News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Preparing for Coronavirus?

Started by Cheerful, February 25, 2020, 09:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theblackbox

Quote from: Cheerful on May 28, 2020, 01:57:14 PM
Thanks, apl68.  Resiliency is nice but doesn't solve all the problems.

Various universities now plan to start the fall semester early and/or end the semester by Thanksgiving.  As if this schedule change solves so many potential huge problems.  The chaotic "planning" underway at some U's is almost comical.

Anyone impressed with their U's admin at this point in the planning?
I'm part of the planning at mine, and I think there's a lot of really good discussion and innovative ideas that have been proposed... most of which are not going to happen because decision-making in a time of uncertainty means people are scared to lead with anything truly different. I do understand the hesitation and risk of charting a truly new path, but it is nonetheless frustrating. If I'm grading as others have here, I'd say C+/B- currently.

AmLitHist

We're supposed to have answers by June 19, at which time the schedule will be somewhat set.  The existing schedule, made up back in the winter as if everything were normal, has been open to students since mid-March.  Latest word is that all F2F sections with 0 enrolled will be TC'd (temporarily closed), those with enrollment will remain open.  Naturally, both of my F2F sections have minimal enrollment, so they'll stay open.  Goody (sarcasm).

We've also gone from unbounded optimism in the town hall meeting two weeks ago ("We're expecting good enrollment for fall" at our CC, and "it looks like we'll be spared in the state budget when we offset it with the federal money") to a notice from our union yesterday that another RIF seems possible or even likely before fall.  What's the saying?  "Well, that certainly turned bad quickly"?

I also heard the report this morning saying that a study shows 10% of diabetics studied went from being fine to dead from the virus within 7 days.  Excellent; guess whose diabetes control has gone all to hell during lockdown?  (That would be me.)

I've been doing a pretty good job of keeping a positive attitude throughout, but I'm about ready to throw in the towel today.  This is what happens when a control freak (me) has to deal with uncertainty for an extended period.  (The news out of Minneapolis isn't helping my mood here in Ferguson, either.)

mamselle

Does your diabetes at least put you in a category that allows you to opt out of F2F classroom contact?

Or am I forgetting--do you teach completely online as it is?

In any case....all good thoughts for the social situation, as well as the health worries.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

AmLitHist

Quote from: mamselle on May 29, 2020, 10:16:25 AM
Does your diabetes at least put you in a category that allows you to opt out of F2F classroom contact?

In any case....all good thoughts for the social situation, as well as the health worries.

M.

It had better; my doctor has already said, point blank, "You are NOT going back on campus this fall."  Unfortunately, our Admin and the union contract both demand "at least 3-6 credit hours of classroom teaching."  I'll have to go through the whole ADA accommodation process to try to get an exemption--not a guarantee that they'll grant it, in which case I'll file a grievance, etc.  But there's no indication that the College is going to willingly offer this option to anyone, even with proof of at-risk status, short of going the formal ADA route.  (And that worked SO well last time for me--I started the process in July and only got the accommodation in mid-October when my union head threatened to file suit in Federal court.)

It will all be fine.  Really.  I just keep telling myself that.  And it will--I just dread the process from here to there. Thanks for the sympathy. I know I'm not the only one dealing with these worries.  Good thoughts to others in the same/similar boat.

Caracal

Quote from: AmLitHist on May 29, 2020, 10:27:54 AM
Quote from: mamselle on May 29, 2020, 10:16:25 AM

M.

It had better; my doctor has already said, point blank, "You are NOT going back on campus this fall."  Unfortunately, our Admin and the union contract both demand "at least 3-6 credit hours of classroom teaching."  I'll have to go through the whole ADA accommodation process to try to get an exemption--not a guarantee that they'll grant it, in which case I'll file a grievance, etc.  But there's no indication that the College is going to willingly offer this option to anyone, even with proof of at-risk status, short of going the formal ADA route.  (And that worked SO well last time for me--I started the process in July and only got the accommodation in mid-October when my union head threatened to file suit in Federal court.)

It will all be fine.  Really.  I just keep telling myself that.  And it will--I just dread the process from here to there. Thanks for the sympathy. I know I'm not the only one dealing with these worries.  Good thoughts to others in the same/similar boat.

Ugh, that's mystifying to me, particularly at a CC. There are going to be plenty of students who either are medically vulnerable or who live with someone who is. Why not just let faculty opt for online teaching if they are at greater risk with the assumption that there's going to be a need for more online classes anyway? That's what my school is doing.

apl68

Quote from: theblackbox on May 29, 2020, 09:46:07 AM

Various universities now plan to start the fall semester early and/or end the semester by Thanksgiving.  As if this schedule change solves so many potential huge problems.  The chaotic "planning" underway at some U's is almost comical.

I'm part of the planning at mine, and I think there's a lot of really good discussion and innovative ideas that have been proposed... most of which are not going to happen because decision-making in a time of uncertainty means people are scared to lead with anything truly different. I do understand the hesitation and risk of charting a truly new path, but it is nonetheless frustrating. If I'm grading as others have here, I'd say C+/B- currently.

At times I've felt like pulling my hair out over simply trying to plan an alternative summer reading program for the Plague Year!  I ask relevant staff members to give me feedback on what we need to do. They're afraid to do so until I can give them info that I don't have yet.  Multiply that times a hundred or so, and you've got what college administrations have to deal with this year.  How can any of us decision makers possibly turn in "A" grade decisions in a situation like that?

I liken it to trying to untangle a snarled fishing tackle box.  You just have to start pulling at stuff to see what comes loose first, and start working out some actual organization when enough stuff comes loose to organize.  And try not to get your fingers hooked while you're at it.
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

Parasaurolophus

Shrug. They haven't done such a terrible job here so far, although there's no question that we haven't really been given the resources we need to properly convert to online instruction. Most of the real questions concern the coming fall and winter, and how they'll manage the projected declines in enrollment and courses which require some face-to-face component, or labs. There's plenty of time left for them to really drop the ball, but for now they've done well enough managing the crisis.

I know it's a genus.

the_geneticist

Nope.  I'd give mine a D.  Why not an F? - because it could be worse.
Chaotic planning?  I wish.  More like "Chaotic freaking out and forming committees/focus groups" to continue to chaos.
They are waffling about "needing to make decisions" but refusing to make any.  Decisions in Spring were all made last minute, poorly communicated, and full of contradictions.  Classes are listed as having physical meetings spaces for Fall even though the state hasn't permitted higher ed to re-open.  They are asking department chairs to draft detailed reports of how each and every class will be following the state guidelines while in the physical classrooms.  And the recommendation from the faculty senate is that we cannot require anyone (faculty or student) to attend classes in person.  All classes have to have a "remote option".

Cheerful

There's an op-ed in the Chronicle of Higher Ed titled "Colleges Aren't Reopening in the Fall: Don't be misled by presidents who say otherwise." By Robert Kelchen, assoc prof in higher ed, Seton Hall.  May 18.

He says:  "Most high-school seniors considering college strongly prefer classes in person, so colleges that make early announcements that the fall semester will be online run the risk of losing students to competitors."

Reflecting on the March move to online, he predicts:  "A similar game of follow-the-leader" will likely occur in late June/early July when presidents of a few prestigious colleges write op-eds in national papers announcing decisions to be fully online in September for public health reasons.

"...announcements by elite colleges will provide others with the political cover they need to make the necessary choice."

There's more.  A worthy read.

bio-nonymous

Quote from: Cheerful on May 29, 2020, 11:52:57 AM
There's an op-ed in the Chronicle of Higher Ed titled "Colleges Aren't Reopening in the Fall: Don't be misled by presidents who say otherwise." By Robert Kelchen, assoc prof in higher ed, Seton Hall.  May 18.

He says:  "Most high-school seniors considering college strongly prefer classes in person, so colleges that make early announcements that the fall semester will be online run the risk of losing students to competitors."

Reflecting on the March move to online, he predicts:  "A similar game of follow-the-leader" will likely occur in late June/early July when presidents of a few prestigious colleges write op-eds in national papers announcing decisions to be fully online in September for public health reasons.

"...announcements by elite colleges will provide others with the political cover they need to make the necessary choice."

Thanks Cheerful, that's how I see it as well. They are likely saying, "We will open as normal for fall" to ensure enrollments and then many will likely shift the goalpost as the opening comes nearer. We have already gotten the word we are starting 2 weeks early and finishing the semester before Thanksgiving--plus the semester will be split into two 8 week units (just in case).

Caracal

Quote from: Cheerful on May 29, 2020, 11:52:57 AM

I think of this kind of thing as naive cynicism. The truth is that nobody really knows what things will look like in the country in September, much less in any particular place. Could his scenario happen? Sure, but I don't have any great confidence in it or anything else. As a general rule right now, I think it is a good idea to distrust anybody who seems very sure about what is going to happen.

OneMoreYear

I give mine a current grade of NA for No record that the administration has attended or participated in planning effort. No decisions have been made or, if they have been made, no one is communicating them to us. I can only assume by other items of news that have been sent praising our facilities staff (who do indeed need to be praised and given a raise) that the intent is that we are back in person in some manner in the fall, but who knows?

evil_physics_witchcraft

I heard today that admins are looking into a hybrid plan. All lectures and labs will be half online and half ftf. There is even talk of the College purchasing gloves and masks for students to wear. I hope they include faculty.

hmaria1609

spork

The retirement home where my 86-year old mother lives has been locked down for about two months now. No Covid-19 cases among residents or staff, unlike other retirement homes in the area. I am wondering whether it will be safe for me to visit once visitors are allowed. I don't want to be an asymptomatic carrier.

My university might have approved my request to limit my presence on campus in the fall semester to one day a week. This will mean my undergraduate courses will have a hybrid design that will at minimum reduce by 50% the number of students I'm exposed to each week. I know there are some other faculty members who are requesting a fully online teaching schedule because of age and/or underlying health conditions. I suspect university administrators are for now amenable to some faculty reducing their on-campus teaching because of the expected social distancing-induced shortage of classroom space.

Regardless of official pronouncements now about what will happen in the fall, I'm designing my courses as 100% online. I don't see campus remaining open for the entire semester if the university sticks to its usual academic calender/class schedule.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.