Including AFRL Summer Faculty Fellowship and Extension Research Award in P&T

Started by kerprof, May 24, 2021, 05:09:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerprof

I received Air Force Research Lab (AFRL) summer faculty fellowship ($23,040) and
Air Force Research Lab visiting faculty research fellowship extension  ($10,000) in 2020.

These research awards/grants are independent grants and did not involve my University. I got paid $23,040 in Summer 2020 and $10,000 in Fall 2020 directly by AFRL.

Is it a good idea to include these awards and the proof of the award notification in my annual report and P&T applications.

Please advise.

kerprof

Quote from: research_prof on May 24, 2021, 05:16:09 AM
Yes, why not including them?

I did not got paid through University. I am worried if this (especially - $10,000 extension grant executed in Fall 2020) is going to be considered as additional moonlighting job...

Golazo

Depends on the rules at your place. The summer is probably* not a problem unless you are on a 12 mo contract. I would have asked for permission for the fall at least--I'm sufficiently cautious that I have something in writing that says that I can do whatever I want in the summer.

*But some places have really strict rules on outside work. Often these aren't enforced unless someone wants to get rid of you.

lightning

Quote from: kerprof on May 24, 2021, 05:09:39 AM
I received Air Force Research Lab (AFRL) summer faculty fellowship ($23,040) and
Air Force Research Lab visiting faculty research fellowship extension  ($10,000) in 2020.

These research awards/grants are independent grants and did not involve my University. I got paid $23,040 in Summer 2020 and $10,000 in Fall 2020 directly by AFRL.

Is it a good idea to include these awards and the proof of the award notification in my annual report and P&T applications.

Please advise.

My university has rules in place, on outside work. Yours probably does, too. Consult with those rules, first, before asking here.

At my university, AFRL direct funding to you would be seen as a plus, as long as it does not interfere with your normal primary duties of bringing in grants to the university.

If your university doesn't have any sorts of rules regarding outside funding not sponsored by your university, they can't hold outside work against you in any formal way. Now, in an informal way, this kind of stuff can affect P&T discussions, even though they are not supposed to, usually introduced in the whisper network, by resentful colleagues who couldn't get what you got.