Started by Cheerful, September 09, 2020, 02:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aster

cascade

Hibush

Quote from: cascade on October 12, 2021, 04:57:18 AM
Quote from: Aster on October 11, 2021, 05:20:06 PM
TikTok.

This reminds me that I am still not a fan of tweet.

How about tweeps? A portmanteau of twitter and peeps (aka people).

mamselle

You mean those little marshmallow chickies, but colored blue?

https://www.latimes.com/food/dailydish/la-dd-new-blue-peeps-easter-walmart-20140416-story.html

They've been around for a little while, now...

;--}

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

little bongo

My wife has very strong opinions regarding Peeps (that is, the marshmallow chicks):

1) They must be chicks--other animals and shapes do not count.
2) They must be the kind you get at Easter--Halloween and Christmas Peeps do not count.
3) They must be yellow--other colors won't fly.

apl68

Peeps!  Multicolored Styrofoam with sugar added!
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mamselle

Ah, time to post the annual Peeps lab page...a.k.a. "How to torture a Peep and set off your smoke detector in one easy try..."

http://www.peepresearch.org/

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Hibush

Yikes!

My dear peeps: Peeps are Easter candy, not Halloween candy. You are crazy yearning for them now.

mamselle

Oh, but the Peeps marketing people want you to believe they're a year-round delight, now all those different animals and colors and dioramas exist...

M.

jimbogumbo

Gaslighting. Great origin story, meaning should be understood. Now thrown out there almost every time there is a difference of opinion.

smallcleanrat

Brainwashed.

Not sure if it qualifies as trending, but I hear it a lot when used to describe people with opinions different from the speaker (especially political or religious).

It's annoying in that it implies an utter lack of agency on the part of the people with the differing view. If you think someone is wrong, you might say they are misinformed or misguided or are using flawed reasoning or any number of things, but a lot of people go for "brainwashing" (or "indoctrinated" - another overused word).

It's a companion sentiment to "Nobody who's given the matter any thought would believe that." or "Anyone with half a brain knows..." or similar. It's a refusal to acknowledge even the possibility that an intelligent person has given the matter some thought and still come to a different conclusion than you.

marshwiggle

Quote from: smallcleanrat on October 23, 2021, 01:24:34 PM
Brainwashed.

Not sure if it qualifies as trending, but I hear it a lot when used to describe people with opinions different from the speaker (especially political or religious).

It's annoying in that it implies an utter lack of agency on the part of the people with the differing view. If you think someone is wrong, you might say they are misinformed or misguided or are using flawed reasoning or any number of things, but a lot of people go for "brainwashing" (or "indoctrinated" - another overused word).

It's a companion sentiment to "Nobody who's given the matter any thought would believe that." or "Anyone with half a brain knows..." or similar. It's a refusal to acknowledge even the possibility that an intelligent person has given the matter some thought and still come to a different conclusion than you.

Similarly "internalized", as in "internalized misogyny" or "internalized racism", as though any members of any identity group must all have the same opinions unless they have been manipulated into thinking otherwise. (Which of course implies that the manipulators are therefore obviously more powerful for being able to do so.)
It takes so little to be above average.

mahagonny

Quote from: marshwiggle on October 24, 2021, 06:06:25 AM
Brainwashed.

Similarly "internalized", as in "internalized misogyny" or "internalized racism", as though any members of any identity group must all have the same opinions unless they have been manipulated into thinking otherwise. (Which of course implies that the manipulators are therefore obviously more powerful for being able to do so.)

Agree with you both somewhat, but will nitpick a little. Indoctrination is clearly on the upswing, for example, to employees of CVS, whose CEO who makes a gazillion per year in salary recently hired ibrahim Kendi to speak to their $30,000/year salaried employees (for a modest fee of something like $20K/hour).
the sermon starts out with the assertion 'there is anti-black racism and white supremacy everywhere,  suppressing people of color and preventing them form having productive fulfilling lives.' The sermon skips over the normal thought process prompted by the claim, namely, what is the evidence? And goes straight to 'what are we going to do about this?' And what they are going to do is change how you think and feel. And you are required to acknowledge, with words and presence, and probably even changes in workplace habits of interaction, your submission to this process.
So the speaker is proceeding as though you have chosen him and his wisdom for your last-word-on-everything moral authority. And by doing so you earn your place in the new ultra-enlightened community, i.e. 'anti-racism living' or 'allyship.' This explains why no evidence was given and none was even asked for, the pressures, the in-group acceptance, the 'othering' of people with views that differ. That's indoctrination by any definition.

marshwiggle

Quote from: mahagonny on October 24, 2021, 06:21:20 AM
Quote from: marshwiggle on October 24, 2021, 06:06:25 AM
Brainwashed.

Agree with you both somewhat, but will nitpick a little. Indoctrination is clearly on the upswing, for example, to employees of CVS, whose CEO who makes a gazillion per year in salary recently hired ibrahim Kendi to speak to their $30,000/year salaried employees (for a modest fee of something like $20K/hour).
the sermon starts out with the assertion 'there is anti-black racism and white supremacy everywhere,  suppressing people of color and preventing them form having productive fulfilling lives.' The sermon skips over the normal thought process prompted by the claim, namely, what is the evidence? And goes straight to 'what are we going to do about this?' And what they are going to do is change how you think and feel. And you are required to acknowledge, with words and presence, and probably even changes in workplace habits of interaction, your submission to this process.
So the speaker is proceeding as though you have chosen him and his wisdom for your last-word-on-everything moral authority. And by doing so you earn your place in the new ultra-enlightened community, i.e. 'anti-racism living' or 'allyship.' This explains why no evidence was given and none was even asked for, the pressures, the in-group acceptance, the 'othering' of people with views that differ. That's indoctrination by any definition.

Interesting point.

So here's a question I'd be curious to hear people weigh in on.
Whatever side of the vaccine debate you're on, "pro-" or "anti-", do you view the people on the other side as having been "brainwashed", or do you view them as having made independent (even if possibly misguided or ill-informed) decisions?

It takes so little to be above average.

mahagonny

I'm not really on a side, so much, but I'll take a stab at the question.
If we substitute the term 'coercion' for 'brainwashing/indoctrination' I guess I was coerced to get the vaccination, by my employer. True, I could quit and look for another job, but that would be a lot of trouble. So I guess it has been a bait-and-switch situation. However I would probably have gotten the vaccination anyway. If someone felt very uncomfortable about the requirement and had to quit as a result, I would feel a lot of sympathy (though I probably wouldn't march in protest.)
What we were not required to do, however, was express a belief that getting double-vaccinated is the only moral choice, and only a person who was bad, morally, would refuse to. So I answer no, that wasn't brainwashing or indoctrination. It did not require us to identify ourselves with a moral belief. However, if our diversity staff get their way, their seminars will be required of all faculty and will do exactly that. Which would hurt me much more than getting a shot in my arm that I think represents a minor health risk or a waste of time.
I have been told that giving lip service to a policy you abhor is no big deal. I disagree in the case of the 'anti-racism' brigade. You don't lip service to things as serious as these. You either agree or say you don't. Doing anything other than that is bad for the spirit.
If I ran a business (or a college) and hired employees I would prefer not to require vaccinations. I would prefer to respect their choices. But if meant the end of the business otherwise, I'd probably fall in line.