Hooray For ME! (Announce your victories both large and small here!)

Started by clean, June 02, 2020, 03:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vkw10

Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

emprof

little bongo

Just received word from our retirement system that I am now vested. And in the summer "engaging students online" course I took, my discussion grade got bumped up from 86 to 100.

Those are victories that might not be picked up by the most powerful microscopes, but yeah, I'm throwing myself a big party in my head.

Or as the immortal Droopy might say, "You know what? I'm happy. Hooray."

clean

QuoteI have now officially started my sabbatical!

Good for you!!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

hmaria1609

Vacuumed my car for the 1st time in a long while! I did it at a local gas station today.

ergative

I entered a speculative fiction limerick contest last month and won $5!

(I also forgot to check back in until just now, and so possibly it's too late to claim my prize--but still! The honor! The glory! BOW BEFORE ME, MORTALS!)

Here is my winning entry:

A lowda who hailed from the Belt
had grown, in low-G, tall and svelte
She did not visit Mars,
preferring the stars,
And Earth's gravity just made her melt.

fleabite

An earthling who hails from New York
and in high G is svelte but short
Greets your galactic creation
with a hearty ovation
and feet firmly planted on the porch.

Tee_Bee

Here's two in one: my doctoral advisor won a major career award and one of my former students (and their co-authors) won a major "best article" award in a top journal in my field. I couldn't be happier for them all. This comes a year after I won a book award, so it's been a good year for my little circle.

Volhiker78

Quote from: Tee_Bee on October 02, 2021, 10:19:35 PM
Here's two in one: my doctoral advisor won a major career award and one of my former students (and their co-authors) won a major "best article" award in a top journal in my field. I couldn't be happier for them all. This comes a year after I won a book award, so it's been a good year for my little circle.

Congratulations to all of you. 

ergative

Several months ago (but (probably) not more than a year) I lost a button from the left cuff of my favorite soft warm flannel shirt. I stuck the button on the bookshelf that is conveniently next to the arm of the couch and serves as a sort of coffee ledge. It has languished there for several months now (but probably not more than a year), until today, when the fates aligned, I pulled out my dusty sewing kit, found the button which had waited faithfully for me all this time, and sewed that sucker back on the cuff.

Liquidambar

Way to go, ergative!

I have a small tin where I throw all buttons, both the extra ones that come with new clothing and the ones that fell off my clothes.  This summer I lost some weight and needed smaller shorts.  I found and sewed on all the missing buttons from the shorts I hadn't been wearing because 1) they were too small and 2) they were missing buttons.  Suddenly I had clothes again!  It was a good feeling.
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently