News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Vaccination nation

Started by downer, December 23, 2020, 07:05:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hmaria1609

Maryland will close their mass vaccination sites by next month:
https://wtop.com/maryland/2021/06/maryland-winding-down-most-mass-vaccination-clinics/
From WTOP Radio online (6/3/21)

apl68

Yesterday our pastor encouraged vaccination, even if you aren't afraid of COVID yourself, or ARE afraid of the vaccine.  We're not doing it for ourselves, we're doing it for the sake of allaying concerns in other people.  He pointed out the example of Timothy, a New Testament Christian who agreed as an adult to be circumcised in order not to give offense to Jewish communities he worked with.  As the pastor put it, a sore arm doesn't seem like such a big deal compared to volunteering to be circumcised as an adult!
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

kaysixteen

It is very good that your pastor did this-- I would very much like mine to do so, but someone would probably have to convince him to get vaccinated first--- how did the congregation react to it?

apl68

Quote from: kaysixteen on June 07, 2021, 11:33:34 AM
It is very good that your pastor did this-- I would very much like mine to do so, but someone would probably have to convince him to get vaccinated first--- how did the congregation react to it?

I don't know.  I'll probably find out Wednesday evening.  He may get some critical comments, but I doubt anybody will make trouble over it. 

I'd been wanting him to say something along those lines myself.  I knew he wasn't against vaccination--he got vaccinated sometime back, around the time I did.  Our society's growing habit of turning matters that shouldn't be a matter of political posturing into intensely polarized and divisive identity issues has made it extremely hard for ministers to address things like this.  So I didn't pressure him. 

Notice how he addressed the issue.  He didn't deny or belittle the reasons--"I'm not afraid of getting COVID" or "I AM afraid of getting the vaccine"--why so many are resistant to vaccination.  He simply pointed out that vaccination is a good thing to do out of consideration for others.  Which is thoroughly consistent with the emphasis he has always placed in his messages on living our lives for God by living them for other people, as opposed to merely living for ourselves.  Which in turn comes, you know, from the New Testament.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

Langue_doc

Sign on the door to the coffee shop announced that "maskless employees" have been vaccinated and that patrons who were vaccinated didn't have to wear masks. I heard at least a couple of customers ask for clarification as the customers didn't have to show proof of vaccination. It's almost the same policy in the hotel where I'm staying as the person at the front desk told me that I didn't need to wear a mask anywhere on the premises and also in most of the places in town.

The protocols in NY, according to the twice-weekly email from the guv sent today:

"Per the CDC, New York has done more shots in arms per capita than any big state in the country—68.6 percent of adults have at least one dose of the COVID vaccine. Today I announced that once we hit 70 percent, most of the remaining COVID-19 restrictions will be lifted. This includes industry-specific capacity restrictions, social distancing, as well as other protocols in place. Until more New Yorkers are vaccinated, large-scale event venues, public transit, and pre-K to 12 schools still must follow the State's guidelines."

downer

Several countries now allow people from the US to visit just with a negative PCR COVID test done within 72 hours of arrival.

Private companies are charging $200-400 for those tests.

If you go to a testing site with a sore throat and ask for a PCR test, how soon do you get the results?
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Caracal

Quote from: downer on June 08, 2021, 04:40:21 AM
Several countries now allow people from the US to visit just with a negative PCR COVID test done within 72 hours of arrival.

Private companies are charging $200-400 for those tests.

If you go to a testing site with a sore throat and ask for a PCR test, how soon do you get the results?

The last time we did one of these it was a less than 24 hour turnaround time.

clean

Any suggestions?:

I am in one of those Red States that has dictated that masks in public buildings are NOT required. 
Fine.
I am not exactly sure yet what the total ramifications will be.
My Sister In Law is in one of the OTHER red states that makes the news.
At the university she works, you can not require a mask.  (Vaccinated people are not required to wear one, but non-vaccinated ones should).  HOwever, you can not in any way ask for proof, one way or the other.  She reports that faculty are not able to require students to wear masks EVEN in their offices.

That is my problem. I will be required to have in person office hours in the Fall. Fine!.
I have been vaccinated, BUT I have multiple comorbidities.  Even IF I would have 'less critical' reactions to getting sick, it is very likely that I will still have a MORE serious reaction than an otherwise healthy person.

So what do I do?  I will be glad to provide masks to students that want to meet with me in my office, but if they refuse the mask, What do I do?

(Currently, i fear that I will become suddenly nauseous and require to cancel my office hours and go home, where I will be glad to meet with the maskless and other students online/via WebEx.... I think that I can throw up on demand, though Im not sure I have mastered that 'skill'). 

Anyone else facing similar governmental mandates?  What are your contingency plans?
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Morden

QuoteI will be required to have in person office hours in the Fall.
Do you have to have in person office hours in your office? Could you have them in a larger, better ventilated (or even outdoor) location?

Kron3007

Quote from: Morden on June 08, 2021, 12:17:07 PM
QuoteI will be required to have in person office hours in the Fall.
Do you have to have in person office hours in your office? Could you have them in a larger, better ventilated (or even outdoor) location?

Cant you refuse to work if you feel the conditions are unsafe (not familiar with US policy on this)?  If so, I would do so to elevate the concern.

Of course, this assumes you are tenured or secure in your position...

clean

QuoteCant you refuse to work if you feel the conditions are unsafe

They are equally free to refuse to Pay me!!

I am working another 1302 days (according to the countdown calendar). At that point I have health insurance paid by the state in retirement (and could retire then, assuming my portfolios hold their values by then).

I could try to use the conference room near my office to meet with students at a greater distance. However, in the past, i have used that room to do other things (as it was a slack resource) only to have a busy body associate dean ask, "What do you need for us  to help you with to allow you to work in your office?"  I replied, "What is the issue with using a slack resource? I need space, and my office is not big enough to spread out as I need to do this work (at 4 pm and later  in the afternoon!)"

Outside is probably not an option.  While I dont think that they are checking for my presence in the office, I have the office next to the Dean's Suite, so all of the admincritters would have to stop outside my door to open the suite door!  It is hard to hide my absence! 

Otherwise, even in the fall, it is hot, humid  and windy here.  We USE ac here and would not live here without it!.
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Antiphon1

Quote from: clean on June 08, 2021, 01:16:04 PM
QuoteCant you refuse to work if you feel the conditions are unsafe

They are equally free to refuse to Pay me!!

I am working another 1302 days (according to the countdown calendar). At that point I have health insurance paid by the state in retirement (and could retire then, assuming my portfolios hold their values by then).

I could try to use the conference room near my office to meet with students at a greater distance. However, in the past, i have used that room to do other things (as it was a slack resource) only to have a busy body associate dean ask, "What do you need for us  to help you with to allow you to work in your office?"  I replied, "What is the issue with using a slack resource? I need space, and my office is not big enough to spread out as I need to do this work (at 4 pm and later  in the afternoon!)"

Outside is probably not an option.  While I dont think that they are checking for my presence in the office, I have the office next to the Dean's Suite, so all of the admincritters would have to stop outside my door to open the suite door!  It is hard to hide my absence! 

Otherwise, even in the fall, it is hot, humid  and windy here.  We USE ac here and would not live here without it!.

Also in a no refusal possible state.  Last fall I asked the students to stand or sit in the hall outside my door while we talked.  If we needed to discuss a sensitive topic, we took a walk around the outside of the building.  From those of us who are in the same position, my most sincere empathy.  Hopefully clearer heads will turn this argument.  Or require vaccinations. 

hmaria1609

Yesterday, Gov. Northam announced the health emergency will end June 30th:
https://wtop.com/virginia/2021/06/northam-will-let-virginia-coronavirus-state-of-emergency-expire-june-30/
Posted on WTOP Radio online (6/11/21)

spork

Quote from: clean on June 08, 2021, 11:39:46 AM
[. . .]

I will be required to have in person office hours in the Fall.

[. . . ]

Place yourself in your office while students meet with you via Webex. You will be on campus in your designated workspace. Your students prefer the convenience of Webex. Who are you to insist on providing them with inferior customer service by forcing them to be physically present at times that are inconvenient for them?
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

Ruralguy

The President is likely to make a Mission Accomplished speech on July 4 or so. After this, most states remaining in a state of emergency will declare it to be over at the end of July. This assume no resurgence back to pre vaccine levels of disease. Nobody will arrest you for wearing a mask, but it will be almost impossible for you to enforce any measures on your own in US after August 1, or so I predict anyway.