News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Inhale Thread !

Started by mamselle, June 14, 2019, 06:11:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ergative

Update: The art department that provided the quills does not actually know how to cut them. The ones they provided were unusable. It is extremely lucky that I came prepared with my own quills (just seagull feathers picked up on a beach--they work surprisingly well!) and an exacto knife.

AmLitHist

"Superstar" dean's secretary is moving to another campus to be the president's secretary there. Good for her (and even much better for us--one less gossipy s&% disturber to deal with).  Win-win.

mamselle

Quote from: ergative on May 11, 2022, 11:42:25 PM
Update: The art department that provided the quills does not actually know how to cut them. The ones they provided were unusable. It is extremely lucky that I came prepared with my own quills (just seagull feathers picked up on a beach--they work surprisingly well!) and an exacto knife.

Oh, I have a bunch which have been a bit used as kids pressed too hard or splattered themselves and me in working out how to write their names and other texts in 18th c. school-forms!

Too bad I can't just hand them through the screen to you... (wonder if the DM function allows for that...???)

;--}

My inhale: Just got to spend 2 hours seeing and hearing about Byzantine seals and coins--so illuminating, interesting, and enjoyable!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

Quote from: ergative on May 11, 2022, 11:42:25 PM

I remember reading a book on pen and ink art where the author experimented with various pens, including quill pens he'd picked up for himself, and bamboo pens that he cut on a vacation abroad.  He also got curious to see what it would be like to work with a genuine crow quill pen.  He found what he needed from an unfortunate bird that he ran across (so to speak) lying beside the road.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

ergative

Update 2: They art department provided some very nice, seasoned, uncut quills, so I was able to cut more myself. They're much better than seagull quills (seasoning will do that!), and I'm very happy with the results.

But perhaps this should go in the vinhale thread, because I've been called to the studio for two days now, and they still haven't managed to film any actual calligraphy! Occasionally we get as far as being called to the set to set up lighting, but then they need the camera somewhere else, or the director has second thoughts, and nothing happens. they'll be in touch when they've rescheduled the shoot later, but I'm wondering whether it's actually going to happen.

At least I still got paid for the two days.

Puget

Two papers accepted in two days, including this afternoon Big Collaborative Paper that I'm first author on and was a real beast, at a very good journal. Nice way to end the week!
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

apl68

Quote from: Puget on May 13, 2022, 02:04:18 PM
Two papers accepted in two days, including this afternoon Big Collaborative Paper that I'm first author on and was a real beast, at a very good journal. Nice way to end the week!

Yes it is!  Congratulations!

mamselle

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Harlow2

Puget

Thanks all!

Quote from: Harlow2 on May 14, 2022, 08:06:36 AM
Impressive speed!

Haha, I can see how you may have read that as them being accepted after 2 days of under review-- that would be suspicious rather than impressive if so! I meant we received two acceptances in two days-- the papers had been under review for about 2 months each, and both had been R&Red before that (and one had first been rejected from another journal). So not at all speedy, but nice when good news finally comes.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."

AmLitHist

I got some really good strawberries and tomatoes yesterday at the store--always an iffy proposition this time of year.  It should be time for local berries soon, but I haven't heard what the crop will be like, after a chilly and wet spring.

mamselle

Now, those really should be able to be passed through the screen...

Yum, yum!

M.

paultuttle

For tomorrow's primary, voting starts at 6:30 a.m. My voting location is 2 and 2/3 blocks away, in the church for which my grandfather contributed a significant portion of the construction fund.

Basically, I'm going to wake up, throw on some clothes, walk maybe a third of a mile to the church, and vote. The only way it could be easier is if I could do it online.

(Yes, I know I'm spoiled. Why do you ask?)

apl68

I can't say that any member of my family has ever contributed a substantial portion to any church house's construction fund.  There are a number of church buildings that members of my family have built in the sense of actually constructing, however.  Sometimes as hired jobs, sometimes as volunteers.  A couple of churches that we attended when I was growing up had been largely built by members of our family working as volunteers.  They laid the masonry on the biggest church in our home town (not a huge building) when it was built in the 1950s. 

I learned only a couple of years ago that one of Dad's uncles was responsible for the distinctive-looking fluted pilasters in the sanctuary of that church, which kind of fascinated me growing up.  The pilasters are actually painted concrete, which he molded using a frame he built himself.  He was probably copying a pattern of stonework that he saw somewhere.  He decided on a pattern he wanted, got it okayed (presumably) by the congregation he was helping out, and built what he needed to make it.  I never knew that those pilasters were a homemade job.

Puget

I have survived commencement at 97 degrees with high humidity in a black doctoral robe (unzipped part of the time), and walking to and from campus for it, and am now parked in front of the AC with a cold beverage. I had 2 MAs and 2 BAs (both with highest honors, one the winner of our departmental award) from my lab graduating, so it was worth it, especially getting to meet two of their families and embarrass/delight the students by bragging about them to their parents.