Main Menu

Upserd Student Misspellings, Reeducks

Started by Parasaurolophus, February 19, 2020, 10:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

"post pardon depression" [following childbirth]

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: artalot on December 16, 2021, 08:20:07 AM
I haven't gotten this one in a while: tempura instead of tempera. Makes me want sushi while I'm grading.

Prolly not such a great fresco medium, although I will grant that the batter sticks to the fish.
I know it's a genus.

paultuttle

Quote from: Langue_doc on March 09, 2022, 07:01:13 PM

So pregnancy = incarceration?

Huh.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: paultuttle on March 23, 2022, 08:48:26 AM
Quote from: Langue_doc on March 09, 2022, 07:01:13 PM

So pregnancy = incarceration?

Huh.

For the foetus, anyway. That's why they kick and punch and try to build an annex behind your ribs.
I know it's a genus.

Biologist_

Quote from: mamselle on November 22, 2021, 09:54:17 AM
Or when Autocorrect goes in by stealth after you think you've checked everything and changes stuff behind your back.

My phone does that when I'm writing in French. I have to double-check everything twice before hitting send on a text because it refuses to 'learn' the words I use often enough that it ought to 'know them' by now.

(I know I could change languages, but finding the place to do that from keeps changing and making me mad..."

M.

My phone sometimes inserts a word from <alternate language> in the middle of a text message or switches to the foreign language keyboard on the fly. On my phone, I just have to long-press the spacebar to pop up the language selection menu.

I have informed a few of my frequent correspondents that I will leave some of the autocorrect errors in place for their amusement. That way I can balance the annoyance with some mirth when I'm trying to compose something on my phone.

mamselle

I'm always worried that, if I did that, the error might turn out to be considered an obscenity in their language...

;--》

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

I still think it's hard to beat the elementary Spanish student from some years back who turned arroz con pato into arroz con gato.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mamselle

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

J-walking.

Probably related to canoeing...
I know it's a genus.

poiuy

I often get students in my (social science) field who write 'martial' for 'marital', or 'birth rate' instead of 'birth weight'.

Last week I got one new to me: "something oblong those lines"

paultuttle

This was in the U.S. News & World Report this morning, not a student paper, but "galavanting" instead of (I presume) "gallivanting."

[Side note: Who knew that the fantasy musical medieval TV show called "Galavant" was so popular? After all, it was canceled after only two seasons . . . .]

apl68

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on May 17, 2022, 05:56:57 PM
J-walking.

Probably related to canoeing...

It's walking like they walk in Japan.  There was a fad for it awhile back among anime fans in North America.  I've got a couple of CDs of J-pop music, but I've never tried J-walking.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

AmLitHist

I'm grading final 101 papers for summer.  I was just breezing through when one stopped me in my tracks:  it explained the debate over the evils of global worming.

Since we've been talking about basic new kitty care for Kid #1's little family of barn cats, you can probably imagine that it took me a good deal of head-shaking to figure out what was going on, and a little more time to realize that, no, it wasn't just me misreading the text.

Being the curious type, I couldn't resist, so I ran a "find"--the student misspelled "warming" as "worming" 47 times in a 700-word paper.

I'm gettin' too damn old for this......

mamselle

Did you search for it online?

Sorry, but, you know...

Could have been plagiarized and they didn't know any better than to let it stand...

M.

the_geneticist

Classic example of why you can't trust software to proofread for you.  And some folks cannot hear the difference between "worm" and "warm" so it might be a genuine misunderstanding.

But you should also run that through a plagiarism checker.