News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The TV Series Thread (Fall/Winter 2023)

Started by hmaria1609, October 29, 2023, 07:58:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hmaria1609

I thought I'd start a new thread for TV series with the change of seasons.

What shows are you watching or re-watching at the moment?

For me: anime adaptation of Emma: A Victorian Romance by Karol Mori on YouTube.
The manga print series was a best seller in Japan and is available in English translation. (I read and own the omnibus editions of the full series in 5 volumes)

In 2021, "Emma: A Victorian Romance" was re-released on Blu-ray with an authentic British English dub. I'm grateful to find the complete series available online!

ciao_yall

Right now on Netflix:

Glow: About a group of 80's era women wrestlers.
Valeria: A Spanish-language version of Sex And The City to work on my language skills. I watch it once with English subtitles, then a second time with Spanish subtitles.

Sun_Worshiper

I watched Fall of the House of Usher on Netflix over the last couple of weeks. It is a modern gothic horror (limited) series loosely based on various Edgar Allen Poe stories. It took a few episodes to get into it, but from there it is pretty good. It is probably not for everyone, but I would recommend it if you can handle the gore.

B+

Larimar

Currently rewatching Warehouse 13. It's a sci-fi series from about 10 years ago in which objects can become infused with the emotions or experiences of the original owner, and then thereafter they give whoever uses them some kind of magic ability. This is almost always dangerous and bad news in some way, so Warehouse 13 was established in nowhere, South Dakota to keep these artifacts out of circulation. Two of the main characters were recruited from the Secret Service to become Warehouse agents, and travel all over to find these dangerous objects (called artifacts) and bring them to the Warehouse to store them safely. It's a fun, interesting, intelligent show, and so far it's holding up over time.

ab_grp

We have been watching Designing Women for our comedy and alternating seasons between Prison Break, Damages, and His Dark Materials for our main event.  I think I have seen all of DW and PB and the first few seasons of Damages, but we had only read HDM and seen a few episodes while on a trip. 

Before these, we watched The Last of Us, Lost, and I forget what else right now.

In addition to what we have viewed recently, we also liked Warehouse 13, which I think we found out about here on the fora.

jimbogumbo

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on October 30, 2023, 08:13:26 AMI watched Fall of the House of Usher on Netflix over the last couple of weeks. It is a modern gothic horror (limited) series loosely based on various Edgar Allen Poe stories. It took a few episodes to get into it, but from there it is pretty good. It is probably not for everyone, but I would recommend it if you can handle the gore.

B+

And I would recommend the three others by this group: Midnight Mass, The Haunting of Hill House and The Haunting of Bly Manor. All creepy, and the reimaginings are interesting.

RatGuy

I've started rewatching "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip." It's criminal that we only got one season.

ab_grp

We are still on the same TV series that I mentioned upthread but have seen a couple others here and there.  I've been watching The Mindy Project and am really enjoying it.  I don't know why I avoided it for so long, but the cast works well together, and it's pretty funny at times.  We watched Daisy Jones and the Six a couple weeks ago, and it's just 10 episodes but very entertaining.  I thought it was well done, though it didn't quite capture some of the character development of the book (hard to do in so few episodes), and some choices were made in adapting it that I didn't particularly agree with.  Still, it was very good, and I found the band to be believable.  It's surprising that some of them had never played instruments before (and that the actress who plays Daisy had never really done any singing before).  Finally, we just started watching The Expanse yesterday.  We're only on episode 2 since we're just watching here and there as we get time while we have a guest here.

Sun_Worshiper

I've been watching the first season of Friday Night Lights on Netflix. In some ways it is pretty generic network TV: the high schoolers are mostly played by models in their mid-20s and you see every twist and turn coming from a mile away. But it is very well shot, the cast is great (several of the actors went on to have impressive careers), and it tugs at the heartstrings without being melodramatic. Overall, I have enjoyed it, but I'm not sure I'll stick with it beyond season one.

B+

ab_grp

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on December 21, 2023, 02:55:35 PMI've been watching the first season of Friday Night Lights on Netflix. In some ways it is pretty generic network TV: the high schoolers are mostly played by models in their mid-20s and you see every twist and turn coming from a mile away. But it is very well shot, the cast is great (several of the actors went on to have impressive careers), and it tugs at the heartstrings without being melodramatic. Overall, I have enjoyed it, but I'm not sure I'll stick with it beyond season one.

B+

I've seen this series twice now and loved it both times.  There are some storylines that are better and others that are not as good (and there are some that seemingly disappear after some big buildup!), but I think they do a good job of portraying complex relationship dynamics and dealing with some tough backgrounds and experiences.  Totally agree about the cast! There are also definitely some fan favorites and whatever the opposite of that is.  I got my husband to watch it with me the last time, and he also really thought it was well done.  If you do end up watching more, please report back with your thoughts!

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: ab_grp on December 21, 2023, 03:39:16 PM
Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on December 21, 2023, 02:55:35 PMI've been watching the first season of Friday Night Lights on Netflix. In some ways it is pretty generic network TV: the high schoolers are mostly played by models in their mid-20s and you see every twist and turn coming from a mile away. But it is very well shot, the cast is great (several of the actors went on to have impressive careers), and it tugs at the heartstrings without being melodramatic. Overall, I have enjoyed it, but I'm not sure I'll stick with it beyond season one.

B+

I've seen this series twice now and loved it both times.  There are some storylines that are better and others that are not as good (and there are some that seemingly disappear after some big buildup!), but I think they do a good job of portraying complex relationship dynamics and dealing with some tough backgrounds and experiences.  Totally agree about the cast! There are also definitely some fan favorites and whatever the opposite of that is.  I got my husband to watch it with me the last time, and he also really thought it was well done.  If you do end up watching more, please report back with your thoughts!

I'll stick with it then

ab_grp

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on December 21, 2023, 09:05:09 PM

B+

I'll stick with it then

I mentioned this to my husband, and he stressed that you shouldn't get swayed by anything stupid that happens in season 2.  That season was also shortened by a few episodes because of a writers' strike.  Going back through season recaps, I was surprised at how much happens in each season and how mistaken I was about when certain things unfold.  It makes me want to watch it again! We might watch the movie, though I can't really picture Billy Bob Thornton in the role of Coach Taylor.  I guess the book and movie are both focused more on the football and politics than the kids, but the kids (well, "kids") are so integral to the show!

Wahoo Redux

Barry with Bill Hader, Henry Winkler, Stephen Root, Anthony Carrigan, and Sarah Goldberg as principals. 

It is one crazy limited edition series.  Wife and I were crazy and crazed by it.  Highly recommend. 
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: ab_grp on December 22, 2023, 02:11:12 PM
Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on December 21, 2023, 09:05:09 PM

B+

I'll stick with it then

I mentioned this to my husband, and he stressed that you shouldn't get swayed by anything stupid that happens in season 2.  That season was also shortened by a few episodes because of a writers' strike.  Going back through season recaps, I was surprised at how much happens in each season and how mistaken I was about when certain things unfold.  It makes me want to watch it again! We might watch the movie, though I can't really picture Billy Bob Thornton in the role of Coach Taylor.  I guess the book and movie are both focused more on the football and politics than the kids, but the kids (well, "kids") are so integral to the show!

Ok no worries - I did read that there are some silly plot points in season 2, but I won't let it turn me off from the rest of the series.