News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

the "things you wish you could say" thread

Started by archaeo42, May 30, 2019, 01:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

To hotel guest ambling through the dining area in bare feet--this isn't a hot sheets motel.

To hotel-- breakfast! Granola bars, cornflakes, and yoghurt do not a breakfast make. I know you had to make changes because of the pandemic, but why the saving money for you protocols while informing guests that they don't have to wear masks if vaccinated?

mamselle

Oh, golly, you're making miss my favorite little hotel in France that has hot eggs, bacon, sausage, toast, youghurt, muesli, outmeal, fresh jams and preserves, little personal crottins of locally-made chevre, and six kinds of tea besides cocoa and coffee. (Oh, and pain chocolat, fresh brioche and baguettes, and fresh-made butter...)

In other words, I agree.

Wave this post in front of them and tell them they have stiffer competition than they think.

The nerve!

M. 
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ab_grp

I had not heard the term "hot sheets motel" before! That sounds like a sad little breakfast, Langue_doc.  And who wants to go pretty much anywhere in a hotel in bare feet? Ick. 

Dear colleague: watching and listening to you give a presentation or discussion is so painful that it makes me feel like sliding bonelessly off my chair and disappearing into my carpet. 

fishbrains

Quote from: ab_grp on June 07, 2021, 08:58:49 AM
I had not heard the term "hot sheets motel" before! That sounds like a sad little breakfast, Langue_doc.  And who wants to go pretty much anywhere in a hotel in bare feet? Ick. 

Well, when you are renting the room by the hour, you ain't got time for all that fancy-smancy business.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: mamselle on June 07, 2021, 06:14:45 AM
Oh, golly, you're making miss my favorite little hotel in France that has hot eggs, bacon, sausage, toast, youghurt, muesli, outmeal, fresh jams and preserves, little personal crottins of locally-made chevre, and six kinds of tea besides cocoa and coffee. (Oh, and pain chocolat, fresh brioche and baguettes, and fresh-made butter...)

In other words, I agree.

Wave this post in front of them and tell them they have stiffer competition than they think.

The nerve!

M.

Dang! This is making me hungry! It also reminds me of the last time I was there back in '89!

apl68

Quote from: Langue_doc on June 07, 2021, 05:46:14 AM
To hotel guest ambling through the dining area in bare feet--this isn't a hot sheets motel.

To hotel-- breakfast! Granola bars, cornflakes, and yoghurt do not a breakfast make. I know you had to make changes because of the pandemic, but why the saving money for you protocols while informing guests that they don't have to wear masks if vaccinated?

At the kind of places where I stay, you're doing well to have a box of doughnuts set out at breakfast time.  You get what you pay for with low-budget travel--but that's what some of us CAN pay for.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Langue_doc

Quote from: apl68 on June 07, 2021, 01:28:44 PM
Quote from: Langue_doc on June 07, 2021, 05:46:14 AM

At the kind of places where I stay, you're doing well to have a box of doughnuts set out at breakfast time.  You get what you pay for with low-budget travel--but that's what some of us CAN pay for.

I've stayed here in the past when I'm in this part of the country. One of the reasons is the advertised breakfast buffet which includes an egg dish, sausages, another hot dish (potatoes?), assorted bread, muffins, fruit and also cereal, yoghurt, juice, and at least a couple of items that I can't recall. I usually pick up a couple of muffins for the kids who think it's a treat. The last time I stayed here, a couple of years ago, they also had cookies around 3 PM, check-in time which I took along for the kids. The main reason for staying here is that I get much-needed privacy and quiet time while visiting relatives.

Quote from: fishbrains on June 07, 2021, 09:28:40 AM
Quote from: ab_grp on June 07, 2021, 08:58:49 AM

Well, when you are renting the room by the hour, you ain't got time for all that fancy-smancy business.

Yup, that's why they're called hot sheets motels.

ab_grp

Oh, I get it now.  Hot sheets! I have stayed in places that rented by various time frames.  Definitely experiences that I wouldn't want to replicate (one in particular).  And I definitely understand the need for some space away.

Langue_doc

I first heard this term a couple of decades ago when I was warned not to stay in a particular motel because it was a "hot sheets motel" where you could rent rooms by the hour.

mamselle

Gotta love the fora...always broadening our educations....

;--》

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Unrelated.

Family members:

Why do you think that I should drop everything and come running when you are in town?

fishbrains

You know, the only way what you said makes any f*cking sense at all is if you consider majority-Christians living here in Bible-Belt Trump country to be the ever-persecuted Jews in the Bible, instead of the Pharisees they truly tend to emulate.

Good grief.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

mamselle

Quote from: fishbrains on June 13, 2021, 02:01:41 PM
You know, the only way what you said makes any f*cking sense at all is if you consider majority-Christians living here in Bible-Belt Trump country to be the ever-persecuted Jews in the Bible, instead of the Pharisees they truly tend to emulate.

Good grief.

It's all Nixon's fault for first using the phrase, "Silent Majority."

Been loudly claiming their voices ever since.

M.

* I knew the minute I heard that phrase there was going to be a problem with it, it just took awhile before I figured out what....

Morris Zapp

Quote from: sinenomine on June 05, 2021, 12:17:48 PM
Quote from: Morris Zapp on June 04, 2021, 07:44:46 PM
Ding dong the witch is dead! So glad you will be plaguing the faculty at another university. When they hired you, they had no idea what forces of evil they were unleashing. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Uh oh — I hope this doesn't refer to a job candidate who recently interviewed for a position where I work....

If the candidate  was wearing a bowtie, then you are up the creek.

sinenomine

Quote from: Morris Zapp on June 14, 2021, 04:40:50 AM
Quote from: sinenomine on June 05, 2021, 12:17:48 PM
Quote from: Morris Zapp on June 04, 2021, 07:44:46 PM
Ding dong the witch is dead! So glad you will be plaguing the faculty at another university. When they hired you, they had no idea what forces of evil they were unleashing. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Uh oh — I hope this doesn't refer to a job candidate who recently interviewed for a position where I work....

If the candidate  was wearing a bowtie, then you are up the creek.

Nope — but the hire we made still terrifies me.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."