News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Post For Stuff You Wanna Tell People

Started by Parasaurolophus, May 17, 2019, 10:11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Economizer

It is my understanding that the U.S.
POSTAL SERVICE is to update their delivery fleet, having ordered thousands of vehicles of a new design. May I suggest that the operation sounds of the new trucks be as like as possible to those of the previous units. To me, and many others receiving the daily mail, the motors of the P.O. vehicles arriving is a bright spot in the day.
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

Cheerful

Quote from: Economizer on June 11, 2021, 12:39:04 PM
It is my understanding that the U.S.
POSTAL SERVICE is to update their delivery fleet, having ordered thousands of vehicles of a new design. May I suggest that the operation sounds of the new trucks be as like as possible to those of the previous units. To me, and many others receiving the daily mail, the motors of the P.O. vehicles arriving is a bright spot in the day.

Agree, Economizer.  I think I read, however, that the new trucks will be quieter.  They are also quite odd looking, IMHO.

More importantly, may the USPS return to its prior glory -- with a larger variety of stamps, faster delivery of first class mail, and more.

Economizer

Oh, yes. That certainly would be good!
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

Parasaurolophus

The hatchling just gave himself a hickie.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

With a fingernail? (They often do scratch themselves, those little claws are sharp!)

Or...???

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

OneMoreYear

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 16, 2021, 04:49:10 PM
The hatchling just gave himself a hickie.

Aww, the the developmental milestones that are not found in the baby book--baby's first self-hickie (all perfectly normal of course)

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: mamselle on June 17, 2021, 03:53:15 AM
With a fingernail? (They often do scratch themselves, those little claws are sharp!)

Or...???

M.

Nono, by sucking too hard.
I know it's a genus.

evil_physics_witchcraft

I bought some chicken tikka masala at the farmer's market and it is f*cking amazing. It's sooooo good. Everyone should know this. Eating it has improved my mood considerably.

apl68

We have a patron who has been coming by repeatedly lately.  She spotted me walking down the street earlier today trying to go home for lunch and roped me into a conversation.  It soon became apparent that she was experiencing a psychotic episode.  I eventually disentangled myself and got back to work.  She told a member of the staff that she plans to come back here this afternoon.  One of the staff thinks that she may be starting to stalk me.  Hard to tell, as today was only the second time I've spoken with her myself.  She is known locally to have a "history."
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

hmaria1609

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: apl68 on June 23, 2021, 12:18:00 PM
We have a patron who has been coming by repeatedly lately.  She spotted me walking down the street earlier today trying to go home for lunch and roped me into a conversation.  It soon became apparent that she was experiencing a psychotic episode.  I eventually disentangled myself and got back to work.  She told a member of the staff that she plans to come back here this afternoon.  One of the staff thinks that she may be starting to stalk me.  Hard to tell, as today was only the second time I've spoken with her myself.  She is known locally to have a "history."

Sorry to hear this apl68. Can you have someone be on the look out for her when she stops by?

apl68

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on June 23, 2021, 02:15:52 PM
Quote from: apl68 on June 23, 2021, 12:18:00 PM

Sorry to hear this apl68. Can you have someone be on the look out for her when she stops by?

Yes, we've been on the look out.  I've notified the police that she is in the middle of a serious episode.  And is driving around--I saw her take off in her pickup truck after she talked to me.  In the state she's in, she's a potential hazard to herself.  I strongly suspect that the local police have had to deal with her before.  They'll know that she isn't likely a threat to anybody else, and will know to de-escalate if they encounter her.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

ergative

I can tell you're finishing up your big grant, because suddenly I'm getting a bunch of review requests that, judging from the abstracts, all came from your research group.

Also, Frontiers, buddy, no one's going to be able to finish a review in 10 days. Who do you think you're kidding? You bet I smashed that 'extension' button, and if I'm not done in 15 days, I'm going to smash it again. What are you going to do, find someone else? Boo hoo.

ab_grp

Quote from: ergative on June 24, 2021, 03:44:08 AM
I can tell you're finishing up your big grant, because suddenly I'm getting a bunch of review requests that, judging from the abstracts, all came from your research group.

Also, Frontiers, buddy, no one's going to be able to finish a review in 10 days. Who do you think you're kidding? You bet I smashed that 'extension' button, and if I'm not done in 15 days, I'm going to smash it again. What are you going to do, find someone else? Boo hoo.

Ugh... Frontiers... and the 10 days is (from my recollection) regardless of manuscript length and includes weekends and holidays! I also got a re-review "request" and was told to submit it within 4 days (including a weekend and holiday).  That is especially uncool since you can't plan for when a resubmission comes in.  I don't review for them anymore.  The manuscripts I've been asked to review have not been very good anyway.

ergative

Quote from: ab_grp on June 24, 2021, 09:19:19 AM
Quote from: ergative on June 24, 2021, 03:44:08 AM

Ugh... Frontiers... and the 10 days is (from my recollection) regardless of manuscript length and includes weekends and holidays! I also got a re-review "request" and was told to submit it within 4 days (including a weekend and holiday).  That is especially uncool since you can't plan for when a resubmission comes in.  I don't review for them anymore.  The manuscripts I've been asked to review have not been very good anyway.

Yes, I approach them with caution ever since a colleague of mine described reviewing a paper that she thought was unpublishable, which they published anyway, and then put her name on as a reviewer. But they published something of mine last year, so I've used the system and should give back. To be honest, if it had been a blind submission I might not have agreed to review it, but because I know the authors and can be pretty sure they aren't going to submit something I'm ashamed to have my name on as a reviewer, I agreed. Yes, I am part of the problem with the system.