News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Fauna and other natural things

Started by Thursday's_Child, August 29, 2019, 07:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paultuttle

My husband captured video of three deer leaping across a bike/walking/jogging path yesterday at the local Revolutionary War battleground park.

Parasaurolophus

The hatchling and I just went for our daily walk through the woods, and our paths crossed a great horned owl.

9h, and one banana slug.
I know it's a genus.

nebo113

A somewhat confused chipmunk climbed up and down a screen.  I'm not sure whether it wanted in the house or just didn't like the birds feeding at the feeders on the porch.

mamselle

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on November 10, 2021, 03:37:40 PM
The hatchling and I just went for our daily walk through the woods, and our paths crossed a great horned owl.

9h, and one banana slug.

What's 9h?

9 herons, or....?

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

nebo113

Dog barking madly on porch as I am removing bird feeders a bit after dark.  Finally realize the raccoon which I know loves bird seed and will empty feeders is on porch rail with little paws clasped around post.  Dog will not come in with R on porch.  I get flashlight (porch light burned out).  R still won't move.  I get looooong stick and poke.  R hisses, dog continues to bark madly.  R won't move.  I decide photo is in order, and when I get back out with phone, turns out there are TWO raccoons, Big Mamma R and Little R.  Photo taken and posted to FB.  Finally, after lots of persuasion, canine induced to come inside.  I'm barefooted and my feet are freezing.

Quiet ensues.

Moral of this story is that I must remember to bring in bird feeders before dark.

Morden

mamselle

Quote from: Morden on November 14, 2021, 09:13:26 AM
Raccoons are scary.

Especially when procreation at 2 AM in the willow tree in your back yard.

Right outside your bedroom window.

And clearly at least one took the mantra from the days of sexual liberation, "Make noise!" to heart.

Probably both.

Just get it over and go to sleep, guys.

So I can.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Puget

I was out for a jog in the dark the other evening (because everything after work is now in the dark), when into the beam of my running light trotted a small skunk. Luckily it was unperturbed and kept right on trotting across the path and into the trees on the other side.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

mamselle

I think I posted this on the old forum:

When I went to my students' homes, I would walk to one of them from the bus stop, a block away. They lived near a playground and woods that had critters (including, at the other end, the woods near where I lived where the abovementioned raccoons cavorted).

In that block there was a very friendly black-and-white cat, named Sam.

Sam liked to sit on one of the gatepost tops and get people to pet him. He would also wrap himself around your ankles if you happened to cross 'his' driveway. There were signs all over the neighborhood reminding people it was fine to pet Sam, he was very friendly, but please don't feed him because he had some dietary issues, was getting to be an older kitty, etc.

So one afternoon, it was starting to get dark, and I was walking along the sidewalk near Sam's house and a black-and white furry creature came into view.

I had nearly bent down to pet it when I realized it wasn't Sam...and kept going.

M.

Langue_doc

Speaking of raccoons...

About ten years or so ago, I was coming home from my usual walk when I saw people on both sides of the road, staring at the second floor of a house. I heard someone say "his eyes are red", so I stopped to see who the red eyes belonged to. There was a raccoon peeping out of a hole in the faux-stone siding; a few minutes later, another raccoon joined the first one. Soon after, the siding was replaced, and the house seems to have changed hands several times subsequently. I still refer to this house as "the raccoon house".

mamselle

They have such cute little faces, don't they?

M.

hmaria1609

A raccoon got into someone's house in Stafford Co., VA over the weekend:
https://wtop.com/stafford-county/2021/11/masked-intruder-raccoon-apprehended-by-stafford-co-deputies/
Posted on WTOP online 11/14/21

nebo113

Langue_doc

Raccoons are the latest fare-beaters in NYC.

Raccoon Spotted Trying To Enter LIC Subway Station, Video Shows

Here is the picture of the raccoon entering the station; I couldn't find the video.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWYYza2glZI/

Here is the article:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/raccoon-spotted-trying-to-enter-lic-subway-station-video-shows/ar-AAQPaeO?cvid=f5cf9fc95d1f4e8e9a114a960d0357c4&ocid=winp1taskbar

Parasaurolophus

I offered a buck a kale leaf this morning, which it ate. It did not like it.
I know it's a genus.