News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Halloween Plans?

Started by clean, October 26, 2020, 03:52:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_geneticist

We don't have sidewalks in our neighborhood so we typically don't get any trick-or-treaters.  We're not planning to buy any candy since we're not going to hand any out and I don't have a lab full of students to give the leftovers to. 
Folks around here are really going all out of decorating their yards this year.  Lots of giant inflatable critters, cobwebs, fake tombstones, holiday lights, etc.  I fear the neighbors are going to have another big, noisy party (not allowed, but who's going to check?).

sprout

No idea if anyone in our area will be trick-or-treating or not.  But we did get some candy just in case.  Plan is to bag it up (1 or 2 bars/bag) and set it out on a card table with a sign. No-contact trick-or-treating.

apl68

We're getting the candy for our Halloween go-bags at the library today. 
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Harlow2

Our walking group will do a few miles of decoration gazing.  Sometimes we are mistaken for trick-or-treaters and return with loot. 

onehappyunicorn

Since this was for a school event I got to carve some pumpkins today.
https://imgur.com/gallery/JYU86ME
Best I can say is that they aren't terrible for someone who is most assuredly not a 3D artist.

FishProf

A local church had a drive-thru Trunk Or Treat last Saturday.  Lots of cars and costumes.  It was a good show for a modest donation.  Some of them were really great setups. 

And then there was that one couple who did a Christmas tree trunk and wore ugly sweaters.  Creepy.

Smolt had a good time.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

mamselle

Quote from: onehappyunicorn on October 28, 2020, 12:15:27 PM
Since this was for a school event I got to carve some pumpkins today.
https://imgur.com/gallery/JYU86ME
Best I can say is that they aren't terrible for someone who is most assuredly not a 3D artist.

Those are really good!

I like the one-eyed monster and the pumpkin-eating-pumpkin....

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

hmaria1609

Picked up another bag of M&M's Ghoul Mix at Wal-Mart last night. Still plenty of Halloween candy in stock!

mamselle

The levels of snow, slush, and cold may help curtail things here quite a bit, I suspect...

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Langue_doc

It's a sad and depressing Halloween this year. Only one of the houses on my street has any decorations and a halfhearted one at that. The neighbor's kids are on their upstairs deck, calling out "Happy Halloween" to the very few passersby, but not trick-or-treating or sitting in the front yard with candy, as they usually do. People are being careful, now that the numbers have been going up.

mamselle

My across-the-street neighbors have a light-tripped "Bwa-ha-ha-ha!" laugh track set up.

It's getting triggered pretty often, so some folks are out.

M.

evil_physics_witchcraft

I swear, we're going to turn into the stereotypical 'old' people who yell, 'Get off my lawn!'

SO put a box of candy at the bottom of the driveway and was happy to see two little kids get some candy. Apparently, the third person to visit it was an adult/teen who grabbed the box and dumped it in a bag before the next group of kids could get it.

I was taking a nap, so I missed this excitement. If I were awake, I would have yelled something from the front porch. SO isn't as confrontational and is just ticked off about the little kids who missed out.

Edit: We didn't put all of the candy out, but at this point we're just saying 'Eh.' It's getting late and we don't have a lot of kids in the neighborhood.

dismalist

QuoteI swear, we're going to turn into the stereotypical 'old' people who yell, 'Get off my lawn!'

SO put a box of candy at the bottom of the driveway and was happy to see two little kids get some candy.

We already are the old grumps: Turned off the lights so the little devils wouldn't be tempted to knock on the door or ring the bell!

Don't think anyone came by though -- everybody's afraid.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

mahagonny

Business is tapering off. I gave away most of the Reese's butter cups.

OneMoreYear

We kept out lights off, but we are on a a dead-end street, so we weren't expecting anyone really. 
Also, Ricochet, my confused-about-everything cat, has a panic attack when the doorbell rings, so we though that we'd avoid having to go to the emergency vet because we gave the cat a heart attack.