News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Preparing for Coronavirus?

Started by Cheerful, February 25, 2020, 09:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harlow2

We are required to sign a pledge to access any university sites, even if we are off campus.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Harlow2 on August 07, 2020, 07:13:07 AM
We are required to sign a pledge to access any university sites, even if we are off campus.

What, that you're wearing a mask while you type? I hadn't heard about electronic transmission of virus-laden droplets.

Maybe we need IP addess distancing as well, so people can't use adjacent IP addresses.
It takes so little to be above average.

the_geneticist

Quote from: mamselle on August 06, 2020, 08:01:07 PM
Quote from: the_geneticist on August 06, 2020, 03:45:19 PM
We aren't being asked to sign a pledge yet, but we were just notified that we are REQUIRED to wear a mask at all times while indoors, even if we are alone in the room.  If we are outdoors, we just have to have a mask and be ready to put it on if someone comes within 6 feet.
We also have to fill out a questionnaire before going to campus to verify that we are symptom-free to be sent to our supervisor.

"Symptom-free" is subjective and doesn't prove anything, or make anyone else any safer in the moment.

M.

Yep, especially since we now know that most infected folks have a period of time where they are actively shedding the virus even before they show any obvious symptoms.  It's not like chicken pox where you are shedding the virus after you break out in spots.

clean

Word from the provost level:  We will NOT let a class go online IF a student in a class is positive.  The word continues, that faculty will NOT quarentine for 14 days IF a student is in class and turns up positive.

Frankly, I am concerned. 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

the_geneticist

Quote from: clean on August 07, 2020, 02:08:59 PM
Word from the provost level:  We will NOT let a class go online IF a student in a class is positive.  The word continues, that faculty will NOT quarentine for 14 days IF a student is in class and turns up positive.

Frankly, I am concerned.

How strong is your union?  I think it's time to play hardball.

clean

QuoteHow strong is your union?  I think it's time to play hardball.

HAHAHAHAHA

This aint one of those states that cotton to such things!

evil_physics_witchcraft

Frankly, I am concerned.

This is very concerning. We are not allowed to tell students if someone tests positive.

Vkw10

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on August 07, 2020, 06:20:34 PM

Frankly, I am concerned.

This is very concerning. We are not allowed to tell students if someone tests positive.

We were told that we are required to report if an employee, including student worker, tests positive. In same meeting, a different speaker told us that we are not allowed to report if a student has tested positive, but we should encourage student to self-report. I'm confused.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

Economizer

OK, I am a high school sub and, agewise at least, I'm in the "vulnerable" grouping of Covid 19 suceptability. Most days I am not sure of for what I really signed up. Also, I may have an additional class or combination class assigned to me during my "planning" period. Classes I have can go from being remarkable to rowdy. So, I shall have to eschew making money doing this until the facts are in as to whether or not I am risking my life to make a few measley, but important to me budgetwise, BUCKS!

Unemployment insurance? It looks to me as though my  niche will be stuck in a glitch. NOW AIN'T THAT A BITCH!

Meant to post this in the K-12 fall plans thread. Can y'all .move me to there?
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

spork

My 3M N95 mask is getting a bit ragged. Can't find new ones in the stores. Also my mother is in need of a good-quality, reusable mask. Can anyone recommend a washable mask that has elasticized bands that go behind the head, with either a built-in filter that is also washable or a removable filter? My mom wears glasses and hearing aids and masks with ear loops are not useful. The head bands need to be stretchy; I doubt she is dextrous enough to tie cloth strings behind her head.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

Vkw10

Quote from: spork on August 23, 2020, 03:16:57 PM
My 3M N95 mask is getting a bit ragged. Can't find new ones in the stores. Also my mother is in need of a good-quality, reusable mask. Can anyone recommend a washable mask that has elasticized bands that go behind the head, with either a built-in filter that is also washable or a removable filter? My mom wears glasses and hearing aids and masks with ear loops are not useful. The head bands need to be stretchy; I doubt she is dextrous enough to tie cloth strings behind her head.

Try a Kitsbow mask, https://www.kitsbow.com/collections/personal-protective-equipment/products/w-n-face-mask-reusable?variant=32213387804707. They come with three filters, which were tricky to put in until I turned the mask inside out to replace filter. The masks come in several sizes.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

clean

Today, IF students had not successfully completed the CV19 'quiz' they were blocked from blackboard (even the 100% online students in our distance learning programs!)
It is bad enough that the students were blocked, but the university (temporarily) REMOVED them from the shells! I am not able to grade assignments that were submitted yesterday as they(25% of the students) have disappeared from MY side of the shell too!!

Idiots!  Block entry to the students, but WHY prevent faculty from doing their work??

Hopefully, there is a way to fix this IF they need to deal with CV19 in Spring!

the_geneticist

Quote from: clean on August 24, 2020, 12:22:05 PM
Today, IF students had not successfully completed the CV19 'quiz' they were blocked from blackboard (even the 100% online students in our distance learning programs!)
It is bad enough that the students were blocked, but the university (temporarily) REMOVED them from the shells! I am not able to grade assignments that were submitted yesterday as they(25% of the students) have disappeared from MY side of the shell too!!

Idiots!  Block entry to the students, but WHY prevent faculty from doing their work??

Hopefully, there is a way to fix this IF they need to deal with CV19 in Spring!

Wow, that's just a mess.
How many days until your university does a "pivot" to entirely online? 
I am quite certain that we will be online until a vaccine is widely available.  My university is in a hotspot.

spork

Quote from: Vkw10 on August 23, 2020, 04:16:14 PM

Try a Kitsbow mask, https://www.kitsbow.com/collections/personal-protective-equipment/products/w-n-face-mask-reusable?variant=32213387804707. They come with three filters, which were tricky to put in until I turned the mask inside out to replace filter. The masks come in several sizes.

Reviews of these masks suggest that there is no way my 87-year old mother would be able to insert or remove the filter on these masks.

Elastic band on my 3M N95 mask broke while I was standing in line waiting for a Covid-19 test.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

Penna

Can anyone recommend a washable mask that has elasticized bands that go behind the head, with either a built-in filter that is also washable or a removable filter? My mom wears glasses and hearing aids and masks with ear loops are not useful. The head bands need to be stretchy; I doubt she is dextrous enough to tie cloth strings behind her head.

I don't know if this would be helpful or not (depending on the extent of her manual dexterity), but I found one site that sells elastic "extender" bands that you can attach to ear loops.  The bands also help to "customize" a mask that may be a little too large, allowing for a snug fit:

https://www.keffalasdesigns.com/collections/accessories-add-ons/products/elastic-mask-clip-

They do require enough dexterity to flip each end up so that you can insert the ear loops, but I've found them quite comfortable to wear.