News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

Afternoon!

Got all of yesterday's puzzles successfully completed.

I think I got both pangrams (I usually get to genius before coffee, so sometimes lose track of pangrams) and also at least one word in Merriam Webster but not in the bee and another one that's also in common usage. I'm still protesting the arbitrariness of the word list in the bee, and the lack of information about the dictionaries they are relying on for their word list. Well above genius, and will probably get to above QB as I'm including words accepted by the usual dictionaries. I'm also finding the coyness regarding their list of offensive words as I found "shut your piehole" in yesterday's crossword to be highly offensive. End of vent.

crackpot/trustworthy

Two-fer today.

Still resting--canceled today's outing as well. It was good to catch up on my sleep.

cathwen, glad you got to spend some time with Daughter.

ciao_yall

SB - Achieved Genius, didn't bother with Shunn or Forums.

LB - A few tight 3fers crackpots-showy-yup, crackpot-tushy-yaw. What is a trackway?

Puzzles are laid out. Also have grading to do and other stuff to work on.

Anyway, happy solving!

OneMoreYear

My 2fer from yesterday was tuckshops / strawy. I did not think it would take the 1st one and was not sure about the second (the fora spell check does not think either are words).

Got a more standard 2fer for today. I wonder if there will be multiple solutions again.

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

Got to QBABM, but it took quite a while to figure out what the final word was given how many were not accepted! I figured it had to be a particular type of word, and it was.  I finally remembered one that was accepted previously.  Between that and a long (but not terribly difficult) crossword, I am glad to be done.  Husband still has both to finish, but I have a call with a friend today, so he will have some time! Sam is either very brave or enjoys getting "fan" mail, running this puzzle so soon after the relevant uproar from a few days ago.

I got parkways-shortcut yesterday.  Lots of different solutions! I did have trackway(s) earlier but didn't find a mate for it.  Congrats on today's 2fers, cathwen, Langue_doc, and OneMoreYear!

Happy solving!

Parasaurolophus

Yeah, there's a rejected pangram in there which was commonly used in the last impeachment proceedings.

Still a few points shy of genius, I'm afraid.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and genius. Got to QB yesterday, not because I knew the words but only because I knew to look for the words that had appeared in previous bees. I also gave myself bonus points for dudine (Merriam Webster) and dudette. I think there were a couple more, but I forgot to write them down.

squinches/skort

ETA twofer!

Happy solving, all!

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB - Hit Genius with 1 pangram, then dropped off after that and never went back to Shunn or Forums. Missed inductee.

LB - Just a 2fer b4ss squints-shocker and lots of great 3fers. Yes, I guess skort is a word...

Happy solving!

ETA: Quick genius and 2fer. See y'all tomorrow!

cathwen

Good morning/afternoon!

I got to QB yesterday with 2-letter help from WordPlay.  My last word was, of all things, undid.

Today I am at Beta with the pangram. 

LB:  I had the reverse of the "official" solution—techniques-skort.  I found a 2fer today as well.

Langue_doc, my husband used to call our daughters "the dudettes" from time to time, so I was a little chagrined when SB rejected it.  But the one that really annoyed me—and I think it is the one Parasaurolophus is referring to?—is unindicted.   Come on, Sam!  Get with it! 

Anyway...happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

Got to QBABM today.  Weird puzzle! I don't remember one with this particular feature before.  Yesterday my final word was unneeded, which I finally remembered had been accepted before.  I was getting tired of trying to figure out which un...ed might be accepted, but it seemed as if that pattern would be likely.  So many uns not accepted! And it is strange that they still don't accept dudette.

No luck on LB yesterday, so congrats on your solutions! I did get a 2fer today! Congrats on yours, Langue_doc, ciao_yall, and cathwen! Wonder if we have the same one.

Happy solving!

Parasaurolophus

Just made genius yesterday. To my mind, the rejected pangram was 'unindicted'.

I'm stuck at 'great' for now, but I expect further progress throughout the day.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Genius--I think there were two pangrams today.

There are at least a couple of words that should not have been accepted based on the bee's pearl-clutching when it comes to offensive/should-not-be-used words. It's the inconsistency and the coyness surrounding the rationale behind what's accepted that bugs me as it is reminiscent of autocratic professors who dock points because of their "I say so" policies.

I too was surprised at the rejection of unindicted. According to Merriam Webster
Definition of unindicted coconspirator
: a person who is named in an indictment as one who took part in a conspiracy to commit a crime but who is not charged in the indictment
The most famous, of course, is the Watergate grand jury's naming of President Richard Nixon as an unindicted co-conspirator in a conspiracy to cover up the Watergate burglary.
— James B. Jacobs

Two two-fers, both with repeated letters. julep/shadowy

Happy solving, all!

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB - quick genius yesterday. I'm over going to Shunn/Forums for now.

LB - juleps-shadowy pretty much my first find.

Okay, happy solving!

ETA Genius with 1 pangram and a quick 2fer. No more excuses to procrastinate today!

ab_grp

Good morning!

One more word to go for QB.  Hope I find it! Yesterday was interesting.  But everyone who got to genius got GN4L! I was stymied when I got to genius and then didn't see any 4s at all.  Something different, at least.  I think my last word was gouging.

I also had the schmofficial solution yesterday.  Congrats on your 2fers today!

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good afternoon!

Genius with both pangrams today.  Yesterday I got to QB with first-two-letters help; my last word was nubbin.

LB:  Like everyone else, juleps-shadowy was my answer yesterday.  I have a 2fer today, too.

Happy puzzling!