News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Audiobook Time!

Started by downer, May 23, 2019, 10:36:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

downer

I generally have several books on the go at the same time, including audiobooks.

Mostly I listen to new releases, but occasionally I go back in time. I recently made an effort with Catch 22, but didn't get far.

Right now I'm listening to Anne Tyler's Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant, which comes highly recommended. Seems like a good summer book, good for lying down and enjoying in a leisurely way.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

FishProf

I am a huge audio book fan.  I am currently listening my way through the Patrick O'Brien Aubrey/Maturin series (all 21 books) and I listen to something non-fictional between each one.   I just finished "As You Wish" by Cary Elwes, an excellent retrospective on The Princess Bride.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

memyself

Two audiobooks I just can't seem to delete from my mp3 player:

I absolutely love The Uncommon Reader, a novella by Alan Bennett, read by the author: what happens when Queen Elizabeth II's corgis lead her to the travelling library parked at Windsor...

The Testament of Mary, a novella by Colm Toibin, read by Meryl Streep.

ergative

I've discovered Librivox, and am cruising my way through old classic sci fi stories. Last night I had fun listening to H. Beam Piper short stories, and next I'm going to 'read' some Murray Leinster.

FishProf

I just finished Bradbury's The Illustrated Man.  A great short story collection I likely would never have read in paper.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

azaz_the_unabridged

I just finished Elizabeth Moon's Sheepfarmer's Daughter. It lasted through a few road trips, and I'm itching to start the next book in the series.

Puget

Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman, which I enjoyed. With all the animal voices and accents it was a good one to do audio instead of print book.

And for falling asleep, re-listening to At Home by, and read by, Bill Bryson. The book is actually pretty interesting-- one of those  history through a particular narrow angle books (in this case his house), and I listened to it the first time mostly while conscious, but the combination of detailed descriptions, lack of anything resembling plot, and his voice, makes it really a perfect sleep aid.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes