News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Knitting, Sewing and Handcraft Projects, Now and Forever...

Started by mamselle, March 15, 2020, 07:55:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morris Zapp

We had an adult child successfully 'launch' and move out and now I"m contemplating turning her room into a craft room.  ANy suggestions?
Our neighbors were throwing away a perfectly functional kitchen island, so I"m going to paint it white and use it for a craft room island.
Ordered some shelves online.
Would do you have in your craft room that you particularly like.
Thinking of getting an Ott light so I can see when I'm needle pointing.
Got an estimate from one of those closet building companies, and they said lots of people have TV's in their craft room.  Do you?

wellfleet

Yes to the island and the Ott light--make sure the island is the right height for what you'll be using it for. We have a tv in our studio, mostly for sound while working (I like long-form documentaries and movies I already love and don't really have to watch) when I'm working on quilts. My mom watches endless hours of tennis, too, so one common soundtrack goes thwack . . . thwack . . . grunt . . . thwack. Pay attention to the rest of the lighting, too, whether for work light or for the need to protect some materials from light, if necessary.
One of the benefits of age is an enhanced ability not to say every stupid thing that crosses your mind. So there's that.

nebo113

I finally got an OTT light and wonder why I stalled so long on doing so.  Makes a world of difference.

AmLitHist

For anyone wanting an Ott lite: they come on sale at Joann's pretty often.  (That's how I justified mine several years ago.)  And once in a blue moon Joann's will have a half-price coupon you can use on sale items.

I've done odd chores, taken ALHS to doctors, run errands, etc. this spring break week.  I fully intend to get some serious crocheting time in front of the t.v. and March Madness starting in just a little bit, and to continue it throughout the tournament.

nebo113

Quote from: AmLitHist on March 19, 2021, 11:39:26 AM
For anyone wanting an Ott lite: they come on sale at Joann's pretty often.  (That's how I justified mine several years ago.)  And once in a blue moon Joann's will have a half-price coupon you can use on sale items.

I've done odd chores, taken ALHS to doctors, run errands, etc. this spring break week.  I fully intend to get some serious crocheting time in front of the t.v. and March Madness starting in just a little bit, and to continue it throughout the tournament.

I found mine on sale at JoAnnes online.  I avoid Amazon for the evil it is.  Have fun with the needle.

AmLitHist

The stack of crocheted hexagons started last summer has been added to, and after I work in the ends on the final few, they're ready to be sewn into an afghan to be given to one of my friends who is retiring at the end of July.

Then I'm starting a quick afghan to give to another friend, also retiring in July.

Then I'll start on a mystical lanterns afghan to give to yet another friend who is retiring in December.

Charlotte

Quote from: AmLitHist on June 05, 2021, 06:52:21 AM
The stack of crocheted hexagons started last summer has been added to, and after I work in the ends on the final few, they're ready to be sewn into an afghan to be given to one of my friends who is retiring at the end of July.

Then I'm starting a quick afghan to give to another friend, also retiring in July.

Then I'll start on a mystical lanterns afghan to give to yet another friend who is retiring in December.

I love this idea. I'm inspired to learn how to do this only perhaps with knitting because I'm more skilled at knitting than crocheting.

mamselle

I still have a Box of Daisy Hexagons I started a year after high school,  meaning to stitch them together to make an afghan, and give them as a holiday present to family members....

Maybe I should just make a scarf for myself, now.

Assuming the mothballs in the box did their job, that is....

M.

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

AmLitHist

I went through a baby blanket kick last year; I seem to be in my small pieces/blocks/strips phase now, which is nicer in the summer (easier to do small bits than a huge heavy one-piece afghan on the lap in the hot weather) and also because they can be put down and worked together later on.  I like to have something more or less at the ready so I can have a gift ready at the last minute, should something come up.

Kid #1 has also shown me a website/app that caters to younger people (teens-20s) where I might be able to make some serious sales.  Crochet garments are apparently "in" with the kids these days.  :-)

mamselle

Oooh, do it! (The sales site)

That would be so cool!

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

nebo113

Quote from: AmLitHist on June 05, 2021, 10:34:50 AM
I went through a baby blanket kick last year; I seem to be in my small pieces/blocks/strips phase now, which is nicer in the summer (easier to do small bits than a huge heavy one-piece afghan on the lap in the hot weather) and also because they can be put down and worked together later on.  I like to have something more or less at the ready so I can have a gift ready at the last minute, should something come up.

Kid #1 has also shown me a website/app that caters to younger people (teens-20s) where I might be able to make some serious sales.  Crochet garments are apparently "in" with the kids these days.  :-)

Oh goodness.  I remember crocheted ponchos worn with bell bottoms and love beads!

AmLitHist

Quote from: nebo113 on June 06, 2021, 07:36:14 AM
Quote from: AmLitHist on June 05, 2021, 10:34:50 AM

I do, too!  Apparently now the big things are purses/bags, ponchos, shawls, bralettes/tops/bikinis, and skirts and pants.  Those last three make me raise my eyebrows, but I guess that's the perks of being young--you can wear most anything and get away with it.  :-)  And if they want to buy it, who am I to deprive them?

Oh goodness.  I remember crocheted ponchos worn with bell bottoms and love beads!

mamselle

I thiiinnnnk most bra-lettes, tank tops and pants/skirts have a color-coordinated silky lining under them, (don't they?)...

M.

AmLitHist

Quote from: mamselle on June 07, 2021, 09:11:29 AM
I thiiinnnnk most bra-lettes, tank tops and pants/skirts have a color-coordinated silky lining under them, (don't they?)...

M.
Apparently not,from the patterns and instagram photos of them being worn that I'm seeing!  One uses lots of SC's and dense stitching in the appropriate areas, from what I can find.  [blush]

mamselle