News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

Okay, hit forum. QB with a few odd words I should have remembered. And got a hint for LB as well. Had one word but didn't see the other.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

Morning!

QB - Thanks to the Forum.

LB - Found expound but needed a Forum hint for argyle-expound and gargoyle-expound.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Two pangrams and genius. It's too much of an effort to keep looking for more words.

When I notified the bee about the missing undaunted, I got a five-paragraph reply which, to paraphrase Shakespeare, was full of words signifying nothing.

Last word yesterday was import.

gargoyle/expound

ab_grp, the inaccurate expiration date is just another example of how disorganized the state administration has become in just a few months. According to my excelsior pass, a state-issued app showing one's vaccine status, the expiration date is in February 2022, a year after my second vaccine. Now, however, there is no evidence that I have received the booster shot, as I discovered when I tried to update my vaccine status on the state website. I'm guessing that the new expiration date would be October 2022 unless the CDC decides otherwise.

Happy solving, all!

ab_grp

Good morning!

I got to QBABM! I was surprised because it's such a long puzzle.  Yay! There are a bunch of words that should have been accepted, in my opinion.  Our final words were nonprint, pinpoint yesterday.

No luck on LB yesterday, so congrats!

Langue_doc, it is disheartening to hear that their records-keeping is so poor.  Seems kind of important.  Hopefully they will straighten that out.

Having had too many crashes of my desktop, I figured out how to get my laptop hooked up to the same monitor, but now it looks like a computer store threw up on my desk.  Got to figure something out with all these cords. 

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

Amazing with one pangram so far.  Yesterday I was at QB-2, missing pinpoint and nonprint.  I don't know how much energy I have to slog through today's SB, but I'll keep working on it little by little.  I would like at least to get to genius.

Congratulations on QBABY, ab_grp!  I am in awe.

Yesterday's LB:  undraped-doxology. 

Happy puzzling!

Langue_doc

ab_grp, I'm in awe! Hope you get your desk and your computers in working order soon.

cathwen, you'll get there. The 51 words I found are all familiar ones. Incidentally, your doxology reminded me that the bee refused to accept introit in a recent puzzle.

cathwen

Thanks, Langue_doc!  The refusal to accept introit and intinct/intinction does rankle. 

ab_grp

Thank you both! I also managed to get the sudokus each done in record time (for me).  But no luck on LB yet! One dire consequence of my current computer situation is that I don't have room for my LB notepad, so I will have to do some rearranging.  Can't access my coffee cup warmer, either, and it is freeeeezing.  But we're in that weird space of maybe having to put the heat on during the day and cooling it down and night.  Trying to avoid putting the heat on for now.

Cathwen, good luck! I don't think there were any very difficult words.  Just a lot of trying everything possible, because as usual there is a lot of inconsistency in which combos of prefixes and suffixes they accept.  And congrats on a different LB solution!

Parasaurolophus

Got to genius, now for the rest.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

I'm not the only person who was surprised at the rejection of undaunted as a perfectly acceptable word.

According to the Post,
on Thursday the most shocking fracture yet emerged — when the paper's official word-puzzles Twitter account broke ranks with the editor of the popular Spelling Bee game, Sam Ezersky, and publicly came out against him.

The stunning schism began when actress J. Smith-Cameron, who plays hard-nosed executive Gerri on HBO's "Succession" tweeted at Ezersky — who had, in a staggering failure of either judgement, competence or moral rigor, neglected to include the word "undaunted" as one of the acceptable answers in Thursday's puzzle — saying, "Hey @thegridkid, there's an absolutely valid word the Bee won't accept and I'm annoyed. But UNDAUNTED."

https://nypost.com/2021/10/14/nyt-newsroom-rocked-by-a-new-public-rift-over-spelling-bee-game/

cathwen

Good morning!

Genius with pangram so far, and a 2fer.

I had to pick my jaw off the floor (with my grabber stick) when undaunted was rejected yesterday—thanks for the link, Langue_doc!  Then I saw a Twitter posting about it, so Sam seems to have been appropriately chastened. 

Yesterday's SB was hardly glorious for me—and when I see the words I missed, I just shake my head.  I was a long way from QB, but at least I got to genius.

My LB answer yesterday was outsweated-dimple.  I was a little surprised that outsweated was accepted!

Happy puzzling, everyone!

ciao_yall

Morning!

Spending a lot of time on the Forum hints. Plenty of 3fers yesterday but no 2fer. We'll see how today goes.

Getting ready for a Zoom call that, at best, could be an email.

ETA: A couple of good contenders and a 2fer b4ss.

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

Just checking in quickly for now but will update more after a couple meetings.  I am struggling with the bee today! But did get the crossword done.  I'm also on my laptop now and need to increase the font so I can see what I'm typing!

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Okay! So we struggled to impure QBs with help from Shunn.  Both were missing the same final word, which is one I hadn't heard in a while but was finally able to guess from Shunn info.  I can't remember my final words yesterday... maybe taxa, unattended? I was happy to recall antedate(d).  Definitely crazy that undaunted wasn't in there.  Thanks for the link, Langue_doc! I also saw that hooha on Twitter about it.  Someone pointed out somewhere that there would have been 211 possible words or so had he not curated the list, so I guess missing an accepted word in light of that is not too bad.  I can't imagine a 211-word bee!

Congrats on your 2fer yesterday, cathwen! I couldn't get there.  I did have sampled from the schmofficial solution and kept trying out-.  Oh well.  I worked on it a bit today in meetings but don't have anything great yet.  Congrats on getting another one today!

At least the conference is over, computer memory has been rejiggered and is running a long test, but I still have sudokus to do.