Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NSF CAREER Grant UPDATE Thread

Started by professing, October 18, 2019, 06:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightofhope

If you go to twitter and search "NSF Career", you will find some awards news

Quote from: happy123 on December 17, 2019, 04:03:54 PM
Hello: Did anyone hear any word from the CHE about the NSF CAREER?

aspiring.academic

Quote from: happy123 on December 17, 2019, 04:03:54 PM
Hello: Did anyone hear any word from the CHE about the NSF CAREER?

The Division of Chemistry has published 12 CAREER awards for this cycle thus far.

Leeloo_Tenenbaum

Quote from: humptydumpty on December 17, 2019, 09:42:33 AM
Quote from: roccabis@egr.msu.edu on December 17, 2019, 07:07:49 AM
Quote from: humptydumpty on December 16, 2019, 11:32:40 AM
Anyone heard from any CMMI programs? A lot of my colleagues got rejections or informal recommendations but CMMI seems to be silent for everyone, not sure why

My PD told me "no one in CMMI will hear before mid to late December"..so I am anxiously waiting!

Thank you for the information! Do you mind sharing when you heard about this? I am anxiously waiting too!

I have spoke with her on November 19.
She said "In CMMI no one will hear before mid to late December. The sure "yes" and sure "no" should hear before the end of the year. The "maybes" will not hear before 2020. That is if there isn't another government shutdown"

deeply_uncertain

I have found couple of CMMI panels (1-day) happening this week. How likely it is to have a panel on CAREER proposals this late?

https://www.nsf.gov/events/advisory.jsp

aspiring.academic

Quote from: deeply_uncertain on December 18, 2019, 06:31:28 AM
I have found couple of CMMI panels (1-day) happening this week. How likely it is to have a panel on CAREER proposals this late?

0%
All CAREER panels are complete at this point. Panels being held now are for solicitations with due dates most likely from September and October. November panels are typically scheduled for January and February.

humptydumpty

Quote from: roccabis@egr.msu.edu on December 18, 2019, 05:28:28 AM
Anyone heard from any CMMI programs? A lot of my colleagues got rejections or informal recommendations but CMMI seems to be silent for everyone, not sure why

My PD told me "no one in CMMI will hear before mid to late December"..so I am anxiously waiting!

She said "In CMMI no one will hear before mid to late December. The sure "yes" and sure "no" should hear before the end of the year. The "maybes" will not hear before 2020. That is if there isn't another government shutdown"

Thank you! I guess then it would be fair to say that if we don't hear within the next 2 days, we are in the "maybe" category? I don't think NSF is operational during holiday week, right?

adamcolson

Quote from: humptydumpty on December 18, 2019, 06:41:47 AM

Thank you! I guess then it would be fair to say that if we don't hear within the next 2 days, we are in the "maybe" category? I don't think NSF is operational during holiday week, right?

I'm not sure if NSF is somehow exempt, but the only official holidays for federal workers are Christmas day and New Year's day. It will probably depend on the individual PM and whether they plan on taking personal time off. In theory, rejection letters could go out at 10 pm (EST) on Christmas Eve.

humptydumpty

Btw, just for everyone's information, I have another grant pending with CMMI since the end of May. So CMMI seems to be slower than usual overall.

deeply_uncertain

Quote from: aspiring.academic on December 18, 2019, 06:39:17 AM
Quote from: deeply_uncertain on December 18, 2019, 06:31:28 AM

0%
All CAREER panels are complete at this point. Panels being held now are for solicitations with due dates most likely from September and October. November panels are typically scheduled for January and February.

Thank you. The PD changed that's why I thought the panel might be delayed. But your timeline seems logical. It's too late to have a CAREER panel now. 

docwalrus

Quote from: ttbeaver on December 17, 2019, 12:29:07 PM
My CAREER is in CMMI ECI. The date changed yesterday to 12/16/20109 but the status is still pending. Is this a bad sign?

No news is still no news.  Usually this corresponds with rejection, but there are always a few exceptions.

happy123

My proposal's status date is July 18, 2019. So far, from this year's CAREER award search, I found that my PO yet not funded any proposal. Should I contact my PO since the status date is not updated after the proposal submission?

aspiring.academic

Quote from: happy123 on December 18, 2019, 09:30:20 AM
My proposal's status date is July 18, 2019. So far, from this year's CAREER award search, I found that my PO yet not funded any proposal. Should I contact my PO since the status date is not updated after the proposal submission?

You can contact your PO for a general inquiry but I'd stray away from being too upfront. You just want to know a general timeframe of when to expect a decision. You want to phrase it in such a way that you'd avoid the general "6 months" response.

aspiring.academic

Quote from: humptydumpty on December 18, 2019, 06:41:47 AM

Not necessarily. Several POs will take leave this week and next so no "news" could simply mean they're out of the office.

adamcolson

Pulling the data (with the constraints suggested earlier) and plugging into JMP, it looks like the directorate of ENG is ahead in announced awards, with CBET as the leading organization.

Dir. Count
BIO   18
CSE   1
EHR   2
ENG   70
GEO   3
MPS   30
Total   124

Organ. Count

AGS      3
AST      1
CBET     39
CCF     1
CHE     12
DEB     4
DMR     11
DMS     4
DRL     1
ECCS  29
EEC     2
HRD    1
IOS    1
MCB    13
PHY    2
Total   124

happy123

Thank you very much to those who replied. I received a call today for amending the budget, although status date is yet the same.