News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Fall Daylight Savings Nov. 7 (US)

Started by hmaria1609, November 06, 2021, 07:15:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hmaria1609

Fall back an hour this weekend!

I changed the digital clock in my car earlier this evening.

mamselle

I think my digital devices all change themselves.

I have one clock in the kitchen whose dial-changing knob I can't easily reach anymore, because, extra shelf there.

So I leave it on one time and just add/subtract an hour (don't even know which--except it's right at the moment, so it must be on DLS time....) and let it go at that.

I noticed that because of the changing appearance of the sunlight lately, I've been automatically shifting when I get up and go to bed, anyway.

So I'll just keep doing that.

M.   
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

dismalist

Quote from: hmaria1609 on November 06, 2021, 07:15:29 PM
Fall back an hour this weekend!

I changed the digital clock in my car earlier this evening.

My brain, insofar as it exists, has been on Standard Time since Daylight Saving Time started.

Just as a reminder, this moronicity started in WW I. I believe WW I ended at some stage. Maybe not everybody got the memo.

Also, if one is going to take an hour away and then give it back some months later, I want it back with interest!

Moreover, if any like the light, make the clock say whatever you like; just don't change it.

That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

mamselle

The idea was Ben Franklin's. Don't blame WW I.

But I don't see the problem. In two weeks, the body's system rights itself and keeps going.

I just liken it to being in France, or someplace else pleasant; you have to change time zones then, too.

So just imagine you're on holiday for several months.

(Unless, of course, it puts you in the middle of an ocean with no convenient, nearby islands. Then you might need a flotation device for a little while...)

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

mahagonny

My thought was we should add an hour to the day every day at 2 a.m. In several weeks the entire night/day experience would be flipped. Then it would flip back again. This would help alleviate seasonal affect disorder by offsetting the monotony of the winter. My wife met Calvin Trillin at a social gathering right around this time of the year. She told him my idea. 'He looked interested' she said.

kaysixteen

The idea has been floated here in New England that, instead of ditching DST, we should relocate ourselves to the Canadian Maritimes Atlantic TZ.   Not a bad notion.   We really are very far east here.

secundem_artem

Quote from: kaysixteen on November 07, 2021, 09:45:59 PM
The idea has been floated here in New England that, instead of ditching DST, we should relocate ourselves to the Canadian Maritimes Atlantic TZ.   Not a bad notion.   We really are very far east here.

As they used to say on the CBC - the world ends at midnight.  1230 in Newfoundland.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances