News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathwen

Good evening!

Genius with two pangrams; not much beyond.  And no LB solutions.  Not a great puzzle day—maybe tomorrow will be better!

I got home today and have spent some of my time hobbling around the condo checking for danger spots and figuring out how to rearrange things, and which straight-backed chair is the least awful.  My husband has been fabulous, but I don't want him to burn out.

Langue_doc, I so enjoyed reading about your birding expedition! 

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Hooray, cathwen! Glad that you are home, and it's smart to do that kind of checking to see what would help in the near term.  I hope you get settled in and as comfortable as possible. 

No LB news to report here, either, though I have a couple contenders that seem as though they could be promising.  Probably barking up the wrong tree.

Langue_doc

cathwen, glad to hear that you are home. How soon will you be able to be out and about without much difficulty?

ab_grp, congrats on the bee. I gave up a long time ago, but got a two-fer and solved tomorrow's easy crossword.

ciao_yall, hope you enjoyed your outing. I recall hiking around Angel's Island many years ago.

Third shot tomorrow!

ab_grp

I hope tomorrow's bee is easier than the last two! I did just get a 2fer, finally, though!

Good luck with your third shot, Langue_doc! Hope it is easy on you.

I just found out that there is a Microsoft Sudoku available in the online store that appears to be free.  Fortunately, I have had a download/install error so haven't been able to spend my entire life playing that yet.  Has anyone played that one? I have tried a couple others but really like the NYT interface and how easy it is to move around and mark squares different ways.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and genius so far.

fondles/scampi--was surprised that the second word which I've considered to be a proper noun, was accepted.

Happy solving, all!

ab_grp, I used to do the Microsoft sudokus and crosswords, but haven't done so for some time now. There were other games as well.

ciao_yall

Morning!

QBWATHICG. I guess Sam is trying to remind us who is boss with a few new words attagirl, griot, otalgia.

LB - fondles-scampi as well. Cleaner than Sam's as he reused the i.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

I think I have 6 more words to QB, still not at Alpha but did get GN4L.   Had to get up early today, so not quite with it just yet.  My final words also included griot, otalgia and needed a lot of help.

I got the schmofficial solution for LB yesterday.  I like the one you got better, Langue_doc and ciao_yall! But I am glad to have found one, in any case.

Langue_doc, there do seem to be a lot of games available! That could be dangerous.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Progress for today...

GwoP, and apparently there are 2 but rather obscure-ish according to the kvetching on Facebook. However, they should bring me at/close to QB.

And a 2fer. So back to the quest for QB. Maybe it will pop out if I stare at it...

ab_grp

Ciao_yall, I think there's only one pangram today.  It came pretty quickly to me, but husband had a little tougher time with it.  Good luck! And congrats on your 2fer!

ciao_yall

Yeah, checked Shunn and one pangram which I found by accident. I didn't remember typing it in, maybe because I was playing around and didn't think it was a word so didn't notice when the thing flashed.

Now at QB - 2. Missing 2 shortish F-words and trying to stay off the 2LL. Maybe they will pop into mind later?

ETA: QB - 1!

ETA^2: QB! Didn't need to hit the 2LL (2 letter list!)

ab_grp

Congrats on your QB, ciao_yall! I have one more word to go now.  I am hoping for QBABM, but we shall see.

cathwen

Good afternoon!

I've been immersed in catch-up grading today so have not spent much time (relatively speaking) on the games. On SB, I'm at Amazing with no pangram yet.  I'm hoping it will pop out at me at some point!

However, I did find a 2fer today!

Congratulations on all the successes yesterday!  Looking at yesterday's SB answers, I notice a few fairly obscure words, plus attagirl, which I remember from a previous puzzle, but which would never have occurred to me this time.

Langue_doc, when I will be able to get around without difficulty should take a few weeks.  I'm using a walker now, but hope to graduate to a cane in a couple of weeks.  Then independent walking.  I see two doctors on Thursday, so I'll know more then.  In the meantime, it is great to be home.

Well, back to grading!  Ugh!  The puzzles are way more fun.

Happy puzzling!

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Last word was foil. I didn't find it until the very end, despite getting airfoil which I entered just in case, fully convinced that it was a proper noun.

Almost 190 points today. Having several similar words in a recent bee was definitely helpful.

brazier/rockfish

Two-fer already!

It's going to be a back-to-bed day. I was warned to expect symptoms similar to those I experienced after the second shot, but this time they came much earlier and with a vengeance. I spent most of the night feeling as though I had been beaten up "black and blue" as the expression goes.

cathwen, it does sound like a long process, but from what you've written, you're making steady progress. Sending you healing thoughts and wishes on a regular basis.

For the booster shot, the locations were much fewer than those for the first two. I decided on this particular location as it was jut one subway ride, but with a long walk to and from the hospital. I was in and out in no time. Incidentally, NYC hospitals get taken over on a regular basis with the attendant name and management change. I recall going to this facility which was under another name and very poorly managed for an abscess several years ago. Despite my giving the doctor my insurance card, I would get bills claiming that I was indigent. Whenever I got a bill, I would call the hospital to inform them that I was not indigent, that I had insurance, and that they should bill me for the co-pay. This went on for more than six months with the amount getting reduced with every bill. I had to go back to get the sutures removed, but that's another story for another day.

There are sections on the route where the subway is above ground. On the return trip, when the train was at a station, I saw a blue jay fly into one of the trees lining the back of the opposite tracks which made my day.

Happy solving, all!