News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

What have you read lately?

Started by polly_mer, May 19, 2019, 02:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

Fuzz:  When Nature Breaks the Law, by Mary Roach.  She has made a career of writing books, on subjects like the human aspects of space travel and what happens to dead bodies, that combine impressively detailed hands-on journalism with a sense of humor that can make one wonder, the author photos notwithstanding, whether "Mary Roach" is a pen name for some talented college sophomore frat guy.  The books are fascinatingly informative and funny, but the emphasis on the gross-out aspects of their subjects gets old at times.  She's also become much more uninhibited in her use of Anglo Saxonisms over the years.

Anyway, Fuzz is about how wildlife makes trouble for humans and human activities, and how humans try to cope with it.  It deals with issues such as coexistence with hazardous creatures like bears and mountain lions--which most people nowadays really want to conserve, but some of those who actually have to deal with them aren't so sure; with marauding elephants and monkeys in India; with how to manage pests; and with management of invasive species.  As always, Roach has uncovered some pretty amazing stuff.  And there are some real dilemmas, such as New Zealand's efforts to get rid of invasive species that threaten to destroy native species, without being too inhumane or environmentally disruptive in the process.  You come away with the impression that there has been a lot of progress over the years in wildlife control--and yet there's an awful lot more that needs to be made.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

ab_grp

That sounds interesting, apl68! I have read a couple of her other books and always found them pretty fascinating.

apl68

Quote from: ab_grp on January 21, 2022, 08:35:58 AM
That sounds interesting, apl68! I have read a couple of her other books and always found them pretty fascinating.

Oh, if you like Mary Roach's writing, you'll like this one too.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

paultuttle

I recently re-read the Harry Potter series along with Pride and Prejudice. Moving soon to The Best of James Herriot.

FishProf

Quote from: paultuttle on January 21, 2022, 12:08:02 PM
I recently re-read the Harry Potter series along with Pride and Prejudice. Moving soon to The Best of James Herriot.

Book 1 - HP and the Sorcerer's Pride
Book 2 - HP And the Prejudice of Azkaban

Is this like Pride and Prejudice and Zombies?
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

apl68

Quote from: FishProf on January 21, 2022, 12:22:48 PM

I'm looking forward to James Harriot's Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

FishProf

Quote from: apl68 on January 21, 2022, 01:02:05 PM

That was certainly better than The Once and Future King Kong.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

apl68

Quote from: FishProf on January 21, 2022, 01:11:51 PM

Haven't seen that one, but I'd be glad to take your word for it.

paultuttle

Quote from: apl68 on January 21, 2022, 01:15:44 PM
Quote from: FishProf on January 21, 2022, 01:11:51 PM

Haven't seen that one, but I'd be glad to take your word for it.

These are hilarious! I especially love The Once and Future King Kong. Maybe we should start an "improbable title mashup" thread.

smallcleanrat

IMHO Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters is a better read than Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

mamselle

Not into zombies, but Death at Pemberly (P.D.James) was good.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

smallcleanrat

Quote from: mamselle on January 21, 2022, 04:35:56 PM
Not into zombies, but Death at Pemberly (P.D.James) was good.

M.

But how do you feel about sea monsters?

mamselle

Bicycle past Loch Lomond once, didn't see any...

;--》

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ergative

Quote from: mamselle on January 22, 2022, 07:38:52 AM

;--》

M.

Naturally not! For that you need in Loch Ness.

mamselle

Quote from: ergative on January 22, 2022, 08:06:56 AM
Quote from: mamselle on January 22, 2022, 07:38:52 AM

;--》

M.

Naturally not! For that you need in Loch Ness.

Oh, of course. That might be why...

M.