Main Menu

the "things you wish you could say" thread

Started by archaeo42, May 30, 2019, 01:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

Quote from: the_geneticist on May 20, 2020, 08:15:32 AM
Quote from: Liquidambar on May 19, 2020, 06:19:34 PM
Quote from: Puget on May 19, 2020, 02:41:13 PM
I do vividly recall cutting my finger with the new pocket knife I'd been begging for and finally gotten (at around 8?), and quietly going in to get a bandaid without telling my parents because I figured they might take the knife away if they knew.

I have a similar memory!

I must have been 10 or so when I accidentally shut my pocket knife on my finger and cut it pretty deep.  In my case, I did eventually tell my Dad who asked "Do you want stitches?".  Well, no I didn't want to go to the doctor so we just bandaged it up and called it good.

Something similar happened once when I was about seven and got second-degree burns on my fingers from a faulty popcorn maker.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

fishbrains

If you admins would make a decision or two, the faculty will make it work. But you need to make a decision.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

polly_mer

That is not social distancing.  Even with a mask on, that's not being germ aware.  That's pretty much the opposite of trying to slow the spread during a pandemic.

It's not going to be good next week.  Hope it was worth it.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

evil_physics_witchcraft

Financial Aid, please pull your head out of your ass so that students can get paid to work again!

evil_physics_witchcraft

Double post.

I'm so frustrated with Financial Aid, that I am tempted to pay the students to work! These kids are just trying to have a job and FA is screwing around and screwing them over.

It has been over a month of waiting!

FishProf

Hey ADMIN!!  I can't do ALL of this.  And every time you call a meeting, I end up doing less and getting MORE to do.

Delegating may clear your plate, but it's just buries mine.  If you aren't going to DO this extra work, why do we have you? 

I'll happily NOT do your job for half of what we pay you.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

apl68

You know, I don't want to see Trump re-elected any more than you so.  But could we stop with the demonization of Trump supporters?  I can't help noticing that it's not them who are burning and looting in our cities right now.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

mamselle

Well, actually, we don't always know who burns and loots at times.

《Agents provocateurs》are not only possible, but not unlikely, and other random bad-faith actors are sometimes imported as well.

Not to say there aren't local residents involved, but the participants in a riot are often a varied bunch.

But I hear your underlying point.

People going on and on, even when you agree with them on broader terms, are a true pain to try to get out of your inner ear.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

AmLitHist

Ok, Chancellor, so we got your email saying that senior admin will be furloughed.  That subject line was click-bait, though:  each one of you will take one day's furlough per month for the rest of the year.

So, logically, if this one day per month really does amount to a significant sacrifice on y'all's part, y'all are definitely making way too damned much money.

Or, if it's not a substantial sacrifice (which is more likely), STFU about it and quit beating around the bush about another RIF. Don't point to this as being y'all taking one for the school and then outright firing dozens of us again, like happened in 2017-18.

You can't honestly have it both ways. And at this point, if you're going to do the RIF, go ahead and let us know so we can get our finances/unemployment paperwork in order and get it started.

mamselle

Given that there's been an automatic 12-week extension on unemployment (according to a friend who was laid off last year and was about to run out of their coverage this week) it might be better if they did it sooner, in case you could still qualify for the extra 12 weeks up front.

Not sure if it would really work that way, but there may be a chance...I seem to recall a case several seasons ago when that happened.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Vkw10

Quote from: mamselle on June 01, 2020, 05:55:21 PM
Given that there's been an automatic 12-week extension on unemployment (according to a friend who was laid off last year and was about to run out of their coverage this week)

Wonder if that 12-week extension is state or federal? Unemployment rules are a strange mix of state and federal rules, which is confusing.

Quote from: AmLitHist on June 01, 2020, 01:56:26 PM
Ok, Chancellor, so we got your email saying that senior admin will be furloughed.  That subject line was click-bait, though:  each one of you will take one day's furlough per month for the rest of the year.

So, logically, if this one day per month really does amount to a significant sacrifice on y'all's part, y'all are definitely making way too damned much money.

Most months have 20-21 working days, so 1 furlough day a month is approximately 5% salary reduction for the year. Furloughing a half-dozen highest paid upper admins may save one job among lowest paid employees.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

mamselle

QuoteQuote from: mamselle on 01 June 2020, 20:55:21
QuoteGiven that there's been an automatic 12-week extension on unemployment (according to a friend who was laid off last year and was about to run out of their coverage this week)

Wonder if that 12-week extension is state or federal? Unemployment rules are a strange mix of state and federal rules, which is confusing.

I'll ask and come back to let you know.

M.

mamselle

My friend just wrote back.

It's Federal.

M.

Vkw10

I finished the accreditation report today!

(Instead, I'm promising myself not to pend the entire weekend on it.)
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

mamselle

Quote from: mamselle on June 02, 2020, 07:25:43 PM
My friend just wrote back.

It's Federal.

M.

But it's not quite automatic; she found out she still has to apply.

Sorry for any misinformation.

M.