News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Knitting, Sewing and Handcraft Projects, Now and Forever...

Started by mamselle, March 15, 2020, 07:55:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmLitHist

Another baby blanket done--or will be, before lunch.  I thought it was nearly done last night, but when I folded it before bed, I see that I probably need to frog the final 2 rows of hdc and skip the blank spaces that are now filled in (blanket is one big granny square) so that it lays flatter.  No big deal.

Next up:  a shawl.

mamselle

Quote from: AmLitHist on May 21, 2020, 09:02:32 AM
Here's a page with images of mile-a-minute afghans (posting it just because there are so many variations of the basic pattern!).  I usually do the basic one--dc in the center, surrounded by various combinations of dc, trc, and singles, then joined together.

I especially like these and variations of granny squares in the summer--it's not so hot to work on a strip or a square, as opposed to having a long afghan on your lap!

Thanks for the link!

Now I get it; I'd seen these before, just didn't know they had a name. I like the various designs.

The turquoise-and-aqua one is pretty; reminds me of the daisies I made in the 1970s from those two exact same colors....(I still have all the daisies in a shoebox, somewhere, if the moths didn't get into them....)! Never finished the afghan, obviously!

Those two colors, and the maroon-and-pink combination were popular in our Jr. Hi Home Ec. sewing classes, I recall one two-piece shift (pink short-waisted bodice, maroon inset skirt) ahead of me in the hallway, but don't remember who was wearing it....!

I made a turquoise jumper (Am. 'smock', not British sweater, that is) with an aqua "store-boughten" blouse that I loved...can't wear now, of course, them but still have them, somewhere...

Good for you for getting so many blankets done!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

AmLitHist

The shawl is done. Onto a lapghan or throw, depending on how I feel as it goes along--mitered squares this time.  (Still working away to make a dent in the yarn stash!)

nebo113

I have a long warp on my loom, so am playing with it, trying new things.  It's mystery yarn which was free, so I'm not concerned about wasting good stuff, and it's fun to try things that I can apply to "real" projects.

mamselle

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

nebo113

Quote from: mamselle on June 13, 2020, 09:16:47 AM
So, a sampler, in a way?

M.

Giggling, because a "sampler" implies some sort of planning and I'm just sorta looking in my weaving books and trying what strikes my fancy.  But enjoying myself and learning....

Parasaurolophus

I'ma re-upholster some beautiful oak kitchen chairs sometime soon. The screws keeping the backrests in place appear to be covered with wooden screw covers, however.

How do I remove them without damaging anything?
I know it's a genus.

AmLitHist

The mitered squares blanket is a no-go. I did two grannies and getting the two open sides to remain flat is going to be a PitA.  (Blocking won't help, as I only work with acrylic yarn--allergic to wool--for blankets.) 

So, I'll frog those two and make some other kind of throw/lapghan out of the yarn.  I'm just in the mood for something relatively mindless and easy at the moment.

(I can probably make a go of the mitered grannies later, when I have more time/interest to be careful in assuring the squareness.  I also have other non-granny patterns; using single or half double or even double crochet would likely eliminate the problem.)

mamselle

Frog?

Never heard that used as a verb before.

Anything to do with Calaveras County?

M.

AmLitHist

Quote from: mamselle on June 16, 2020, 08:33:34 AM
Frog?

Never heard that used as a verb before.

Anything to do with Calaveras County?

M.

"Frog is knitting slang for 'ripping out' knitting: taking the piece off the needles, and unraveling it quickly. It's not unique to knitting: crocheters frog their work. . . .

"We can find use of this particular frog back to 1996, where knitters and needleworkers talked about the frog stitch, used to undo work, on Usenet. The proposed etymology that fiber arts people repeat is that the act of unraveling work is called frogging because you 'rip it, rip it,' which sounds a lot like 'ribbit, ribbit.' We're still hunting for an earlier citation that will definitively prove that etymology."

This, from Merriam-Webster.com.  Once I found something online saying that the term is loosely related to something from the French, but since I do well to sort of master English, I don't know if/how true that is. And naturally, I can't find it again now when I look for it.

Probably TMI; sorry.  I really need to get back to teaching!

mamselle

That's great, thanks!

Where's that wacky definitions thread?

This belongs as a cross-reference to that!

M.

ETA: In French, "frog" is <<gargouille>>, so I don't think that gets us anywhere.

(Except maybe that scene in "Triplettes de Belleville"...or the ones in the "Mandalorian")

;-}

Morden

I heard it was called frogging because "rip it" sounds like "ribbit." I have no idea if this is the actual origin of the term.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: mamselle on June 16, 2020, 12:06:14 PM
That's great, thanks!

Where's that wacky definitions thread?

This belongs as a cross-reference to that!

M.

ETA: In French, "frog" is <<gargouille>>, so I don't think that gets us anywhere.

(Except maybe that scene in "Triplettes de Belleville"...or the ones in the "Mandalorian")

;-}

I thought that frog was 'grenouille' in French. Maybe it's another term?

mamselle

You're absolutely right.

Written while trying to do two things at once!

<<Grenouille>> indeed....(<<Gargouille>> is a gargoyle...sorry...)

Here are the links I was thinking of, anyway:

Triplettes de Belleville:

a) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0VrHQ-cHUA

and

b) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVemlT6qQJA

Mandalorian:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_rZimZtohY

M.

nebo113

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 15, 2020, 08:12:42 PM
I'ma re-upholster some beautiful oak kitchen chairs sometime soon. The screws keeping the backrests in place appear to be covered with wooden screw covers, however.

How do I remove them without damaging anything?

Are the wooden screw covers something that can be bought at a big box store?