News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

minding the cold

Started by kaysixteen, October 12, 2020, 06:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaysixteen

Now I realize that one generally is supposed to like it warmer as one ages, but I, only 52, mind the cold very much more than I did say 20 years ago.   I do not have an a/c, and in this climate would almost never use it if I had it.   I regularly like it very warm in the house, crank up the heat, etc., and this has been the case for several years now, all the more so after the bout of cellulitis I had in 2018.   I mentioned this to my PCP in August, but to say he seemed unconcerned would be an understatement.   Anyone have any thoughts?

Parasaurolophus

How's your circulation? Do you have diabetes?
I know it's a genus.

kaysixteen

I have had no circ problems but am a type ii diabetic, yes.

Langue_doc

How about another PCP? This one seems to be dismissive of your concerns.

ab_grp

Is it possibly (at least partially) a side effect from medications you're taking? Even if the doctor is not concerned, he should be able to provide information and not just brush it off.  As you mentioned, though, it is normal to some extent from what I've read.  I also notice my "temperate zone" narrowing and changing as the years move steadily on.

secundem_artem

An underactive thyroid may also present itself as cold intolerance.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: kaysixteen on October 13, 2020, 12:16:06 AM
I have had no circ problems but am a type ii diabetic, yes.

T2 diabetes can cause circulation issues that make people feel cold. IIRC some of the kidney issues associated with it can do the same. If it's caused any nerve damage, that could also do the same.

But as long as it's under control, it's probably not anything to worry about, since it's a common side effect/symptom. So if it's under control and your physician isn't worried about it, it's probably fine.
I know it's a genus.

Bonnie

Quote from: secundem_artem on October 13, 2020, 08:58:56 AM
An underactive thyroid may also present itself as cold intolerance.

Yes, I was also thinking of this, as well as some pituitary gland tumors (non-cancerous).