News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Your Home Office

Started by Morris Zapp, August 07, 2019, 10:10:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheerful

Quote from: ohnoes on August 09, 2019, 08:05:43 AM
I got my desk from a local school for about $20 and refinished it.  It's an old oak double pedestal deal and I am immensely pleased with it.

Bookcases and file cabinet are also oak and stained to match the desk.  These three things were outrageously expensive but are lovely.

I have a cheap IKEA desk chair to "encourage" less time at the desk and a quality leather recliner for reading and resting my eyes.

Other than the IKEA chair, wow, that sounds so very nice!

I need a high-quality desk chair but don't want to order online without trying in-person first.  Any recommendations, anyone?  Willing to pay for a good one.  The cheapy I just got at local office supply store isn't so good.

fourhats

I'm sort of old school myself, but once I started using a laptop years ago I never looked back. It means that my office/spare bedroom has a desk covered with my books and papers, but I actually write stretched out on the sofa (converts to a bed for guests), or in an armchair with a footstool. Bookcases almost to the ceiling, with Bed Bath and Beyond canvas boxes on top for the papers and miscellanea that I don't want to stare at all the time.

Love your name--are you a David Lodge fan?

Morris Zapp

Yup!  Huge David Lodge fan.

Thanks for all the suggestions.  Keep them coming!

mamselle

My home office is sort of my whole apartment, I think....

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

S-4711

L-shaped corner desk, a Respawn reclining gaming chair (excellent if you have back problems), a filing cabinet, a sofa and a large footstool.

archaeo42

I have this desk in a slightly larger version: https://www.target.com/p/double-trestle-desk-black-convenience-concepts/-/A-51956412

I use a docking station for my laptop so have plenty of space for a full size monitor and external keyboard and mouse. The surface area is large enough that I have plenty of space to be able to refer to reference material as needed. I also like using bins for office supplies I need semi-regularly and those are on the lower shelves. The previous owners of my house also used this room as an office so there's an existing built-in shelving unit. I don't love the style but I don't care enough to remove it and find something else. It gets used for miscellaneous storage. I have a couple book cases lining one wall that I picked up randomly from other the years. There's also a small repurposed typewriter table I use as a printer stand that I picked up on Craigslist. I also have a comfy chair for reading or sitting in for conference calls that I got at a deep discount from a furniture store that needed to sell all its stock.
"The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate."

bioteacher

I have office envy. Seriously. I have one "build your own pressed sawdust computer table" in the corner of the bedroom. My "workspace" is the tv tray beside me. Sometimes, the bed helps with sorting papers.
The idea of a whole room for working is so luxurious. I have a love affair with roll top desks, so having one of those sounds like heaven, too.

I'm here to drool and live vicariously.

fast_and_bulbous

I have two computer desks and a library table I've had for almost 30 years. It's in the biggest room of a large finished basement. There is a tournament sized pool table behind me that makes for a nice diversion when I have been sitting too long.

My main computer desk has a decent stereo (speakers are on the wall facing me) and a little space heater for the cold months under the desk. I can get lots done down here. Oh, and there's a bathroom down here too! But no refrigerator; I have to go upstairs for that.
I wake up every morning with a healthy dose of analog delay

archaeo42

Quote from: fast_and_bulbous on August 17, 2019, 02:47:06 PM
I have two computer desks and a library table I've had for almost 30 years. It's in the biggest room of a large finished basement. There is a tournament sized pool table behind me that makes for a nice diversion when I have been sitting too long.

My main computer desk has a decent stereo (speakers are on the wall facing me) and a little space heater for the cold months under the desk. I can get lots done down here. Oh, and there's a bathroom down here too! But no refrigerator; I have to go upstairs for that.

What I'm reading is that you need a mini fridge. I believe Craigslist has a good selection towards the end of the school year.
"The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate."