News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Fat People Thread

Started by Morris Zapp, March 18, 2021, 05:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harlow2

You are all inspirational. Plus one on the gum; I should have invested in Trident

polly_mer

Quote from: sprout on March 24, 2021, 09:52:58 AM
Quote from: Vkw10 on March 23, 2021, 08:09:32 PM
Anyone have strategies for tiny changes?

One thing that has been helping me curb snacking a bit is chewing gum.  I checked it out with my dentist, even, and she said to look for sugar-free with xylitol - Orbit, for one example.  I know I tend to eat for a lot of reasons that have nothing to do with hunger, but somehow having something in my mouth helps block that let's-just-go-browse-the-kitchen restlessness.

Go easy on the xylitol because it's a laxative and can cause diarrhea in large amounts.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

clean

QuoteGo easy on the xylitol because it's a laxative and can cause diarrhea in large amounts.

Wont that help with weight loss?
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

polly_mer

Quote from: clean on March 24, 2021, 06:48:16 PM
QuoteGo easy on the xylitol because it's a laxative and can cause diarrhea in large amounts.

Yep, but it could be a wild ride if one doesn't know that's going to happen and does a lot of live teaching.

sprout

Quote from: polly_mer on March 24, 2021, 07:12:23 PM
Quote from: clean on March 24, 2021, 06:48:16 PM

Yep, but it could be a wild ride if one doesn't know that's going to happen and does a lot of live teaching.
Oh, my digestive tract is messed up enough I probably wouldn't even notice a difference.  Is there a 'Do I have IBS' thread somewhere?

sprout

Aw, man. Did I kill the thread? I didn't mean to. 

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: sprout on March 26, 2021, 09:33:19 AM

Nah.

I've found that eating 5 mini meals helps me. I lost over 15% of my body mass since last November. When I'm feeling up to it, I plan to build up my walking routine again.

polly_mer

Quote from: sprout on March 26, 2021, 09:33:19 AM

I just don't have personal stories that would help others.  I'm losing muscle mass as a result of being prevented from my normal activities.  I'm so sick of my normal treats that I've cut way back, even with the spouse who keeps the snack shelf stocked.

I've lost noticeable weight and size, but most of it is undesirable because it's healthy muscle mass, not fat.

Vkw10

My weight is the same, but my fitness level is slightly better. I walked the 3/4 mile track around my apartment complex twice in one minute less than two weeks ago, without my Fitbit registering minutes in "the zone" so my heart rate wasn't elevated much. Also, my favorite slacks are no longer uncomfortably snug, just snugger than I like.

Time to pick up my walking pace a bit, go three laps, or walk twice a day. And my echo dot is about to play Peppermint Twist, so time to get up and move.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

Harlow2

I'm losing muscle mass as a result of being prevented from my normal activities.  I'm so sick of my normal treats that I've cut way back, even with the spouse who keeps the snack shelf stocked.

I've lost noticeable weight and size, but most of it is undesirable because it's healthy muscle mass, not fat.
[/quote]

Polly , sorry to hear that.  I hope there's a way to reconnect to activities—normal or new—before long.

polly_mer

Quote from: Harlow2 on March 28, 2021, 07:55:49 PM
I'm losing muscle mass as a result of being prevented from my normal activities.  I'm so sick of my normal treats that I've cut way back, even with the spouse who keeps the snack shelf stocked.

Polly , sorry to hear that.  I hope there's a way to reconnect to activities—normal or new—before long.

I have started dragging out the exercise bike every day because the muscle mass loss has reached the worrying stage.  I'm not all that fond of the bike, but it is low impact and feasible.

I am waiting eagerly for campus to open back to the point where meetings are again a thing, so walking to meetings in several meeting with my stuff is several miles per day, just not all at one time.

Anselm

I'm not fat.  I am big boned.

I actually lost weight last year with the lockdowns despite having no gym.  I just did lots of walking and made a deliberate effort to have smaller meals.  Then I lived with my parent while working remotely and then gained it all back.  It is probably helping me that our cafeteria has a severely reduced selection due to the low enrollment this year.   I find that one benefit of weight training is that even with no weight loss people will notice that you look less fat.
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

Charlotte

Quote from: polly_mer on March 28, 2021, 08:11:12 PM
I have started dragging out the exercise bike every day because the muscle mass loss has reached the worrying stage.  I'm not all that fond of the bike, but it is low impact and feasible.

I am waiting eagerly for campus to open back to the point where meetings are again a thing, so walking to meetings in several meeting with my stuff is several miles per day, just not all at one time.

Do you have a good place to write a bike outside? That's so much more fun! I just purchased an electric bike and it's better than I could have imagined. You can get as much exercise as you want by leaving pedal assist off or very low but you don't have to worry about going too far to get back easily or climbing big hills.

polly_mer

Quote from: Charlotte on March 29, 2021, 04:12:04 AM
Quote from: polly_mer on March 28, 2021, 08:11:12 PM

Do you have a good place to write a bike outside? That's so much more fun! I just purchased an electric bike and it's better than I could have imagined. You can get as much exercise as you want by leaving pedal assist off or very low but you don't have to worry about going too far to get back easily or climbing big hills.

I live in a mountainous region at altitude; there is no such thing as a casual bike ride here.  I also hate bike riding and have not been on an outdoor bicycle since I was a child and gave it up as being unpleasant.

Riding a bike is not fun, but it is tolerable to pedal while watching TV.

Faith786

Quote from: Anselm on March 28, 2021, 09:18:53 PM
I'm not fat.  I am big boned.

I actually lost weight last year with the lockdowns despite having no gym.  I just did lots of walking and made a deliberate effort to have smaller meals.  Then I lived with my parent while working remotely and then gained it all back.  It is probably helping me that our cafeteria has a severely reduced selection due to the low enrollment this year.   I find that one benefit of weight training is that even with no weight loss people will notice that you look less fat.

I'm technically not fat, either. Even during my skinny days, I had a very nice 'thin' hourglass (not apple, not pear) but now I seem to be getting 'thicker' and I personally don't like it. Today I did 12,000 steps.
I need this grant approved...