News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Herd your cats here

Started by eigen, May 17, 2019, 02:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larimar

Quote from: clean on April 22, 2021, 11:17:47 AM
QuoteI very much enjoy reading your tales (tails?) of the mighty Maestro. You have an engaging tone for your postings and your words help me visualize the exact scene. Please keep posting! I may no longer have a cat of my own, but I can enjoy Maestro vicariously through your words here.

++

Ditto here. Thanks for posting.

fleabite

I enjoy the reports about Maestro too.

smallcleanrat

I'm so glad to know that people enjoy reading my posts about the Maestro (because I certainly enjoy writing them)!

I know when I was pet-less I got a lot of satisfaction out of other people's pet stories. I was a frequent lurker in the cat and dog threads on the old fora. And I love reading about the fora cats on this thread.

Looking forward to sharing many more Maestro stories here in the future! :)

evil_physics_witchcraft

Maestro is great! Keep the stories coming our way.

In Evil Cat news.... Eldest evil cat has started howling more when she's unhappy. We suspect that she may have vision and hearing issues (and possibly dementia) at the age of 18 years, which may be part of the reason she's doing this (according to the vet).

Now this cat can project her voice with some intensity! Imagine a teeny tiny black cat that suddenly destroys the calm peaceful silence with a tremendous yowl. Yes, I am trying to grade and I was brought back to reality by her earth-shattering screams. I worry because it sounds like she may be hurting herself (I mean she's really putting her back into creating noise), but I should know better. As soon as I let her into the room she commences with her chirps and 'happy cat' noises. What a butthead!

Harlow2

Agree that Maestro rocks.

Ulysses likes to sit on laptop keyboard and is shedding madly.

mamselle

Eldest evil cat clearly wants to be with you....

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: mamselle on April 25, 2021, 09:33:23 AM
Eldest evil cat clearly wants to be with you....

M.

Nah, she just tolerates me. I've only known her for 13 years. She just wanted her food.

OneMoreYear

Great moments in squirrely cat history!
Ricochet the squirrely tortie (who has lived with us for her entire life) is trying out a new napping spot*. She is napping . . . on a chair!  In the living room!  With both eyes closed! Such a brave kitty! What will she try next?
* previous safe napping spots include: in the back bedroom when no one is there, on top of the highest bookshelf, and on top of the 7 foot tall cat tree, and in the back of a closet.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: OneMoreYear on April 25, 2021, 10:05:08 AM
Great moments in squirrely cat history!
Ricochet the squirrely tortie (who has lived with us for her entire life) is trying out a new napping spot*. She is napping . . . on a chair!  In the living room!  With both eyes closed! Such a brave kitty! What will she try next?
* previous safe napping spots include: in the back bedroom when no one is there, on top of the highest bookshelf, and on top of the 7 foot tall cat tree, and in the back of a closet.

How bold of her! Maybe she's coming out of her shell more?

smallcleanrat

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on April 25, 2021, 08:15:09 AM

In Evil Cat news.... Eldest evil cat has started howling more when she's unhappy. We suspect that she may have vision and hearing issues (and possibly dementia) at the age of 18 years, which may be part of the reason she's doing this (according to the vet).

Now this cat can project her voice with some intensity! Imagine a teeny tiny black cat that suddenly destroys the calm peaceful silence with a tremendous yowl. Yes, I am trying to grade and I was brought back to reality by her earth-shattering screams. I worry because it sounds like she may be hurting herself (I mean she's really putting her back into creating noise), but I should know better. As soon as I let her into the room she commences with her chirps and 'happy cat' noises. What a butthead!

The scenario you describe reminded me of this comic:

https://mobile.twitter.com/eevee/status/924427298022998016/photo/1

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: smallcleanrat on April 25, 2021, 04:39:46 PM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on April 25, 2021, 08:15:09 AM

The scenario you describe reminded me of this comic:

https://mobile.twitter.com/eevee/status/924427298022998016/photo/1

Yep. That's basically it. Elder evil cat will go down into the basement and yodel- his behavior is pretty predictable, but eldest evil cat seems to looove to break the silence randomly with earth-shattering screams.

statsgeek

We've had a lot of squirrel, bird, and bunny activity here that's kept our three glued to the windows.  Even had a few instances of ill-advised pounce attempts hitting the glass, and one almost-broken screen that means they now only get open-window time when we're right here supervising. 

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: statsgeek on April 26, 2021, 05:17:32 AM
We've had a lot of squirrel, bird, and bunny activity here that's kept our three glued to the windows.  Even had a few instances of ill-advised pounce attempts hitting the glass, and one almost-broken screen that means they now only get open-window time when we're right here supervising.

Youngest evil cat loves to watch the birds and chipmunks that frolic in the yard. Skinks and lizards are starting to emerge and she will soon be glued to the window watching them.

Puget

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on April 26, 2021, 07:58:09 AM

Youngest evil cat loves to watch the birds and chipmunks that frolic in the yard. Skinks and lizards are starting to emerge and she will soon be glued to the window watching them.

If at all feasible, I highly recommend installing a "catio" they can go out into through a window. A kit can be had for a few hundred bucks. I've mentioned here before how much mine LOVE being out there. They'll spend hours watching the wildlife and basking in the sun, then come in go to sleep-- no more crazy cat energy behavior issues. They've also started carrying their toys out there, which is pretty cute (and sometimes but not always bringing them back in).
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

AvidReader

Mine are outdoor cats, and they are fascinated by the squirrels and birds but so far (that we know of) they have been unable to come close to catching these larger critters. Both cats have mastered dragonflies and grasshoppers, and Artemis last week took a flying leap towards a lizard on the side of the house and got six feet up a vertical wall (but missed the lizard, the poor dear).

Last week I learned that YouTube has videos for cats (birds, squirrels, mice, etc). We opened one and took a laptop out to the cats to see what they thought. Artemis watched for about 5 minutes and then wandered off in search of real prey, but Hestia watched intently for a while then tried to get around to the back side of the laptop where, she was sure, she would find the prey. (She did not).

AR.