News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

First world problems! Share them here!

Started by ciao_yall, April 05, 2021, 09:46:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Hearing that it's consistent, I wonder if there may be some standard-of-care mandate that they're following to be sure patient health is not adversely affected.

For some, CPAP is primarily seen as a very helpful device (those with sleep apnea, etc.), but for others (mostly those who are just a step away from permanent ventilation) it can be quite seriously needed.

So it could be a kind of CYA protocol, they don't want anyone accusing them of not staying in touch or updating them on a device that for some is required to avoid serious results. It might also be needed if someone is supplementing with another supplier and the insurance coverage requires proof that the original supplier (with whom they may have a capped cost contract) is temporarily out.

Not that that mitigates the irritation of the repeated calls, but that could be why they're happening.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

pgher

Quote from: mamselle on September 17, 2021, 09:29:43 AM
Hearing that it's consistent, I wonder if there may be some standard-of-care mandate that they're following to be sure patient health is not adversely affected.

For some, CPAP is primarily seen as a very helpful device (those with sleep apnea, etc.), but for others (mostly those who are just a step away from permanent ventilation) it can be quite seriously needed.

So it could be a kind of CYA protocol, they don't want anyone accusing them of not staying in touch or updating them on a device that for some is required to avoid serious results. It might also be needed if someone is supplementing with another supplier and the insurance coverage requires proof that the original supplier (with whom they may have a capped cost contract) is temporarily out.

Not that that mitigates the irritation of the repeated calls, but that could be why they're happening.

M.

I think a big part of it is that insurance often covers the cost of the supplies, so it's just a cash cow for the providers. I have a bunch of replacement filters etc. that I just never get around to replacing.

Langue_doc

Quote from: ab_grp on September 17, 2021, 08:35:52 AM
Langue_doc, that sounds like the company my husband got his from.  I think they called every single night.  Because his most recent machine has been recalled, he ordered another (from a different company), and that company calls often to update that the new units are not in stock yet, and they don't know when they will be, but they just wanted to check in.  Meanwhile, the company the recall was from sent a replacement unit as well.  So we will be swimming in CPAPs, which I guess is better than the alternative.

Does the caller have a coy "come hither" tone of voice? Yesterday I answered the phone when they started leaving the canned recording and promptly hung up after which I got an email "reminding" me to reorder the supplies. They haven't called me today, so I hope they got the message. Your second provider sounds like the Mt. Sinai hospital system -- because of a single visit this year I have been bombarded with emails and texts, the latest one yesterday informing me that I should schedule appointments through their website as their phone system was experiencing delays.

Glad you have those extra supplies though. I usually keep an extra set of masks and tubes, but take all the other unneeded stuff to the doctor so that they can use them in the Sleep lab or donate them.

Morris Zapp

the_geneticist

We have found two new restaurants with delicious food, but they are too far to drive to on a weeknight.

evil_physics_witchcraft

I just burned my toast- like charred it. The kitchen is full of smoke. I had to turn on two fans, open a door and a window.

Now I must make toast again. :(

Harlow2

Continuing with extremely minor but vexing problems: the grounds basket on my coffee brewer gets clogged for no reason I can tell and then remains full of brewed coffee. Getting the coffee pored into cup requires dexterity I don't have prior to drinking the coffee.

mamselle

My Google Discovery app on my phone isn't opening.

I've done all the on-off stuff suggested, but it won't open.

I might actually have to start working right away, without have a good scroll-through as a procrastinatory activity buffer.

Oh, well.

Sigh.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

paultuttle

The birds nesting in the bush outside my "office" (formerly our dining room) are making too much noise, and one just (somehow) banged on the window.

Speaking as a person who lives two blocks from a university campus and hears the deep "thump thump THUMP" of overstimulated subwoofers nearly every Friday and Saturday night when school is in session, it's too early in the day for hard-partying animals of any type.

mamselle

After a re-start and ignoring it for awhile, the Discover feed returned.

By then, I'd started to think maybe it was just as well not to have it to tempt me into scrolling through the whole news feed all the time...

Back to discipline instead of default non-repair.

In other news, I love my high-school aged music student, but he can be selectively deaf when I try to tell him which measure I want him to start on, and he persists in trying to play the whole sonata without the music during his lesson, which adds to the communication issues. (He memorizes better than he reads, so I get it, sort of, but we've been around this block a thousand times....!)

The measures are numbered. If you LOOK AT THE MUSIC, you'll see where I mean, instead of guessing wrong three times!

Open the music!!!!

(Thanks, that felt better...)

M.

ETA: After a moment's reflection, I realized I should also say that, once all the notes had settled back into their places on the page, and he realized he truly was wrong, he thanked me for the correction, which he does unfailingly.

I never taught him, as far as I recall, to do that. I don't know where it comes from. But we can go at it hammer and tongs, and still come out resolved.

So there's that, too.

M.

Aster

I got a free hash brown at the drive-thru this week.

ab_grp

I just dunked one end of my cozy blanket/wrap thingy into my glass of water.

AvidReader

Quote from: Langue_doc on September 17, 2021, 12:14:26 PM
Your second provider sounds like the Mt. Sinai hospital system -- because of a single visit this year I have been bombarded with emails and texts, the latest one yesterday informing me that I should schedule appointments through their website as their phone system was experiencing delays.

Spouse & I bought a new house last year. We also bought a new mattress online, to furnish a bedroom.

New Mattress Company now emails me weekly to see if I want to buy more mattresses. For medical supplies, reminders to reorder things sort of make sense. Repeat orders of mattresses do not make sense. Do they not think their mattresses will last longer than a week?

AR.

paultuttle

Housing prices (both to buy and to rent) are shooting up into the stratosphere. Food, clothing, and transportation prices are going in that direction as well.

Sun_Worshiper

Three first world problems:
(1) I'm trying to cut down on caffeine so I can get better sleep... but now I'm tired all the time.
(2) Somehow my phone number has been put on a mortgage application and now I'm getting spammed like crazy from every lender in the city (I haven't lived in this city for over a decade, but phone number still has that area code). Fortunately I have a setting on my phone that lets me ignore unknown numbers, but it is still a little irritating.
(3) I just started teaching an intensive seven week class and now I only have time to exercise three mornings per week. I could do evening exercise, I suppose, but prefer not to.