News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

What's your weather?

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 05:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

The forecast temperatures for the weekend just keep going up every day.  We're now looking at highs in the 90s over the next three consecutive days.  Since our highs tend to beat the forecast by a couple of degrees, we're likely to be baking in the mid-90s by Sunday.  At least we have fewer hours of direct sunlight.  Most of our fall foliage will probably be a loss.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

AmLitHist

After a way-too-hot mid-October weekend, the tornado sirens just went off.  It's been windy and wild all morning, though I did manage to get both my virtual classes in, between storms. Pretty typical for the transition into fall for this area.

We're expecting unsettled and rainy weather all week, dropping from the recent low 90s into the 70s. Lots of greenish and yellowing leaves are already falling in today's wind.

mamselle

Lovely, cool, clear, buttermilk skies in which the sun arose over the water as I walked by the river; lots of good pictures with blushes of fall color here and there, and some cool metallic water-reflections of houses, trees, and birds in them.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ab_grp

It's been relatively cooler here for a few days.  Today is very windy and dusty.  No mountains in sight at the moment.

mamselle

Dunno--at least not by direct observation.

I've had early-AM meetings or lessons every day so far this week so I couldn't get out and walk.

Tomorrow...

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

Sweltering until Saturday.  Fingers crossed that the relief won't evaporate from the forecast by then, as it often does.  At least it's pretty out.

mamselle

Cool, comfy, bright, nice.

Two swans and a heron thought so, too....

M.

apl68

mamselle

Quote from: apl68 on October 13, 2021, 10:34:21 AM
Lovely birds, mamselle!

Thanks!

Yes, I got some good pictures, too....and the sun has that golden fall glow on the yellow leaves and the trees are turning Corot red....

Fall is my time.

M.

hmaria1609

Steady rain. It started as I was leaving the library at the end of the day--it had been sunny earlier!
It'll be on and off with rain this week:
https://wtop.com/weather-news/2021/10/storms-strong-winds-expected-to-sweep-dc-region/

hmaria1609

I see that New England got pounded by a nor'easter yesterday:
https://wtop.com/national/2021/10/noreaster-brings-hurricane-force-wind-causes-power-outages/
Hope you're safe and dry to our forum members living in that region!

We'll be getting heavy rainfall overnight into Friday here in the metro DC area:
https://wtop.com/weather-news/2021/10/another-powerful-storm-system-moving-into-dc-region/
From WTOP Radio 10/28/21

mamselle

All quite, calm, but much colder today.

I skipped my walk yesterday after hearing the rain--turned over and slept for an extra hour--but got up today and had a good stroll through all the broken branches and leaf mast that were strewn about.

The brook is back up, much better than it was the past week, it was so low you could see bottom, which is unusual, and bodes less well for ducks and swans with low keel clearance.

No heron (I think it's really migrated this time; my other heron-interested friend hasn't reported seeing it, either), several geese, two swans, and three bunches of ducks (one very funny combo--I think they're the mother and 7 babies I've been tracking all spring/summer/now, fall).

The babies, who've grown up otherwise, still seem to have their little, cheepy voices, which is hilarious coming out of a big, resplendent male mallard in all his emerald-necked glory.

The mother duck continued to chide them and herd them into place, of course.

M.

Harlow2

About to be unpleasant again. Minor tidal flooding has shut down the road I take home 2 nights in a row, with a few inches of rain on the way to top everything off. Warm , though; still picking tomatoes and peppers

mamselle

Yikes!

As long as you turn around and don't try to drive through...!

M.

apl68

This week we've gone from summer-like highs well into the 80s to highs around 60.  The pleasant, mild temperature ranges have been skipped entirely.  We're supposed to see some of that this weekend.  Our local weather has always been notorious for bipolar moods in the spring and fall, but the swings are getting more extreme.

We've also had some rain, which we needed.  Currently chilly and overcast.