News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Happy Thanksgiving (Canadian Version)

Started by clean, October 10, 2021, 05:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clean

IT is that time of year again! 
As the US deals with Columbus/indigenous Peoples' Day, Canada celebrates Thanksgiving!

Do you have any plans?
What will you cook?  (Is it comparable to the US Norman Rockwell version?)

How will COVID change things (year 2)?

Anyway, I hope that you all enjoy the time with your families! 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Langue_doc

Adding my wishes to our Canadian forumites for a happy Thanksgiving tomorrow.

I was made aware that our Columbus Day weekend coincides with the Canadian Thanksgiving when I was in Vermont and New Hampshire more than a decade ago. We couldn't get any dinner reservations in Vermont that weekend, and the following Monday ran into a group of schoolteachers in the White Mountains who told us that many Canadians would travel south to the US to see the fall colors that weekend, hence the solidly booked restaurants and hotels.

Morden

Thanks very much Clean and Langue Doc.
Thanksgiving for many Canadians is much less important than it is for Americans. It's a harvest festival, and a chance to get together with family. Growing up we always used to have turkey, etc.
But COVID has scuppered a lot of plans again. It'll just  be me and SO tomorrow, but I am going to buy a pumpkin pie.

Parasaurolophus

I have never celebrated it. But my father and stepmother took the train over to visit us (I haven't seen them in nearly three years), and we had a pizza. And now they leave tomorrow.
I know it's a genus.

traductio

We're a family of Americans living in Canada, so Thanksgiving in October has taken getting used to. It was (and is) a big deal in the family I grew up in (still in the States), but we haven't been able to visit them in about three years. (It had been a year when Covid struck.) Not that that would matter for Thanksgiving.

We had our Thanksgiving dinner yesterday. Since my kids don't like turkey, potatoes, or corn (how are we even related?), my spouse decided to make braised lamb shanks with lentils, and I made mashed root vegetables (potato, sweet potato, and celeriac). It was fantastic.

My kids were very happy with their plain cheese sandwiches because they were on fancy buns.

The other joy of Canadian Thanksgiving is that we cook a lot of apple desserts. My spouse is allergic to raw apples, but cooked are fine, and our province has a lot of yummy, yummy apples this time of year.

kaysixteen

Doesn't the CFL have a regular Thanksgiving Day football doubleheader, whereas I do not think Monday games are otherwise regularly played there?