News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Herd your cats here

Started by eigen, May 17, 2019, 02:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larimar

Quote from: statsgeek on October 06, 2021, 05:46:24 AM

(Larimer - we covered our new tree with their towels for a few weeks until it started smelling "right" and now it's their favorite place again.) 

Thanks for the idea, Statsgeek.

AmLitHist

OneMoreYear, we have a cat nursing staff as well. One assists ALHS every morning and night when he takes his BP (she lays her tail across his arm, presumably taking his pulse). The other has a very definite schedule of where to sleep every day and for how long; after ALHS has been off his feet following foot surgery a couple of weeks ago, she's abandoned her schedule to monitor his days, sitting by his big booted foot on the recliner.

Harlow2

Quote from: AmLitHist on October 08, 2021, 10:47:41 AM
OneMoreYear, we have a cat nursing staff as well. One assists ALHS every morning and night when he takes his BP (she lays her tail across his arm, presumably taking his pulse). The other has a very definite schedule of where to sleep every day and for how long; after ALHS has been off his feet following foot surgery a couple of weeks ago, she's abandoned her schedule to monitor his days, sitting by his big booted foot on the recliner.

That's a lovely story.  And hope he's recovering nicely with the bedside attention.

AmLitHist

Thanks, Harlow, he's on the mend! And he's one of those guys who swears allegiance to "dogs only," yet these cats have always had him wrapped around their fingers, er, toe beans!  :-)

apl68

This morning I saw a cat perched atop a board fence like an owl, surveying the neighborhood.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

apl68

Lately I've been seeing a black cat in an alley that I often walk through in the morning.  This morning I saw it there again.  Only a few feet away, behind a fence across the alley, I saw another black creature about its size.  Did it have a twin?  Then I realized that the second creature was actually a tiny black dog.  It was the same color, about the same size, and only a few feet away, so that at a glance they looked like siblings.  What are the odds?
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Larimar

The feral cat we've been feeding has taken to greeting me in the parking lot whenever I get home and get out of my car, and then she'll walk me to the door. It's sweet, but kind of annoying, because I don't want her rubbing against me or my stuff that I then need to take into the house. We don't want our indoor crew exposed to her.

mamselle

How long before you adopt her?

That's clearly what she's angling for.

She knows a good thing when she sees it....

;--}

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

smallcleanrat

When I first posted about Caramelo joining the family, I mentioned he seemed more independent than Maestro (as in, didn't seem to feel much need to seek out attention).

I take it all back. I suppose he just hadn't enough experience being doted on to realize how much he liked it.

For the first several months, he was Maestro's fuzzy little shadow. There were times we had to hold him to allow Maestro a little peace to finish a meal or use the litter box. Caramelo even mirrored Maestro's poses. If Maestro was a bread loaf, so was little brother. If he was curled in a ball, flopped over on his side, or sprawled on his back, there would be the tiny brown mimic a few inches away in exactly the same position. I never knew cats were such imitators!

Caramelo even learned a couple of the Maestro's tricks strictly through observation (without direct training)!

But more recently, it seems the novelty of having a baby brother has worn off somewhat for the Maestro. They still play, groom, and nap together, but Maestro's been asserting a need for regular bouts of kitten-free time (both alone and with his humans).

Thus, Caramelo has gradually started to become *my* shadow, since he knows the charm of his cute kitty face is still as influential as ever with me. He greets me at the door demanding pets and stands on his hind legs to get his head to my hand all the faster. He sleeps at my side as if he's been attached with velcro and never seems to get enough skritches. I love it.

I have a backlog of cat stories and questions from living with two cats with such very different quirks and personalities. Will be deploying them in the near future.

clean

dont delay! 
More cat stories are welcome!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Larimar

Quote from: clean on October 23, 2021, 10:54:34 AM
dont delay! 
More cat stories are welcome!

+1 to this. We look forward to hearing the further adventures of Maestro and Caramelo.

Quote from: mamselle on October 21, 2021, 02:20:59 PM
How long before you adopt her?

That's clearly what she's angling for.

She knows a good thing when she sees it....

;--}

M.

Thanks, Mamselle.

Unfortunately, Mr. Larimar and I cannot adopt our fuzzy outdoor friend. We don't have the space or the budget for more than four kitties. We do try to be a good friend to her though.

Puget

I really should get up and do some things, but Little Calico is stretched out full length on my legs in front of the fire. So I can't possibly move, can I?
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

smallcleanrat

Well...here's a story.

Heard some shuffling noises in my room and looked to see Maestro dragging his teddy bear across the carpet. He then leaped onto my bed with it, mated with it, and is currently spooning with it while he drifts off to sleep.

Caramelo watched the whole process with puzzled fascination.

Um...ewww...

mamselle

Quote from: Puget on October 23, 2021, 05:36:01 PM
I really should get up and do some things, but Little Calico is stretched out full length on my legs in front of the fire. So I can't possibly move, can I?

Absolutely not.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

the_geneticist

It has rained for the first time in months.  The cats are Not Pleased.  Why is the outside wet?  Why is it cold?  Why is there mud? Why is water falling from the sky? Why won't the human staff just fix it?!