News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Bastille Day

Started by Langue_doc, July 14, 2021, 04:00:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

Greetings to those who celebrate quatorze juillet jour de la fête nationale!

The above phrase is all that I remember from a dialogue in my introductory French course.

Happy 14th!

Mamselle, here's to you!

mamselle

Merci bien!

En 2019:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmnVJSg3z5A

et bien, l'annee passee:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qypt1qngN88

(I'm a little unclear why they're correctly spaced but no-one in the cars is masked...!)

On the other hand, at 45:38, the Foreign Legion's rendition of "La Mer" in the middle made me (and several others) laugh .

And the flag's unfurling by care workers at 1:15:10, with Macron going down to thank them personally, was most thoughtful.

M.   
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Langue_doc

Merci beaucoup!

I liked the comments, especially this one from a true cosmopolitan:
"Pour un mexicain comme moi La Marseillaise est un des Meilleiur Hymnes de Liberte et de Lumiere de Democratie"

mamselle

That's interesting, I didn't read them all, so must have skipped that one...

Actually the one thing I have trouble with the Marseillaise, although I love the music, is the text...the elements of exclusions, classism, and racism in French society are conceivably helped along their way by a national song urging its citizens to mobilize to prevent the entry of《un sang impure》upon their doorsteps.

And its militarism, like the zenophobia above, also a product of its times, bothers me as well.

I noticed Macron didn't sing the first verse, he seemed to be thinking or praying with his eyes closed throughout...I wonder how he feels about it.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.