News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Mr and Mrs Trump rest positive for Covid-19

Started by engineer_adrift, October 01, 2020, 10:41:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onthefringe

Well, the White House appears to be a COVID hotspot — perhaps he feels safer somewhere else.

spork

Quote from: jimbogumbo on October 04, 2020, 08:00:21 AM
Why is Vice President Pence not in DC? In my opinion, given the circumstances, he is in too important a position to be traveling at this time.

Campaigning is more important than governing. And he doesn't need to be in DC to assume the presidency (or the powers thereof) because of the 25th Amendment.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

mamselle

Maybe he doesn't need to be in WDC, per se, but travel is risky at the best of times; it might be wise to mitigate that risk atop all the others.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

nebo113

Pence is campaigning because he's been ordered to do so by his cult leader....

apl68

Quote from: secundem_artem on October 03, 2020, 08:31:49 AM
Quote from: mamselle on October 02, 2020, 08:27:53 PM
It just struck me...I wonder if he were sick before the debates, maybe even knew or suspected it.

That might explain the even-more-than-usual level of confusion and anger...either onset of feverish confusion (afebrile disease/dementia is common at his age) or just fury at being mortal, and infected...or some of both.

I also realized that my hope is he will come out of it redeemed and with at least something like a transformed sense of life, empathy and generosity of spirit.

I'd hoped something similar for Boris Johnson, but it doesn't seem to have happened, so I am looking at the likelihood of metanoia as uncertain, of course.

But it's at least a possibility worth hoping for.

M.
Saint Paul on the road to Damascus changes are pretty much unheard of.

I've seen changes on that scale in people that I know.  It can happen. 

But yes, it's exceedingly rare to see it in anybody who is influential and in the public eye.  They've already got it made in this world, so what do they need God for?  And sadly the President, whatever the hopes of some of his supporters and more generous-minded detractors, has shown overwhelming evidence of having this kind of attitude.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mamselle

Yes, if they don't see a reason to change, metanoia is less likely, I agree.

But if I'm going to put my prayers in any direction, that seems like the wisest and best thing to pray for.

In re: the discussion on Pence, this showed up in my newsfeed this AM:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/04/president-pelosi-pence-shrugs-off-covid-risk-426219

And then I saw this:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/05/politics/trump-secret-service-trip/index.html

Reading the statement at the end,

"I'd have called security and asked for a psych eval to determine their mental health status and decision-making capacity,"

I thought "....would that someone had done that in 2016...."

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

jimbogumbo

The President says he's checking out at 6:30. In my opinion this is a seriously bad idea. He talked about how much energy he has, but that pretty much ALWAYS happens when you have a hefty dose of steroids.

Treehugger

Quote from: jimbogumbo on October 05, 2020, 12:13:19 PM
The President says he's checking out at 6:30. In my opinion this is a seriously bad idea. He talked about how much energy he has, but that pretty much ALWAYS happens when you have a hefty dose of steroids.

Yes, and now he is telling everyone that it's "no big deal" and that you shouldn't let Covid dominate your life. Great ....

Also, he is saying that he was brave to get Covid (you know instead of "cowering in his basement" like Biden). He is shameless. Also, clearly has a personality disorder. Plain as day.

Parasaurolophus

We'll see if he's readmitted in a few days/a week. The roller-coaster pattern seems to be pretty common. If he needs to be readmitted, he's probably in real trouble.
I know it's a genus.

Treehugger

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on October 05, 2020, 02:03:46 PM
We'll see if he's readmitted in a few days/a week. The roller-coaster pattern seems to be pretty common. If he needs to be readmitted, he's probably in real trouble.

Thoughts and prayers ....

In case anyone is curious, here is Boris Johnson's CV timeline. His downturn came on the 11th day after diagnosis. Of course, treatments have improved since then and Trump got all of them, so ...

Parasaurolophus

Also worth remembering that he's not really being "discharged", since they're installing all that medical equipment in the WH.

As for thoughts and prayers, I have nothing kind to say, so I'll stay mum.
I know it's a genus.

Treehugger

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on October 05, 2020, 02:56:02 PM
Also worth remembering that he's not really being "discharged", since they're installing all that medical equipment in the WH.

Notice, I didn't say what the thoughts and prayers were for ...

mahagonny

Quote from: Treehugger on October 05, 2020, 04:49:39 PM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on October 05, 2020, 02:56:02 PM

Notice, I didn't say what the thoughts and prayers were for ...

I recall years ago under GWBush it was reported that an ISIS terrosist had been killed in a shootout by USA gov't agents. They were 90% sure it was the man they thought it was. They didn't say 'Joy, he's dead.' They said 'if it's him obviously it would be a very good thing if he were out of business.'
I suppose if you prayed for the demise of a toxic leader, it means you consider us at war in some sense.
My problem with hating Trump is while he can be combative, rude and obnoxious he is more on the right side of some our current controversies than may others who should know better. Perhaps he was alway to arrogant to be taken in by the left's fixations.

Ruralguy

I wouldnt want the country to deal with a fallen leader right now.

Better for the man to lose the election, fade to obscurity and then oblivion.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: Ruralguy on October 05, 2020, 08:36:12 PM
I wouldnt want the country to deal with a fallen leader right now.

Better for the man to lose the election, fade to obscurity and then oblivion.

Couldn't agree more