Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Biden Administration

Started by mythbuster, November 12, 2020, 12:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbogumbo

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on December 09, 2020, 03:44:48 PM
Quote from: writingprof on December 09, 2020, 03:43:02 PM
I know that Biden has to give Buttigieg something.  The guy did drop out and endorse him, and he certainly won't be winning statewide office in Indiana.  It's either a place in the Biden administration or back to the salt mines at McKinsey.  It would be foolish to end the political career of a potential star.  Et cetera. 

Nevertheless, I kind of hope Biden screws him.  Credential Man may not be the worst Democrat, but he's among the most annoying.

Every once in a while, I find we're in agreement. It's disconcerting! :)

As I live in the state that has given us Dan Quayle and Mike Pence I was hoping we could at least cleanse the national palate with some Mayor Pete, but nooo, you haters have to spoil it.

Cheerful

Prospective head of Dept. of Veterans Affairs, Denis McDonough, is not a veteran.

writingprof

Quote from: Cheerful on December 10, 2020, 10:31:52 AM
Prospective head of Dept. of Veterans Affairs, Denis McDonough, is not a veteran.

Breaking news:

Agriculture secretary Tom Vilsack is not a farmer.

Likely Energy secretary Ernest J. Moniz is not an atom or a lump of coal.

Please stop making me defend these idiots.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: writingprof on December 10, 2020, 02:05:03 PM

He might be a phial of fracking juice, however.
I know it's a genus.

writingprof

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on December 10, 2020, 04:35:26 PM
Quote from: writingprof on December 10, 2020, 02:05:03 PM

He might be a phial of fracking juice, however.

I've always assumed that fraternities at land-grant universities use fracking juice in their hazing rituals.  "Drink it, b---h!"

kaysixteen

Would you support an attempt to make someone who is not a lawyer into attorney general?  IOW, which senior jobs, cabinet-level or otherwise, do indeed require specific education or experience, in order to hold them, and why?

writingprof

I read somewhere that the Speaker of the House does not have to be an elected congressman and can, in fact, be any American.  It's also the case that Supreme Court justices do not have to be lawyers.  I think it's probably best if the attorney general is an attorney.  I suppose you could make the case that the surgeon general should be a doctor.  Otherwise, it doesn't matter to me.  Then again, I'm in the make-government-incompetent-so-voters-learn-to-hate-it school of conservatism. 

The real question is: Should college administrators have to be academics?  Yes, absolutely.

Cheerful

Mayor Pete for Transportation Secretary.  Not very glamorous?

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Cheerful on December 15, 2020, 11:25:34 AM

I... guess he'll do less harm there than elsewhere? I don't know, I haven't thought about it very much. To me, he seems just as completely unqualified for that post as any other, but maybe this is one where his disqualifications don't come immediately into play.
I know it's a genus.

mythbuster

I was recently chatting with a friend of mine who spent 20 years working in the State Department. She "retired" in 2016 and had an interesting perspective on these picks. Her statement is that many of the structures of our government have been thoroughly trashed by the Trump administration. A combination of not filling posts, active sabotage by Trump appointees, and general incompetence have all taken a toll. She sees Biden as hiring people who know how to fix the mess. People who know what a functioning DOJ or State Department is supposed to look like. She sees this as a restoration presidency just to get us back to where we started.
   This might also explain Mayor Pete for Transportation- as that department is still relatively intact. A new guy would be an OK pick in that case. Elaine Chao was circumspect relative to her other fellow cabinet appointees. Of course I think she was just a mole for her husband.
   Based on this, I also expect the AG nomination to be the last one we hear about. I think Biden needs to fully know how much MORE damage will be done in the next month.

jimbogumbo

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on December 15, 2020, 11:47:31 AM

I... guess he'll do less harm there than elsewhere? I don't know, I haven't thought about it very much. To me, he seems just as completely unqualified for that post as any other, but maybe this is one where his disqualifications don't come immediately into play.

Your thoughts (and what myth buster said) were exactly mine. I'll take it further. I don't think one CAN mess up Transportation. It is the most automatic of them all. Crap, I think I could run it.

spork

Quote from: mythbuster on December 15, 2020, 12:11:14 PM
I was recently chatting with a friend of mine who spent 20 years working in the State Department. She "retired" in 2016 and had an interesting perspective on these picks. Her statement is that many of the structures of our government have been thoroughly trashed by the Trump administration. A combination of not filling posts, active sabotage by Trump appointees, and general incompetence have all taken a toll. She sees Biden as hiring people who know how to fix the mess. People who know what a functioning DOJ or State Department is supposed to look like. She sees this as a restoration presidency just to get us back to where we started.
   This might also explain Mayor Pete for Transportation- as that department is still relatively intact. A new guy would be an OK pick in that case. Elaine Chao was circumspect relative to her other fellow cabinet appointees. Of course I think she was just a mole for her husband.
   Based on this, I also expect the AG nomination to be the last one we hear about. I think Biden needs to fully know how much MORE damage will be done in the next month.

I too have an acquaintance who had a career in the State Department. He was at a very senior level when he retired, right before Trump was inaugurated, but he maintained contact with his former colleagues. They all quit or were fired under the guise of resignation by Trump and his minions. "A combination of not filling posts, active sabotage by Trump appointees, and general incompetence" is an accurate description of many if not all Cabinet-level agencies during the Trump administration.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

Caracal

Quote from: writingprof on December 12, 2020, 06:08:33 AM
I read somewhere that the Speaker of the House does not have to be an elected congressman and can, in fact, be any American.  It's also the case that Supreme Court justices do not have to be lawyers.  I think it's probably best if the attorney general is an attorney.  I suppose you could make the case that the surgeon general should be a doctor.  Otherwise, it doesn't matter to me.  Then again, I'm in the make-government-incompetent-so-voters-learn-to-hate-it school of conservatism. 

The real question is: Should college administrators have to be academics?  Yes, absolutely.

Its actually pretty similar. Going to grad school, teaching classes and/or doing research probably don't actually provide a lot of training for most of the the  things that a University President does. I imagine that Attorney Generals don't spend much time writing and reviewing legal findings. However, you're probably going to do better at the administrative and political parts of your job if you have legal training that guides you in doing your job.

writingprof

In retrospect, it's a perfect fit.  Who can forget the way Mayor Pete heroically turned around the South Bend subway system?

Also: Please don't leave it to me to make all the obvious jokes about Pete and the burly DOT men by whom he'll now be surrounded.

Langue_doc

Quote from: jimbogumbo on December 15, 2020, 12:44:49 PM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on December 15, 2020, 11:47:31 AM

Your thoughts (and what myth buster said) were exactly mine. I'll take it further. I don't think one CAN mess up Transportation. It is the most automatic of them all. Crap, I think I could run it.

Probably as qualified as the incumbent, Mitch M.'s wife.