I'll swap over and check to see if I can replicate the issue and why.
Quote from: Caracal
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

memyself

It does the same thing for me with Firefox on Windows 10.

eigen

Hmm, I can't replicate this on Chrome on my mac. When I sign in, every perturbation still shows me logged in- even if I close out of chrome and re-open it, open in a new tab, etc.

What version of Chrome/OS? I'm on 10.14.1 and version 74 for Chrome.

I also don't have that issue in Firefox on Mac (or Safari).

If we can get other people testing, we might be able to find out exactly what's going on.
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

Liquidambar

Thanks for looking into it, eigen.  My Chrome version is 74.0.3729.169 (supposedly the most current version).  Mac OS version is High Sierra 10.13.6.
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently

eigen

Quote from: Liquidambar on June 04, 2019, 10:30:33 AM
Thanks for looking into it, eigen.  My Chrome version is 74.0.3729.169 (supposedly the most current version).  Mac OS version is High Sierra 10.13.6.

Yeah, same for Chrome version. I wonder if it has something to do with Chrome settings/cookies/adblock/something?

Liquidambar

Hmm.  I don't have adblock software, and I don't think my cookie settings are unusual, but who knows.  If anyone else encounters the same problem, I hope they'll chime in with more data.

aside

Quote from: memyself on June 04, 2019, 09:22:54 AM
It does the same thing for me with Firefox on Windows 10.

For me as well.  I don't have to actually log in again, but it shows me as not logged in when I return from another site even though I always select "forever" or whatever whenever I do log in.  This is true both on my PC at home and my Mac at work when using Firefox.  If I click on the log-in button, though, I am instantly logged in without having to enter any information.

eigen

For those of you with display issues: I'm wondering if it might be a browsing cache issue, such that your computer is pulling the "default" version of the page from a stored (cached) version, and not calling the current page immediately. I remember this happened to me when I was first setting the forum up- even when it was running, going to the page from a bookmark/link would show the pre-forum "there's nothing on this server" page until I refreshed, then it would show the forums.

If someone's willing to try clearing their browser cache, that would be great. And specifically, you'd want to clear cache but not cookies, as the stored login is with the cookies- clearing them both would mean you'd need to log in again.

Liquidambar

I clear my cache but not cookies.  It didn't change anything.

eigen

Well, I'm stumped Sorry! If anything occurs to me, I'll try it out- let me know if anything changes on your end.