News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Preparing for Coronavirus?

Started by Cheerful, February 25, 2020, 09:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nightshade

My landlord has decided that they want to put the house we've lived in for many years up for sale now...right in the middle of the pandemic. The thought of realtors and people traipsing through the house when we are practicing social distancing, not to mention the fact that in our new reality, both my partner and I are working from home (with me teaching my formerly face-to-face courses online), is putting my anxiety through the roof. We live in a "hot" market, so no doubt we will have lots of showings. We've been through this before, but never during a health crisis of this magnitude. I really hope our mayor issues a shelter-in-place order soon, which might delay the process for a couple of weeks. Gosh, I hate renting.

apostrophe

Quote from: apl68 on March 24, 2020, 10:22:43 AM
Quote from: mamselle on March 24, 2020, 10:03:36 AM
Oh, dear. Ouch.

Sorry for my blind spot.

I hope you find a away through, perhaps by email, or something, of links for home schooling, etc?

M.

We're going to try to get the staff together for some virtual meetings to get the web site project moving forward. 

I'd love to try offering some virtual story times over social media and the like.  Unfortunately the staff member who does those sorts of things (and is quite good at it, when she wants to be) is really hard to get moving when it comes to trying something new.

I've still got all sorts of admin work to do--paying bills, answering e-mails, and getting statistics together for the annual statistical report, among other things.  Today I'm mostly trying to get past the shock of suddenly shutting down, after days of the craziness of trying to keep at least limited services going.

I know you're busy and not looking for advice, but I am just wondering if adding a few links to open access stories, books, whatever, on your current bad website might bring you good cheer?

apl68

Quote from: apostrophe on March 24, 2020, 12:27:01 PM
Quote from: apl68 on March 24, 2020, 10:22:43 AM
Quote from: mamselle on March 24, 2020, 10:03:36 AM
Oh, dear. Ouch.

Sorry for my blind spot.

I hope you find a away through, perhaps by email, or something, of links for home schooling, etc?

M.

We're going to try to get the staff together for some virtual meetings to get the web site project moving forward. 

I'd love to try offering some virtual story times over social media and the like.  Unfortunately the staff member who does those sorts of things (and is quite good at it, when she wants to be) is really hard to get moving when it comes to trying something new.

I've still got all sorts of admin work to do--paying bills, answering e-mails, and getting statistics together for the annual statistical report, among other things.  Today I'm mostly trying to get past the shock of suddenly shutting down, after days of the craziness of trying to keep at least limited services going.

I know you're busy and not looking for advice, but I am just wondering if adding a few links to open access stories, books, whatever, on your current bad website might bring you good cheer?

Well, we're already participants in the state's e-book consortium (Offering e-books was one area where we were a relatively early adopter).  So those patrons who already have e-book pins through us can continue using that source.  One of the things we'd wanted to put on the new web site was online forms for signing up for new library accounts.  At the moment we're trying to work by phone and e-mail.  I'm working on an e-mail application for a library account right now, as a matter of fact.

On a different note--over lunch I went to get groceries.  I was pleasantly surprised to see that the local store was well-stocked with all food stuffs except bread.  I didn't even have any trouble getting any of my vegetables or milk.  Still short on certain cleaning supplies, and absolutely no toilet paper to be seen.  The ongoing TP shortage baffles me.  Cleaning supplies I can understand--use of things like bleach and sanitary wipes has skyrocketed, on top of the panic stockpiling.  But why are the shelves still bare of toilet paper?  Has the Covid-19 emergency caused the media to overlook a nationwide dysentery epidemic?
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

mamselle

Quote...caused the media to overlook a nationwide dysentery epidemic?

Well done...<<chuckle!>>

In other news...

I just got a Tweet that Falwell is re-opening Liberty University.

Idiot.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

hmaria1609

mamselle

Quote from: Nightshade on March 24, 2020, 11:53:02 AM
My landlord has decided that they want to put the house we've lived in for many years up for sale now...right in the middle of the pandemic. The thought of realtors and people traipsing through the house when we are practicing social distancing, not to mention the fact that in our new reality, both my partner and I are working from home (with me teaching my formerly face-to-face courses online), is putting my anxiety through the roof. We live in a "hot" market, so no doubt we will have lots of showings. We've been through this before, but never during a health crisis of this magnitude. I really hope our mayor issues a shelter-in-place order soon, which might delay the process for a couple of weeks. Gosh, I hate renting.

That is a nightmare, Nightshade!

I wonder if an innocent call to the town assessor's office to ask about "...how to evaluate a house*....yours is being put up for sale and you wondered...and what about the realtors, and all...???"

You might also try any nearby Tenants' Unions, or just look up websites on tenancy and pandemic issues, to see what rights you may have.

M.

-=-=-=-
* You probably know that the assessors' offices all have webpages on each house in their jurisdiction, so if they don't take your meaning you could always just change the question to something about that...but I'm guessing theirs would be an office that would have thought through things like those you describe and might have something to say about the timing...(oops, was that my halo slipping over my eye?)

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Anselm

Quote from: Nightshade on March 24, 2020, 11:53:02 AM

When they do come to visit make sure you wear a surgical mask and act sick.   You can also put a sign on the door informing everyone that you are self quarantining.   There is not one law on the books that can punish you for playing make believe and guerrilla street theater.
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

clean

My county's first CV19 infection was confirmed Saturday.  Today the number is 10!!  The county administrator is making noises about a lock down.  At  530 today our dean sent a message that the provost is saying we should prepare to be locked off campus until ???  Once the order is given, we may have only 24 or 48 hours notice to get whatever we may need from campus.  After that, the buildings will be locked and the card readers deactivated!

I went in tonight an picked up what I think I will need.  No need to wait, I guess.  As faculty, I am already authorized to work remotely.  I prefer to run my webex meetings on campus though as the internet there is better and by the time my webmeetings start, most of the place is empty so I have been able to commandeer one of the medium size conference rooms with large tables, so I am able to spread out and have everything I need within reach... and no one needs to see what my house looks like in the background!  Not sure what I will do tomorrow.

i will vent about today's issues in another thread.... just leave it say that my car would not start.  I waited for over 2 hours for AAA to arrive, and when the truck arrived, the car started right up!!  Dammit!!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

mamselle

A friend is dealing with an unexpected hiatus in her research and writing because the library was locked up before she could get her books out, and now they will not let anyone in or out.

I'm not sure what she is going to do; I have a couple books in another library in similar straits but most of my materials are at home, so it's less of an issue for me.

M.

nebo113

Quote from: Anselm on March 24, 2020, 11:23:27 AM
My school has just "upped its game" and increased our restrictions.   All students must leave the dorms by Sunday evening but a few will remain behind who have nowhere else to go.   A few students were doing labs and ceramics but spaced far apart in the classrooms.  That is over with for now.  The strange thing is that official announcements suggest all is going back to normal as of April 13th.  My colleagues and I simply don't see that happening.   At this point my biggest concern is if we will have summer classes which begin after Memorial Day.

Obviously you are not at Jerry Falwell's Jesus Saves Liberty University.

nebo113

Quote from: mamselle on March 24, 2020, 04:53:33 PM
Quote...caused the media to overlook a nationwide dysentery epidemic?

Well done...<<chuckle!>>

In other news...

I just got a Tweet that Falwell is re-opening Liberty University.

Idiot.

M.

Perhaps his action will remove idiots from the gene pool....except it threatens the health and safety of Lynchburg, whose mayor is not happy.

apl68

It's amazing how busy you can stay at a library even when you're reduced to a caretaker operation.  I spent yesterday fielding calls and e-mails, looking for information on possible services we can still offer, pulling books out of the book drop and putting them into quarantine boxes, etc.  I didn't even get a start on the various jobs I was planning/needing to catch up on.  A very, very kind forumite has PM'd me some suggestions that I intend to look into when I have a chance.

Today I've got bills to pay, which means going downtown to the Mayor's office to have the checks co-signed.  A report to fill out that should have been done days ago, but was lost in the shuffle.  Staff members to get in touch with.  An exterminator coming for the routine monthly spraying (The bugs can't be trusted to practice social distancing!).  And I just received the library's mail from the mail carrier.  He's having an interesting time of it.  Some residents are cringing from his approach!

apl68

Quote from: nebo113 on March 25, 2020, 07:22:29 AM
Quote from: Anselm on March 24, 2020, 11:23:27 AM
My school has just "upped its game" and increased our restrictions.   All students must leave the dorms by Sunday evening but a few will remain behind who have nowhere else to go.   A few students were doing labs and ceramics but spaced far apart in the classrooms.  That is over with for now.  The strange thing is that official announcements suggest all is going back to normal as of April 13th.  My colleagues and I simply don't see that happening.   At this point my biggest concern is if we will have summer classes which begin after Memorial Day.

Obviously you are not at Jerry Falwell's Jesus Saves Liberty University.

This might be a good time for a reminder that the great majority of Christian schools and churches are practicing the recommendations on social distancing, cancelling large meetings, etc.  Most of us understand the relevance of Luke 4:9-12 at a time like this. 

The Falwells have always been disgraceful publicity hounds.  I hope this foolish decision doesn't result in too much harm.  If it does, I hope it finally causes people to see through this false teacher, and ends his influence on the evangelical Christian community.

mamselle

Amen.

I was very impressed with an online sermon emphasizing the social definitions of love as unselfish, more far-reaching thinking along the lines in Luke that you cite.

M.

apl68

I've gotten permission to ask other staff members--who have been furloughed on pay for now--to volunteer to come in part-time to cover that routine stuff, so that I can attend to my own tasks.  We've had a strong, willing response.  Also, the State Library has scheduled a Zoom session regarding children's services programming during the emergency, and our relevant staff member will be able to attend that from home.

It looks like we're groping our way toward a workable skeleton crew operation.  Meanwhile today I've done most of the tasks mentioned above.  We've also had calls from patrons asking whether they can do this or that (At least maybe a human voice telling them "no" will feel a little better), needing an e-book pin number, and getting books put on hold for when we can let them be checked out again.