News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

President Biden's Education Finance Plans

Started by dismalist, February 11, 2021, 05:31:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dismalist

We all know that President Biden has plans to finance education. I bring it up now because there was apparently a press release a day or so ago.

One part of the plan is to make Community College free. That is noted in this news report, unfortunately along with many other things.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/meet-the-press/blog/meet-press-blog-latest-news-analysis-data-driving-political-discussion-n988541/ncrd1064061#blogHeader

Another part of the plan is to provide free tuition at four year colleges for those whose families earn under $125,000.

Of course, there are many more details, all given here https://joebiden.com/beyondhs/ It's work to wade through this, but worthwhile work. No, I am not yet finished wading. :-)

Anyway, one could favor or disfavor the general thrust and/or individual elements. There's plenty to chew on.

I don't disfavor redistribution, but I may disfavor specific ways of doing it.

Is this plan good, bad, ugly, or some of each?
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

mahagonny

It's a Christmas present for academics who have the real jobs, and probably little or no change for the majority ('contingent' faculty). What else would democrats do?

Parasaurolophus

We'll see what the concrete action brings, but this mostly seems OK. Many of you know a lot more about it all than I do, though.

QuoteBiden's plan would forgive outstanding student debt for those who have responsibly paid it back for 20 years. Those working jobs in "national or community service" like teaching or non-profits, would receive $10,000 student debt relief annually for up to five years for each year that they stay in that vocational job..

People making more than $25,000 would direct pay 5 percent of their discretionary income toward their loan, which is half of the current 10 percent cap. Those who make $25,000 or less would not be expected to pay back the government and would not accrue interest.

Isn't the first of these a reinstatement of something Trump cancelled? Or am I misremembering?

As for the second, it doesn't seem very good. For one thing, it's not especially progressive (5% at $25k is a significant amount of money, whereas at $100k it's relatively insignificant; it's also not clear what counts as 'discretionary'--is it just after taxes, or does it involve serious means-testing hoops to prove how much you pay in rent and food and stuff?)
I know it's a genus.

kaysixteen

In Canada, is college of any kind free for any class of students by government policy?   Also, are there US-style 'community' or 'junior' colleges there?

Parasaurolophus

CEGEP in Québec is almost free. It's two years after high school and before university, and you need to attend it before going on to university (in the province, though, a bachelor's is officially a three-year degree). It's also the place you go to learn a trade.

We have a few public associate's-granting institutions here, yes. My university used to be one, until 12 years ago. Dunno how comparable they are to American CCs, but I think they're basically similar.
I know it's a genus.

marshwiggle

Quote from: kaysixteen on February 11, 2021, 10:53:12 PM
In Canada, is college of any kind free for any class of students by government policy?   Also, are there US-style 'community' or 'junior' colleges there?

One of the main differences is terminology. In Canada, "college" refers to mainly vocational training, while "university" is for professional/academic training. Colleges give out diplomas; universities give out degrees. College cirricula are typically overseen by the province, while universities are more autonomous.

College tuition is typically lower than university tuition, and programs are usually shorter, 2 or 3 years is common.
It takes so little to be above average.