News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Best Candy

Started by evil_physics_witchcraft, October 12, 2021, 06:35:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbogumbo

I left out Milky Way and Cadbury bars.

To mess with is fudge a candy or not, I offer Three Musketeers Fudge Bars.

aside

When I was young, I enjoyed Toblerone.

onthefringe

Quote from: mamselle on October 13, 2021, 11:05:49 AMOh, actually, those dusted Turkish gelatin delights

Have to disagree with you on this one. After many childhood readings of Narnia I assumed Turkish delight must be aMAZing. Tried it finally, and all I could think was "what was wrong with Edmund?"

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: onthefringe on October 13, 2021, 04:53:48 PM
Quote from: mamselle on October 13, 2021, 11:05:49 AMOh, actually, those dusted Turkish gelatin delights

Have to disagree with you on this one. After many childhood readings of Narnia I assumed Turkish delight must be aMAZing. Tried it finally, and all I could think was "what was wrong with Edmund?"

He's English.
I know it's a genus.

Vkw10

Lindt's Gocce di Sole, with their sharp citrus flavors.

Mallo Cups, fortunately difficult to find in my area.

Horehound sticks or drops.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

traductio

My dad read the Narnia Chronicles to me when I was a kid, and I read them to my kids. (For the record, three are amazing books, two are frighteningly racist, and two are meh.) My daughter -- like me, when I was a kid -- was so curious about Turkish delight. Unlike my dad, though, I went and bought some, maybe because I was still curious myself.

My conclusion? Not worth betraying your brother and sisters to the White Witch.

ciao_yall

Quote from: sinenomine on October 13, 2021, 03:27:31 AM
Reese's and Snickers.

Ditto. The mix of sweet and salty is awesome.

Oddly enough, as a kid, I didn't like either. I liked Milky Way and 3 Musketeers for their straightforward sweet blandness.

apl68

I thought it was pretty good the one time I had it.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

EdnaMode

I'm not much for sweets, but do like sour gummy candy. There used to be a candy called "Sour Dudes" that I absolutely loved. They were so incredibly sour and I've never found their equal. Sour gummy Jolly Ranchers aren't bad for a substitute, but just aren't the same level of sour. I also like soft mint candy like Bob's Sweet Stripes and have a bowl of them in my office. They're quite popular with students who stop by and ask if they can have one or two. I don't eat much chocolate, but on occasions when I crave some, we have a local shop that makes their chocolates in-house and I will splurge on some dark chocolates with caramel centers, or dark chocolate turtles. Yum!
I never look back, darling. It distracts from the now.

ergative

Quote from: traductio on October 13, 2021, 07:28:34 PM

My dad read the Narnia Chronicles to me when I was a kid, and I read them to my kids. (For the record, three are amazing books, two are frighteningly racist, and two are meh.) My daughter -- like me, when I was a kid -- was so curious about Turkish delight. Unlike my dad, though, I went and bought some, maybe because I was still curious myself.

I saw a tweet which said that this whole plot element makes a lot more sense if it's interpreted in the context of war-time sugar rationing.

How do the books break down for you on amazing/racist/meh? I haven't read them in a while, but I do recall that there was some distinct ethnic coding in The Horse and His Boy and Prince Caspian. I don't remember reading it as racist, but then I was 12 at the time, and I have difficulty imagining someone of C. S. Lewis's background doing a good job with ethnic diversity.

Aster

Rolos. I've seen adults fight over these. There's probably opioids or something inside them...

hmaria1609

Check out this fun interactive map of popular Halloween candy by state:
https://www.candystore.com/blog/facts-trivia/halloween-candy-map-popular/
Features this year's winners and past ones.

traductio

Quote from: ergative on October 14, 2021, 07:34:10 AM
Quote from: traductio on October 13, 2021, 07:28:34 PM

I saw a tweet which said that this whole plot element makes a lot more sense if it's interpreted in the context of war-time sugar rationing.

How do the books break down for you on amazing/racist/meh? I haven't read them in a while, but I do recall that there was some distinct ethnic coding in The Horse and His Boy and Prince Caspian. I don't remember reading it as racist, but then I was 12 at the time, and I have difficulty imagining someone of C. S. Lewis's background doing a good job with ethnic diversity.

That makes sense for the Turkish delight. I mean, it wasn't bad, but it wasn't worth the betrayal it prompts in the book!

(And at the risk of derailing the thread, I love The Magician's Nephew, The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, and Voyage of the Dawntreader. At the other end of the spectrum, The Horse and His Boy and The Last Battle are very much a product of their time, and the depiction of the Calormenes is not something I'm comfortable reading to my kids now. Prince Caspian and The Silver Chair are okay as stories go, although Puddleglum in The Silver Chair is an endearing character.) /hijack

mamselle

Mashwiggle will appreciate your last statement.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

traductio

Quote from: mamselle on October 14, 2021, 03:20:28 PM
Mashwiggle will appreciate your last statement.

M.

That thought had occurred to me!