Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Mr and Mrs Trump rest positive for Covid-19

Started by engineer_adrift, October 01, 2020, 10:41:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheerful

Quote from: spork on October 02, 2020, 02:37:34 PM
Quote from: Cheerful on October 02, 2020, 02:19:53 PM
President Trump going to Walter Reed Medical Center.

An abundance of caution, folks! Nothing to see here! Keep moving along!

Not funny.  This is the President of the United States.  Everyone knows this is very serious.  Sounds like he's getting very sick very quickly.  He has fever, etc.  Has already had experimental treatment.

mamselle

No, that's a line in an article about the hospitalization.

I had a similar reaction: it seriously understated the issues, and made it sound as if it was no big deal.

I didn't think Spork was saying it as his own viewpoint, but pointing it out.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Cheerful

Quote from: mamselle on October 02, 2020, 02:43:14 PM
No, that's a line in an article about the hospitalization.

I had a similar reaction: it seriously understated the issues, and made it sound as if it was no big deal.

I didn't think Spork was saying it as his own viewpoint, but pointing it out.

M.

OK, sorry.  I'm upset.  Whether I like the man personally or not, he is the President of my country and this is very troubling. I have loved ones his age with high-risk conditions.

There are national security issues as well in terms of what they officially say.

writingprof

Hegemony

I am thinking of that pastor in Texas, Robert Henderson, who took credit for Ruth Bader Ginsburg's death because he had prayed the right kind of prayer:

...he led other pastors to pray for God to "shut the mouth of the lion" defending current abortion laws on the Supreme Court. "Well, guess what?" he said last Sunday. "Ruth Bader Ginsburg has passed away. .... That's no accident."

(https://www.star-telegram.com/news/politics-government/article246002880.html#storylink=cpy)

Apparently he later retracted this, but the idea lives on that prominent figures become ill and/or die because right-wing clergy are praying for it. (I say right-wing because I don't see left-wing clergy making this claim).

I'm wondering, then, who prayed for Trump to become ill. Will the responsible party come on down?

ciao_yall

Quote from: ciao_yall on October 02, 2020, 01:18:00 PM
Quote from: Ruralguy on October 02, 2020, 11:55:12 AM
Quorum isn't an issue, but if Republicans have too few to constitute a majority because of COVID, they'll, at least for now, delay the vote. They'll still want a vote after the election, which could get tricky.

(Too lazy to Google) can the quarantined Senators vote by distance or do they have to be on the floor?

I took a nap and checked. For now, yes, they have to be on the floor.

So this could get interesting...

onthefringe

Quote from: ciao_yall on October 02, 2020, 07:03:26 PM
Quote from: ciao_yall on October 02, 2020, 01:18:00 PM
Quote from: Ruralguy on October 02, 2020, 11:55:12 AM
Quorum isn't an issue, but if Republicans have too few to constitute a majority because of COVID, they'll, at least for now, delay the vote. They'll still want a vote after the election, which could get tricky.

(Too lazy to Google) can the quarantined Senators vote by distance or do they have to be on the floor?

I took a nap and checked. For now, yes, they have to be on the floor.

So this could get interesting...

McConnell has rejected remote voting, but we all know he will reverse on a dime if that's what is needed to get the nomination through.

mamselle

It just struck me...I wonder if he were sick before the debates, maybe even knew or suspected it.

That might explain the even-more-than-usual level of confusion and anger...either onset of feverish confusion (afebrile disease/dementia is common at his age) or just fury at being mortal, and infected...or some of both.

I also realized that my hope is he will come out of it redeemed and with at least something like a transformed sense of life, empathy and generosity of spirit.

I'd hoped something similar for Boris Johnson, but it doesn't seem to have happened, so I am looking at the likelihood of metanoia as uncertain, of course.

But it's at least a possibility worth hoping for.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: mamselle on October 02, 2020, 08:27:53 PM
It just struck me...I wonder if he were sick before the debates, maybe even knew or suspected it.

That might explain the even-more-than-usual level of confusion and anger...either onset of feverish confusion (afebrile disease/dementia is common at his age) or just fury at being mortal, and infected...or some of both.

I also realized that my hope is he will come out of it redeemed and with at least something like a transformed sense of life, empathy and generosity of spirit.

I'd hoped something similar for Boris Johnson, but it doesn't seem to have happened, so I am looking at the likelihood of metanoia as uncertain, of course.

M.

I think it's highly unlikely.

ergative

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on October 02, 2020, 09:05:59 PM

M.

My house just had the identical conversation. Absolutive took Mamselle's view. I followed evil_physics_witchcraft.

spork

Quote from: Cheerful on October 02, 2020, 02:39:27 PM
Quote from: spork on October 02, 2020, 02:37:34 PM
Quote from: Cheerful on October 02, 2020, 02:19:53 PM
President Trump going to Walter Reed Medical Center.

An abundance of caution, folks! Nothing to see here! Keep moving along!

Not funny.  This is the President of the United States.  Everyone knows this is very serious.  Sounds like he's getting very sick very quickly.  He has fever, etc.  Has already had experimental treatment.

He's gotten a dose of antibodies as a precautionary measure. A treatment not available to the public.

I'd have less schadenfreude about him being infected if he and his minions had not tried to kick people like my wife out of the country for the last several years. I also hope he doesn't die while president because his white evangelical supporters would then elevate him to the status of a crucified messiah.

As for:

Quote from: ergative on October 03, 2020, 01:31:30 AM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on October 02, 2020, 09:05:59 PM

M.

My house just had the identical conversation. Absolutive took Mamselle's view. I followed evil_physics_witchcraft.

I also find it highly improbable that an elderly sociopath will suddenly develop empathy and compassion for others.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

writingprof

Quote from: spork on October 03, 2020, 03:49:45 AM

I also find it highly improbable that an elderly sociopath will suddenly develop empathy and compassion for others.

The man is seventy-four.  He's had a cold before, perhaps even a bad cold, which is what this is. 

Ruralguy

In all probability, he may not feel it as much worse than the worst cold he's ever had, but it could be worse than that.
Probably best to just wait and see. I hope he gets beat in a month, but fair and square and without anyone being seriously ill.

As for transformations of character? I don't think so. White House protocols are likely the only thing to change.

onthefringe

Quote from: writingprof on October 03, 2020, 05:58:07 AM
Quote from: spork on October 03, 2020, 03:49:45 AM

The man is seventy-four.  He's had a cold before, perhaps even a bad cold, which is what this is.

Ah yes, the common cold with its notoriously under appreciated death rate of about 1% (total)  or 5% (age adjusted). (/sarcasm).

While it's quite likely that Trump (especially given his access to outstanding medical care) may experience this as a severe cold and be perfectly fine, it is highly irresponsible to compare COVID19 to the common cold, especially for an obese, 74 year old male, who has at least those three characteristics associated with worse outcomes.

secundem_artem

M.

My experience working in health care has been that if a genuine a**hole gets cancer and recovers, what emerges is still a genuine a**hole.  Saint Paul on the road to Damascus changes are pretty much unheard of.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances