News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Christmas Cookie Thread

Started by reener06, December 12, 2020, 08:58:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reener06

I remember this from the old fora but don't see it here; if I overlooked it, I do apologize and perhaps someone could point me there.

What are you making this year? I'm doing the traditional (for us):

Holly cookies (1970s goodness)
icebox cookies (1920s goodness)
Kolacky (also 1920s goodness)
decorated cut out butter cookies
peanut butter balls
probably fudge
maybe almond cookies-daughter's friend brought some and it brought back nice memories
jam thumbprint cookies
and maybe these from NYT: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1021710-chocolate-peppermint-shortbread?action=click&module=RecipeBox&pgType=recipebox-page&region=all&rank=1
and these (eggnog snickerdoodle): https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1021715-eggnog-snickerdoodles?module=Recipe+of+The+Day&pgType=homepage&action=click

I just made a deal with a friend on FB that she would send me some peppermint bark from TJs in exchange for homemade cookies. I'm immune-compromised so not going out, but she is not, so goes out more. I like this deal. But now I need to get backing.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Yay for cookies!

I really enjoy baking/cooking, even if I can't really indulge at the moment. In the past, we have made almond cookies (some dipped in milk chocolate), peanut butter cookies, gingerbread cookies, sugar cookies with a swirl and challah bread (I know, not a cookie).

It will be fun to try some new recipes this year. Thanks for the ideas!

Edit: I almost forgot. We have made Xmas crack in the past (saltines with homemade caramel, covered in chocolate and crushed almonds or pecans).

cathwen

It's just my husband and me this year, and we're both trying to take off some pandemic weight, so I'll be doing less baking than usual.  Nevertheless, I plan to bake molasses spice cookies or ginger cookies, plus iced butter cookies. 

nebo113

Quote from: cathwen on December 12, 2020, 11:59:48 AM
It's just my husband and me this year, and we're both trying to take off some pandemic weight, so I'll be doing less baking than usual.  Nevertheless, I plan to bake molasses spice cookies or ginger cookies, plus iced butter cookies.

Responding specifically to you and in  general to others:  I will be making ginger cookies with sorghum, rather than molasses.  Several years ago, my cousins grew sorghum and so made it from scratch!!  I even helped a little.  Their version is deliciously light, though I also love molasses.  I used it with my oatmeal, too.

Sugar cookies, cut with my grandmother's cookie cutters, which are at least 70 years old.

hmaria1609

The "Washington Post" published its annual holiday cookie recipe special in this Wednesday's (12/9) Food section print edition. Here's the online version:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/voraciously/holiday-cookie-recipes/
Happy cookie baking!

evil_physics_witchcraft

I'm feeling a little bit better, so I may try baking some cookies tomorrow. I may try making some molasses or ginger snap cookies. Not quite sure yet. Looking at recipes now...

nebo113

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on December 19, 2020, 06:08:37 PM
I'm feeling a little bit better, so I may try baking some cookies tomorrow. I may try making some molasses or ginger snap cookies. Not quite sure yet. Looking at recipes now...

if you do make ginger snaps, I recommend including fresh ginger.  Makes a biiiiiig difference.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: nebo113 on December 20, 2020, 06:41:08 AM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on December 19, 2020, 06:08:37 PM

if you do make ginger snaps, I recommend including fresh ginger.  Makes a biiiiiig difference.

I'll consider that. I have some 'fresh' ginger root (rhizome) and I can always dig more out of the pots in my living room.

nebo113

evil....Wow!!  Your own fresh ginger!   

I made sugar cookies with powdered sugar rather than granulated sugar and OMG, they are delicious!

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: nebo113 on December 21, 2020, 05:49:29 AM
evil....Wow!!  Your own fresh ginger!   

I made sugar cookies with powdered sugar rather than granulated sugar and OMG, they are delicious!

Damn straight! :)

Yum yum!

mamselle

COOKIE!!  COO--KIEE!!

Also, this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVfj9FfvcOA

More than one way to get a cookie...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

onehappyunicorn

I made brown butter coconut cookies, spice cookies, and fruit cake cookies last week to send to distant relatives.
I'm going to make some eggnog snickerdoodles and homemade marshmallows this week, I might make some spicy gingerbread cookies as well.

lillipat

I've made the old-family-standard pfeffernusse, and today did the spice cookies and chocolate-mint cookies.  Note to self for future years: only chill that chocolate dough for an hour or so.  Chilling overnight renders it exceedingly stiff, and you'll bruise your palms trying to chisel it out and onto the cookie sheets.

evil_physics_witchcraft

I finally got around to making two loaves of challah bread, peanut blossoms and peanut butter cookies. SO made fudge. I just didn't have it in me to make any almond cookies. Maybe tomorrow I'll do that and try to do some kind of gingerbread/molasses cookies and maybe sugar cookies.

mamselle

These two guys started off having a bake-off, and ended up organizing a cookie distribution service for essential workers:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/baking-competition-essential-workers-coronavirus-pandemic/

Funny how that works...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.