News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Preparing for Coronavirus?

Started by Cheerful, February 25, 2020, 09:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nebo113

Quote from: clean on June 20, 2020, 09:25:08 AM
QuoteIn addition, we have a certain staff member who...well, let's just say she likes to ride a cowboy.

If she rides a cowboy while wearing a mask (and 'glove') would that be ok?

Perhaps with a riding crop?

Economizer

Quote from: clean on June 20, 2020, 09:25:08 AM
QuoteIn addition, we have a certain staff member who...well, let's just say she likes to ride a cowboy.

If she rides a cowboy while wearing a mask (and 'glove') would that be ok?
That person would not be called Professor Tawdry, would she? If so, be advised that the girl  can't help it.

But seriously folks, I am seeing that food, cleaning supplies, etc.are reaching stores in good fashion. The plans are well in place for battling or at least staving off Coved 19 effects. The Lord only knows how many organizations and individuals worldwide are working on treatment and cure. What I do see  now is a reluctance on the part of many to continue what are generally agreed upon behaviors as we open economies. The President, politics aside, from my armchair view is very frustrated by this. So we all have to buckle down and do it, DAMN IT. If we don't do that now there is absolutely no guarantee that conditions brought on by the virus won't get much, much, worse!

So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

hmaria1609

On June 28th, Metro will reopen 18 rail stations that had closed because of low ridership:
https://wtop.com/coronavirus/2020/06/metro-coronavirus-update-june-22/
Masks are still required on the Metro system.

Virginia moves to Phase 3 on July 1st:
https://wtop.com/coronavirus/2020/06/virginia-coronavirus-phase-three-update/
Northern VA and Richmond are included in the plan.

PhilRunner

My mid-sized university is opening in the fall, and we've discovered that they have no testing plan for students, faculty, or staff. None what so ever.

nebo113

Quote from: PhilRunner on June 24, 2020, 03:33:44 AM
My mid-sized university is opening in the fall, and we've discovered that they have no testing plan for students, faculty, or staff. None what so ever.

WTF

downer

No place I teach at has mentioned any testing plans either. How many places have the resources to do that? Not many.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

marshwiggle

Quote from: downer on June 24, 2020, 05:40:32 AM
No place I teach at has mentioned any testing plans either. How many places have the resources to do that? Not many.

Given that the places eager to get everyone on campus are doing it because they can't afford the loss of revenue, it's not a big surpise that they don't plan to spend significant money on testing, etc.
It takes so little to be above average.

Puget

We will be testing everyone several times a month (we've been assured this are anterior nasal swabs only, because no one wants the posterior ones a second time)-- for research universities with labs that do PCR, it is apparently possible to get FDA permission to do the testing in-house, which slashes the price considerably.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

apl68

One of our staff tried to go in for an eye appointment before work.  They scanned her forehead and told her that she was running a temperature and could not come inside.  She insists that it's because she had to drive there in a vehicle with no air conditioning.  But she's going to go ahead and stay home, and monitor herself for symptoms.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

Economizer

To continue my thoughts, perhaps folks should not look too harshly on people not wearing masks inside stores and other "tight spaces"? Masks cost money and, due to the COVED CRUNCH, a lot of people are hard pressed to allot even tens of dollars for exposure protections for their families, and themselves. By the way, how much are masks going for in your neighborhood? Coronavirus 19 testing ?
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

clean

Quoteo continue my thoughts, perhaps folks should not look too harshly on people not wearing masks inside stores and other "tight spaces"?

scarfs, bandannas, home made by folding a wash cloth and a rubber band (as demonstrated by the Surgeon General)... 

No, it is NOT a money issue
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Cheerful

Quote from: Puget on June 24, 2020, 06:25:23 AM

We will be testing everyone several times a month (we've been assured this are anterior nasal swabs only, because no one wants the posterior ones a second time)-- for research universities with labs that do PCR, it is apparently possible to get FDA permission to do the testing in-house, which slashes the price considerably.

Get tested today.  Go to grocery store or travel the next day, contract virus.  Asymptomatic.  Return to campus.  Not tested again for a week.  Then what? 

downer

Quote from: Cheerful on June 24, 2020, 09:30:10 AM

Get tested today.  Go to grocery store or travel the next day, contract virus.  Asymptomatic.  Return to campus.  Not tested again for a week.  Then what?

It's all about lowering the probabilities of passing on the virus, which testing should do.

If it was making it impossible to pass on the virus, they would tell you to stay home.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Puget

Quote from: downer on June 24, 2020, 09:37:24 AM
Quote from: Cheerful on June 24, 2020, 09:30:10 AM

It's all about lowering the probabilities of passing on the virus, which testing should do.

If it was making it impossible to pass on the virus, they would tell you to stay home.

Correct-- there is no perfect solution, it as all about reducing transmission risk, and testing is just one piece of that along with reducing density and keeping larger classes online, social distancing, masks, frequent hand washing, frequent cleaning of surfaces, and daily self-reporting of symptoms. Faculty can also request to teach entirely online if they are higher risk or have higher risk family members. All in all, I think they are being fairly prudent about how we do this.

Our students are very conscientious about taking care of the community in general-- I trust them more than a lot of "adults" who seem to think they have a right to put other people at risk. I recognize that not every student population is like that.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

spork

Quote from: marshwiggle on June 24, 2020, 06:02:45 AM

Given that the places eager to get everyone on campus are doing it because they can't afford the loss of revenue, it's not a big surpise that they don't plan to spend significant money on testing, etc.

The governor's office here required that all universities in the state include testing regimens in the re-opening plans they had to submit. I think those plans are being reviewed now and the governor is expected to give a thumbs up or thumbs down sometime in July. 
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.