News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Gardeners: how's it looking?

Started by polly_mer, June 12, 2019, 06:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

Well, we're supposed to go down to 22 deg. F tonight and most blueberries have bloomed, or are in bloom. SO and I went outside to cover what we could with sheets and came back inside to elder evil cat humping his stuffed crab on the couch.

SMDH.

Parasaurolophus

I suppose I should get planting soon...
I know it's a genus.

Puget

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on March 12, 2022, 09:29:29 PM
I suppose I should get planting soon...

I recently made a spreadsheet with when to start what, working backward from our average frost free date. I need to plant tomatoes and pepper seeds this week (zone 6b). I use an enclosed porch that has windows on two sides as a greenhouse.  I just got a plant light in a stand and a seed starting heat mat, which may actually let me germinate pepper seeds this year. If not, I'll just buy seedlings from the local plant sale like usual, but it will be a fun experiment in the meantime.

I'm also adding some additional raised beds, including two raised planters to screen the patio from the driveway which turned out to take a lot of assembly, but look really nice. Adding an archway between them next. I think the theme of those planters is going to be edible landscape-- so scarlet runner beans on the arch, lavender, chives, purple basil, nasturtiums, etc. in the rest.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

clean

I'm also adding some additional raised beds, including two raised planters to screen the patio from the driveway which turned out to take a lot of assembly, but look really nice. Adding an archway between them next. I t

Do you have any links?

I m considering adding some raised beds in the back yard, and I may install one in the front. The bride seems to have an interest in a flower box in the front of the house.

(I, on the other hand, think that you should enjoy the Fruits of your labor by eating it, and not the Flowers of your labor, which is really best for looking at). 

In a sign of the current times, I am considering taking a section of the side yard and planting giant sunflower seeds.  (sunflowers are the national flower of Ukraine)

2 years ago I had a nice wild plot of primrose in the back yard, but I mowed 2 days ago, and there was no sign of them (Or I would not have mowed there!)

My neighbors didnt treat their yard, so the grubs ate all the grass on that side... We HAD a really nice yard there, but now the grass is gone and the gross weeds that took over are a pain to deal with, and I prefer to ignore it!!  If I plant sunflowers, I will feel better about ignoring it!   Though that section of hte yard is well shaded and I doubt that it would be a good place to really do a 'garden' even of sunflowers.  But Im willing to try it!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Puget

Quote from: clean on March 13, 2022, 03:08:07 PM
I'm also adding some additional raised beds, including two raised planters to screen the patio from the driveway which turned out to take a lot of assembly, but look really nice. Adding an archway between them next. I t

Do you have any links?

I get them from Gardener's Supply Company. Not the cheapest, but good products and company. There are many, many options. These are the raised planters I got: https://www.gardeners.com/buy/cedar-raised-planting-box/8610919.html
I also have a number of low ones that are much simpler--just boards that slot into metal corners-- for my veggies. For this use I wanted something higher and more decorative though, so I splurged.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."

clean

Spring is 2 days away.  The weather is wonderful!  spring Break is upon us!

Lowes was PACKED.  I had to park at the outskirts.  When I went to the garden center, there were 3 registers open. All had at least 10 customer groups waiting to be checked out and many more were still shopping!

My goal was to get either sod or seed for some grass to replace the grass that was eaten by the grubs last year.  They did not have sod.  I asked, but was told that sod comes on Tuesday, but to come early as it goes fast!  For seed, they have plenty, but not the variety I want.  I dont want use some 'contractor's mix' or bahaia grass.  I prefer st augustine or some similar variety. 

Later today I will work on a plot in the back yard to get rid of the weed that I have not been able to get rid of, so I will bury it under a raised garden (with a weed barrier mesh underneath!  )

I hope to get some starter plants as it is too late for seeds for a big tomato, cherry tomatoes, an eggplant or 2, and some summer squash.  I will also plant some okra seeds for when it gets warmer. 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

downer

I cut back my butterfly bush today. I should be putting some seeds into pots to get them ready I guess. Maybe tomorrow.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Harlow2

evil_physics_witchcraft

I'm a little behind starting seeds... My plan is to start (indoors!) several varieties of tomato, pepper (hot and sweet) and flowers (marigold, zinnia, etc.) for the Garden today.

downer

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on March 21, 2022, 09:14:22 AM
I'm a little behind starting seeds... My plan is to start (indoors!) several varieties of tomato, pepper (hot and sweet) and flowers (marigold, zinnia, etc.) for the Garden today.

Good luck. That's inspirational for me!
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: downer on March 21, 2022, 10:55:20 AM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on March 21, 2022, 09:14:22 AM

Good luck. That's inspirational for me!

Unfortunately, I didn't start any today. Maybe tomorrow. I did work on clearing out my backyard. It is FULL of English ivy. I'm pulling ALL of it out by the roots, albeit, very slowly.

mamselle

Hmm....sorry to hear that.

I always liked the dark green, veined English Ivy leaves...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: mamselle on March 21, 2022, 04:47:03 PM

M.

It's therapeutic for me. Yep, it looked nice, but that stuff really takes over the yard. Plus, it climbs trees and can kill them over time.

AmLitHist

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on March 21, 2022, 06:33:37 PM
Quote from: mamselle on March 21, 2022, 04:47:03 PM

M.

It's therapeutic for me. Yep, it looked nice, but that stuff really takes over the yard. Plus, it climbs trees and can kill them over time.

It can also play hell with your house if planted close enough to crawl up--under the siding, into the mortar between bricks, etc.

Puget

Got two cubic yards of aged compost delivered, for some new raised beds and perking up the existing beds. There is going to be a lot of wheelbarrowing and shoveling this weekend. Grateful that I now have a hot tub for the muscles afterward.