Hooray For ME! (Announce your victories both large and small here!)

Started by clean, June 02, 2020, 03:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clean

A thread to express your victories!

Thursday the back wheel fell off of my lawnmower after only one pass in the back yard.  I ordered parts on Friday. They arrived today and I replaced the back wheel All By Myself!  In less than an hour!! 

My coworker and another good friend noted that I paid $96 in replacement parts for a nearly 20 year old mower, and that I could have purchased a new mower for 'just a few hundred more'!

But I figure that my nearly 20 year old mower, That I FIXED All By Myself!  is still in great shape and will last for many years to come and the way I figure it, I SAVED a few hundred by fixing it myself!  And i got the satisfaction of doing it myself (and saving some cash)

So what victories, large and small do you want to announce to the fora?
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Wahoo Redux

Wow!  I couldn't fix a lawn mower.  I still remember my dad completely dismantling and ruining our lawnmower when I was a kid.  It was kind of hilarious.  Parts all over the driveway.

I cleaned the back porch windows of deep green smootch without an active spigot.  So much nicer.

And I can play the entire first movement of the great 19th century concerto I've been working on, not entirely well yet, but getting there.

And 3 manuscripts out there door; let's hope the editors are in a good mood.

Cheers!
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

ergative

My electric kettle was rattling, so I unscrewed the base, found a loose screw and a slot where it seemed to fit (there was a partner slot where a similar screw was still in place), and screwed it in. Now the kettle doesn't rattle anymore. I feel like the monarch of handypeople.

Puget

I've been assembling things as well, most recently a cabinet from Home Depot which had lots of parts and instructions even less informative than Ikea if such a thing is possible. There were some moments of despair but it all came together in the end.

I really like concrete hands on projects as a break from academic work. 
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

AJ_Katz

Yay!  I like this thread.

I've lost 28 lbs since January and my partner has lost just over 30 lbs.  We have done it by eating a whole-foods plant based diet and eating only at home (no take-out or restaurants).  My goal is to lose 43 lbs more and, at this pace, should get there in January of next year.  It's been a pretty easy process so far and has not required a regular work-out routine either. 

The bad thing about weight loss is that I will need to buy new clothes and sadly faced with donating clothes that I liked very much and still have some life left.  Many of my clothes are not valuable enough to have tailored, so I'll have to look for new garments.  Despite that, having less fat on my body is helpful in so many ways that it totally offsets the disappointment of losing my clothes.  We went for a bike ride a couple of weeks ago and it was astonishing how much easier it was to ride with 20 lbs less weight being carried around.  Sleep is better and life is generally so much more comfortable... especially as the summer weather heats up.

If anyone is looking for weight loss inspiration along these lines, I recommend the movie "Eating You Alive" (2018) that is available on TubiTV for free to watch here: https://tubitv.com/movies/475193/eating_you_alive?start=true  The book "Eat to Live" by Joel Fuhrman is also a great resource.

lightning

Quote from: AJ_Katz on June 03, 2020, 11:16:30 AM
Yay!  I like this thread.

I've lost 28 lbs since January and my partner has lost just over 30 lbs.  We have done it by eating a whole-foods plant based diet and eating only at home (no take-out or restaurants).  My goal is to lose 43 lbs more and, at this pace, should get there in January of next year.  It's been a pretty easy process so far and has not required a regular work-out routine either. 

The bad thing about weight loss is that I will need to buy new clothes and sadly faced with donating clothes that I liked very much and still have some life left.  Many of my clothes are not valuable enough to have tailored, so I'll have to look for new garments.  Despite that, having less fat on my body is helpful in so many ways that it totally offsets the disappointment of losing my clothes.  We went for a bike ride a couple of weeks ago and it was astonishing how much easier it was to ride with 20 lbs less weight being carried around.  Sleep is better and life is generally so much more comfortable... especially as the summer weather heats up.

If anyone is looking for weight loss inspiration along these lines, I recommend the movie "Eating You Alive" (2018) that is available on TubiTV for free to watch here: https://tubitv.com/movies/475193/eating_you_alive?start=true  The book "Eat to Live" by Joel Fuhrman is also a great resource.

That's awesome. I still keep my old clothes thinking I'll fit into them again.

clean

QuoteYay!  I like this thread.

I've lost 28 lbs since January and my partner has lost just over 30 lbs.

HOORAY!!! That seems like quite a victory!! 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

bacardiandlime

Parasaurolophus

Apparently my students last semester nominated me for a teaching award. I didn't get it, but it's awfully kind of them to have done so.

I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

hmaria1609

Did a touch up paint job on my car--it had some minor scrapping.  Since my car has a unique green color, I bought a paint pen online from a car paint speciality company.

Vkw10

Quote from: bacardiandlime on June 03, 2020, 01:35:17 PM
I painted out my patch of grey hair. It worked!

What did you use? I've been debating adding some temporary color to my hair, but am overwhelmed with hair mascara and hair chalk and hair spray. Too many options!
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

bacardiandlime

I bought professional dye (wella koleston) and developer.
Pro dyes are good because you can adjust the strength yourself.  Also if you only need a small amount (dying a small patch lie this) it works out cheaper as they are in resealable containers and last a while (home box dyes are all single use).

I'm fair haired so I used a blonde dye with a 20vol developer. If there is a Sallys beauty supply near you they carry the major pro lines.  I've used Wella before but they are all similar.

Volhiker78

I unclogged a shower using a small snake that I had never used successfully before.  Was relieved that I didn't have to call a plumber or go to Lowes to buy some nasty chemical to pour down the drain. 

sinenomine

I just submitted my belated departmental annual report and assessment data.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."