News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Good morning!

I figured folks might be missing fanfic.  I was lucky that husband gave me a hint that there was a word I thought was dumb, which I didn't have in my list and found it for my final word.  It irked me when it appeared before (I did get it without help that time), because I don't think it accepts anything similar that I've tried.  I'm glad you found it, cathwen!

Today I just made it over the Alpha threshold and still have 5 more words, one of which is apparently four letters.  Lots of those today.  Husband is one point shy of Alpha after zooming past me earlier.

Good job on the LB yesterday, cathwen and ciao_yall! I was trying gaslighting and similar, but no luck.  Congrats on getting another one today, cathwen!

Sending juju your way as well, Parasaurolophus!

Happy solving!

ab_grp

And good afternoon!

After getting no further our final words, we dove deeply into Shunn.  Only one of my final ones was what I would consider a bee word.  Oof! Oh well, busy day/week, and 70 words is pretty good.

But I also just (finally) got a (very lopsided) 2fer!

Parasaurolophus, I forgot to note earlier that husband and I were also thinking that affine should have been accepted.

And I feel like there's a word in there today that used to be accepted but isn't anymore.  I think!

ciao_yall

ab_grp, I think we got the same 2fer!

I'm at 69 words and 88.89% so that's what, Beta plus? Or Alpha minus? Came here to announce my status because as soon as I click off I'll find another word. Haven't checked shunn yet.

Parasaurolophus

Thanks, cathwen and ab_grp.

I found a pangram and got close, but I may well give up just short. It's not been a good day for it, I'm afraid.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Morning!

Pangram and genius so far.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

Also pangram and genius so far. 

Yesterday I missed QB by one word—haboob.  According to the webz, it is an Arabic word for wind storm, and has been borrowed into English to describe Arizona wind storms.  My husband, who spent his teen years in Arizona, did not recognize the word, so it must be a later borrowing.  But harrumph!

My LB solution yesterday was cancerous-somberly.   I do not have a 2fer for today yet.

Happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

SB: Another new word: haboob. Gah. Glad I didn't head over to shunn because I never would have gotten it.

LB: you-unscramble which came pretty quickly and was the official solution. cathwen hmm, there's a theme in yours?

Okay, happy solving! Quick pangram this morning. ETA: Genius, 2fer. Will today be a QBAM?

cathwen

Congratulations on finding a 2fer today, ciao_yall!  I thought this was a hard one—but I finally got a 2fer, too. 

And good luck making it to QBAY!  I just don't see a QB (and certainly not QBAM) in my future today.  I'm just below Beta and running out of ideas. 

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

We have haboobs here now and again, so I definitely got that word! They can be quite a thing.  Today got to QB with Shunn help on the last word, but lots more conference sessions and a call with my BFF, so not much time to spare.  There were a couple bee words in there today.

For LB, I had unscramblers-soy, so a couple different ones among us! Congrats on your 2fers today, cathwen and ciao_yall! I will hope to join you.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB - Yesterday, missed a few oddballs I should have gotten. But then... unhat? Okay. Another new word. Amazing and pangram so far. ETA: Still there. I'll be glad to get "genius."

LB - obnoxious-sprawl which came pretty quickly and was the official solution. This morning got a long word which ate up a lot of letters but no mates. ETA: Made a 2fer out of it!

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

Unhat is dumb given all the other un-s they won't accept.  I think my final word was cantata, which I probably should have gotten earlier given all the harder ones I found.

Today we compared hashes after getting to Alpha and getting stuck.  Husband gave me three first letters, I gave him two.  I found one, so now we each have three words left.  Not sure if we have team QB or are both missing the same final word, but we'll keep at it.  Lots of beekeeping and at least one word I think was in there before but isn't one I really recognize.

No luck on LB yesterday, though I did have sprawl at one point and anxious but did not figure out the actual mate.  Congrats, ciao_yall on also getting one already today! Glad you could make your long word work.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Genius, finally, after a slog. Took a peek at shunn and I am a ways away from QB...

ab_grp

Good luck, ciao_yall! We had to look to Shunn for the first letter of a remaining word but finally each made it to impure QB.

Still no LB luck today, but I will keep at it.  I have some good contenders.

cathwen

Good evening! 

It's been a busy day of household reorganization—moving furniture, cleaning out cabinets and drawers, vacuuming all the dust that had been lurking behind the furniture.  Oof!  Not fun, but somehow satisfying.

I haven't had much time for SB and LB,  but I did make it to genius with the pangram—and I'm almost at Beta.  I have not found a 2fer for today's LB.

Ciao_yall, congratulations on your 2fer!

Yesterday, I was three words short of QB, all of which I've seen before:  cannula, lantana, and lunula.  Sigh.... And I agree with how silly a word unhat is! 

My LB solution yesterday was blownup-praxis.  I was astounded that blownup was accepted as a single word, especially in the past form—but who am I to argue with the great LB?

I'm exhausted and doubt that I'll spend to much more time on puzzles today—but good luck to those still working on them!

Parasaurolophus

Curse lifted! Gotta genius at the eleventh (and a half) hour!
I know it's a genus.