Hooray For ME! (Announce your victories both large and small here!)

Started by clean, June 02, 2020, 03:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightning

Quote from: sinenomine on June 04, 2020, 07:12:02 AM
I just submitted my belated departmental annual report and assessment data.

That's actually quite an amazing accomplishment.

It's not really a victory on my part, but my university has decided to postpone assessment and reporting deadlines normally scheduled for this year, to next year.

nonsensical

Congratulations to everyone on your accomplishments!

I recently learned that I won a very large grant, more than half a million dollars. It's been hard to celebrate given ... all of this (said while gesturing at basically everything happening right now). But, I had been discussing a potential position in my lab with someone, and I got to e-mail her and let her know that the job was hers since the grant had come through. It was very joyful to be able to offer someone a position in the middle of a pandemic and a terrible economy.

My lab also submitted two R&Rs this week. The revisions for both were fairly straightforward. It feels good to have those papers off my desk, and I am optimistic about their chances of acceptance.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: nonsensical on June 04, 2020, 01:01:26 PM
Congratulations to everyone on your accomplishments!

I recently learned that I won a very large grant, more than half a million dollars. It's been hard to celebrate given ... all of this (said while gesturing at basically everything happening right now). But, I had been discussing a potential position in my lab with someone, and I got to e-mail her and let her know that the job was hers since the grant had come through. It was very joyful to be able to offer someone a position in the middle of a pandemic and a terrible economy.

My lab also submitted two R&Rs this week. The revisions for both were fairly straightforward. It feels good to have those papers off my desk, and I am optimistic about their chances of acceptance.

W00T!!  So nice to hear good news that brings other people good news in these times.

Congrats and avaunt!! 
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

wareagle

After a year on the market, I landed a job!  Unbelievable!
[A]n effective administrative philosophy would be to remember that faculty members are goats.  Occasionally, this will mean helping them off of the outhouse roof or watching them eat the drapes.   -mended drum

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: wareagle on June 04, 2020, 02:19:06 PM

As the Professor would say, 'Good news!'

Seriously, congrats!

mamselle

Glad for all these moments of joy.

And joy leads to strength.

So, be strong.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Vkw10

Quote from: bacardiandlime on June 04, 2020, 12:30:08 AM
Pro dyes are good because you can adjust the strength yourself.  Also if you only need a small amount (dying a small patch lie this) it works out cheaper as they are in resealable containers and last a while (home box dyes are all single use).

Thank you! I hadn't thought about professional dyes being less expensive in the long run. If I decide to go beyond temporary spot of color, that's good to know.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

mamselle

Quote from: bacardiandlime on June 03, 2020, 01:35:17 PM
I painted out my patch of grey hair. It worked!

Oooh...do we have a "cosmetics" thread here?

Vox ran the one on the old forum with curatorial aplomb....not sure we can emulate that, but, well....

Might be fun.

M.

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Wahoo Redux

Bravo on beating the odds!!!  Congrats!!  Happy days!
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

wareagle

Thanks, all.  I never expected to get back into my profession, so it is a real boost. 
[A]n effective administrative philosophy would be to remember that faculty members are goats.  Occasionally, this will mean helping them off of the outhouse roof or watching them eat the drapes.   -mended drum

Cheerful

Quote from: wareagle on June 05, 2020, 10:55:31 AM
Thanks, all.  I never expected to get back into my profession, so it is a real boost.

Enjoy every minute of this huge victory, wareagle!  You did it!  You won!  Celebrate!

Congrats on your grant, nonsensical! How nice that you could offer fabulous job news to someone else.  Celebrate!

Great job on the lawnmower, clean!  Celebrate!

Vkw10

Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

AmLitHist

Quote from: wareagle on June 05, 2020, 10:55:31 AM

Great news, wareagle!  Congratulations and all the best to you!

ergative

Congratulations!

My victory is that I finally managed to clip off a bit of ragged nail that I broke below the quick on Saturday. Now I have a super-short fingernail on my right ring finger, but my right hand is back to full use. Please notice how error-free my typing is!