News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

need tech help/McGyver please

Started by The Future, May 14, 2021, 10:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Future

Hello: 
I do not have a smartphone.  I do have WIFI and a computer though.  Is it possible to purchase a camera to be placed inside my home window that connects to my computer to act as day/night security/surveillance ?  I just need it to capture and record.  I do not want to access it remotely.  Any suggestions on what to get? 

lightning

It might be easier to get a standalone portable video camera. These things can also be connected to a computer. Just make sure that you get one with a power supply, since you will be using it for 24/7 surveillance.

Pendragon

Would a hunting or trail camera work? They're usually motion-activated.

clean

QuoteWould a hunting or trail camera work? They're usually motion-activated.

If this is placed inside the house, the camera will not trigger.  However, this is a good idea. I have, on occation (when I notice a few days of doggy deliveries), I set one up again for a few days.
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

clean

I have an ancient Ipod Nano.
It has a wheel and a button. I think that the button works, but the wheel does not.

GIven the news today that Apple is discontinuing the Ipod, I wanted to know where I could even begin to have my ancient device shipped for even an estimate of the cost to repair. 
I hope to get back to walking and this device is much more convenient than my Iphone 11 plus. 

Id pay up to $50 to get it repaired and functional again.

Any thoughts? 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Anselm

Quote from: clean on May 11, 2022, 11:00:39 AM
I have an ancient Ipod Nano.
It has a wheel and a button. I think that the button works, but the wheel does not.

GIven the news today that Apple is discontinuing the Ipod, I wanted to know where I could even begin to have my ancient device shipped for even an estimate of the cost to repair. 
I hope to get back to walking and this device is much more convenient than my Iphone 11 plus. 

Id pay up to $50 to get it repaired and functional again.

Any thoughts?

Almost every city now has small businesses that repair phones and computers.  They might be able to handle this.
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

The Future

Hello Anselm:
I was crushed to hear of the Ipod news.  There are some listed on Ebay that may be worth paying more than $50 vs. having your old one repaired.  I bought a Nano in New condition in most of the original packaging about 2 or 3 years ago from ebay since apple was no longer selling Nanos at that time.  It works great.  With many companies now offering turntables, cassette tape players, and cd players, I wonder if in a few years another company will try to make a product to be compatible to IPOD/small mp3 player so that people who still want to use this technology can.  I do not want to use a phone to listen to music - do not want the interruption of a call and I like the size/weight of the Nano.  Good luck in your search and all the best to getting back to walking (with music!). 

The Future

Has anyone tried to migrate to any of these using Itunes???  https://www.fatherly.com/play/ipod-alternatives-best-mp3-players/
Just wondering if it is possible/how easy - guess I should check YouTube
but would like to hear if anyone has tried

jimbogumbo

We just purchased and installed two Eufy security cameras. With Apple's Home app we can do everything you describe.