News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Microsoft Outlook/GoDaddy

Started by nebo113, July 08, 2022, 01:45:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nebo113

Suddenly, email from me has "failed delivery" to my mother and sister, either individually or together.  I tried responding and initiating: Failed delivery.

I know sibling and Mother are not blocking me; neither would know how!  And Mother is sitting right next to me.

Any suggestions as to what the problem might be?

If it continues, I am told to contact my "email admin" but I don't know if that is me or Godaddy.

Thanks for suggestions.

mamselle

I don't know enough to know, but something in me says, "Hack?"

You might Google it as a question and see if it has a listing for a scam like that.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Liquidambar

If your email domain has done something questionable with their security (e.g., been hacked and used to send too much spam), it might be blacklisted by your recipients' email provider.  This happened to my collaborator's institution--he couldn't send email to most places for about a week until his IT somehow got themselves un-blacklisted.

ETA:  This site appears you let you check if your mail server is blacklisted:  https://mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently

nebo113

nebo113

Quote from: Liquidambar on July 08, 2022, 04:44:56 PM
If your email domain has done something questionable with their security (e.g., been hacked and used to send too much spam), it might be blacklisted by your recipients' email provider.  This happened to my collaborator's institution--he couldn't send email to most places for about a week until his IT somehow got themselves un-blacklisted.

ETA:  This site appears you let you check if your mail server is blacklisted:  https://mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx

IP address is blacklisted, but only one site (hosts my mother and sister) blocks me, and not every time.  Went to local tech fixer and he said he'd been blacklisted at one time and after 3 months of trying to get off the list, he finally changed his email address.

If it becomes a consistent problem with mother and sibling, I'll get another email address to use just with them.

Hibush

This troublesome behavior is not widely acknowledged. I had to do a lot of digging to find out a similar thing. A Spectrum server has the university, or part of it, on a blacklist. If I automatically forward email to my Spectrum-using recipient it is blocked. If I manually forward the same email, it goes through. Who would have thought that to be caused by a blacklist, and that a university would get blacklisted by a major email provider!

onthefringe

Quote from: Hibush on July 11, 2022, 07:39:43 PM
This troublesome behavior is not widely acknowledged. I had to do a lot of digging to find out a similar thing. A Spectrum server has the university, or part of it, on a blacklist. If I automatically forward email to my Spectrum-using recipient it is blocked. If I manually forward the same email, it goes through. Who would have thought that to be caused by a blacklist, and that a university would get blacklisted by a major email provider!

My university occasionally blacklists gmail, so maybe we have it coming?

Hibush

Quote from: onthefringe on July 12, 2022, 08:02:21 AM
Quote from: Hibush on July 11, 2022, 07:39:43 PM
... Who would have thought that to be caused by a blacklist, and that a university would get blacklisted by a major email provider!

My university occasionally blacklists gmail, so maybe we have it coming?

Our student email is on a gmail back end, so that would be...disruptive.  Doesn't mean we don't have it coming, though. Good point.