News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

International News Events: Asked and Answered...

Started by mamselle, May 27, 2019, 09:21:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thursday's_Child

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on January 11, 2020, 10:37:57 AM
Quote from: Economizer on January 11, 2020, 10:22:01 AM
RE: Reply #73

Perhaps the complicated situation sparked by the intentions of the Prince and and his bride could be mitigated if only Canada would rejoin the Commonwealth of Nations.

...We're still part of the Commonwealth.

It's getting so much press b/c this is much safer and more fun to hash over (for the royal family supporters, at least) than the antics of Andrew.....

mamselle

And for the Royal Family as well, perhaps...

I do think the press isn't helping (surprise) by taking every nuance and honing in on it with vigor and vitriol.

They'll drive wedges to sell copy, and that's been their mode since the 1800s or before. Amory's study of fame and celebrity seems pertinent, too.

I just think Harry is wise for avoiding some of the issues tied to "brand Windsor," and I highly respect the two of them for taking steps to have a healthy family life from the start.

I also wonder if Desmond Tutu gave them support and advice while they were in Africa... he's a wise man in many ways (he preached at a church I attended in the 1980s and I was impressed with him then).

And the "suddenness" issue is apparently false, too. Discussions had been underway when it became clear a leak was imminent, and the only way to retain media control of the topic was to break the news first.

I've written for journalism, and I'm dismayed by the tabloids' bloodthirstiness.

It quashes rather than enhances their image.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Economizer

Re: reply #76:

I thought that during last spring the subject couple were discussing, in the press anyway, taking up residence in Africa (somewhere).  Now, if South Africa were to rejoin the ...
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

Economizer

In the news today, Khomeini harshly labeled President Trump.  Colbert, Kimmel, Fallon, and now Ayatollah Khomeini.  Next thing you know even the Brit, James Cordon, will be knocking him!
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

spork

It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

Economizer

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: spork on January 17, 2020, 07:24:52 AM
Khomeini is dead.

Quote from: Economizer on January 19, 2020, 11:07:57 AM

Then google news was incorrect?

Ayatollah Sayyid Musavi Ruholla Khomeini died in 1989. Since then, Iran's supreme leader has been Ayatollah Sayyid Ali Hosseini Khamenei.

Different dudes, similar surname.
I know it's a genus.

Economizer

So, the President of Afghanistan and our diplomats are confident enough that the Afghani leadership has enough control over Taliban militias to work out cease fire and peace accords?  That would be a truly great thing for all concerned, if so!

mamselle

Thinking of any and all affected by the Beirut explosion last week.

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-middle-east-53722909

I had meant to post about it earlier, but was awaiting a clearer sense of the causality narrative.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

mamselle

Belarus and Hong Kong may have few other things in common, but they are both rallying around initiatives/hopes/dreams/determination to steer clear of outside overrule.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/13/belarus-100000-join-rally-against-lukashenko-on-eve-of-putin-showdown

M.

mamselle

mamselle

Insights on yesterday's events in Myanmar vary, depending on your affiliations:

China has an investment in materiel, as well as the political process: They're in wait-and-see mode, it seems:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/after-myanmar-coup-china-muted-while-u-s-condemns-military-n1256455

The US and other Western nations have condemned the coup:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-55902070

Others?

M.

spork

I'm in touch with some people who have connections to the unfolding events in Afghanistan. Typical American overseas shitshow.

Good way to help: contact a local refugee resettlement organization and offer support. There already is an Afghan exile community in the U.S., and it's going to get substantially larger in the near term.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

mamselle

Thanks, agreed, good idea.

The local Red Cross and/or American Friends' Service Committee (Quaker) offices often know where those centers are in any given town.

Money, clothes, teaching and reading materials and basic first-aid stuff (Band-aids, gauze, elastic bandages, etc.) may be especially welcome.

Some faith communities' adjunct housing and adult day-care centers for elders may be pressed into service, too.

M.

mamselle

Update, question, a few hours later.

This article,

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/08/bidens-betrayal-of-afghans-will-live-in-infamy/619764/

Mentions a nonprofit,

Miles4Migrants

https://miles4migrants.org/

...by which one can donate travel miles for asylum-seekers.

Does anyone have any experience with them, or others like them?

M.