News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Inhale Thread !

Started by mamselle, June 14, 2019, 06:11:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

Encounter with a cop resulted in a warning and no ticket. I found myself in the HOV lane and was expecting a ticket in the mail when I and two other cars encountered the cop. The cop would have been justified in giving me a ticket, so whew!

traductio

I learned yesterday that my most recent book made the shortlist for an obscure prize -- best scholarly book published in 2020 in a certain Canadian province (not the one where I live).

Obscure or not, I'm pretty pleased!

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ergative

Congrats, traductio! Prizes are great, regardless of obscurity.

Speaking of prizes, I just learned that my strongest grad student, who I nominated for a teaching award, won the teaching award! And it's not just a pretty certificate. It comes with a substantial pot of research funds as well. I am so wildly proud of her. She's just been so quietly excellent in everything she does, and the pandemic shutdown came at the worst possible time for her research, and she made herself so valuable in so many other ways while her work was stalled, that I'm thrilled to see her getting more external recognition for her many merits.

Parents aren't supposed to have favorite children, but advisors can have favorite advisees, right? She's definitely my favorite advisee. The others are fine (well, except for that other one), but this one is special.

apl68

Congratulations, truductio and ergative!
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

mamselle

Quote from: mamselle on July 10, 2021, 09:45:08 PM
Won't!

M.

That was supposed to be "Woot!"

<< goes off muttering.....Stupid Autocorrect....>>

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

paultuttle

Quote from: mamselle on July 14, 2021, 12:40:06 PM
Quote from: mamselle on July 10, 2021, 09:45:08 PM
Won't!

M.

That was supposed to be "Woot!"

<< goes off muttering.....Stupid Autocorrect....>>

Huh. I was wondering whether you were channeling Dudley for a moment.

M.

mamselle

Hah!

But, no. Just typing on a phone that thinks it knows more than anyone.

Today's inhale:

A friend with whom I do 3x/week updates on our work actually took the time to call when they saw my blistering frustration at yesterday's Ppt nonsense.

I'd been feeling for awhile like I often check in with others when they are upset, but no-one was reciprocating.

I'm happy to report that is no longer the case.

Feeling blessed and grateful.

M. 

apl68

Quote from: mamselle on August 17, 2021, 09:12:17 AM
Hah!

But, no. Just typing on a phone that thinks it knows more than anyone.

Today's inhale:

A friend with whom I do 3x/week updates on our work actually took the time to call when they saw my blistering frustration at yesterday's Ppt nonsense.

I'd been feeling for awhile like I often check in with others when they are upset, but no-one was reciprocating.

I'm happy to report that is no longer the case.

Feeling blessed and grateful.

M.

Good to hear!  I paused and inhaled along with you.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

mouseman

The Mouselet finished a great internship, and, despite issues of overcrowding, will have on-campus housing this coming year.

Since she had decided to go to grad school, she may very well join the Fora as a grad student. While we have had multiple couples on these Fora and on their previous incarnation, I think that would be the first multigenerational membership.

In another few years, she my well be asking for advice in faculty search. Despite our best efforts, she has decided that academia is her path of choice...
"Just the place for a Snark!" the Bellman cried,
   As he landed his crew with care;
Supporting each man on the top of the tide
   By a finger entwined in his hair.

Lewis Carroll

mamselle

Wow, it's like she'll be grand-daughtered in....or something...

Good to see your name.

M.

ergative

Oh I do hope she'll choose 'Mouselet' as her moniker!

My inhale is that my headache, which has been nagging at me since last Thursday, finally seems to have disappeared. The experience of having a headache that lasts more than a few hours is brand new to me, so I was definitely thinking about brain tumors and aneurisms by Monday, although thankfully it let up before I started doom-googling.

ergative

I just had my last set of meetings with my summer MSc students, who are all in the final stages of data analysis before submitting their dissertations next month. And their projects look so good! They have interesting data which--best of all--show clearly interpretable results. The two students who have been trained in R and stats are using R at a very high level, and even the student I've vented before, who's using Excel on a Mac with all labels in Chinese, looks like she'll have some nice results too, which we put in a pivot table together. I'm very proud of them!

Vkw10

TIAA finally filled out my rollover form correctly! My pension account now shows the year of service credit purchased. Cost will increase substantially on September 1, so I'm inhaling and exhaling a big sigh of relief.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

fast_and_bulbous

Got an article accepted in Science, holy crap!

And I have lots of weed. I always think this thread is about weed, for a split second, before I remember that it is something else entirely.

I actually have a lot to be happy about right now, it's odd to be so content working away in my basement when the rest of the world seems to be falling apart.

I'll just keep on inhalin' I guess, with occasional exhales so as not to explode.
I wake up every morning with a healthy dose of analog delay